Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 02-16-2009, 10:46 PM #1
Amateur

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JabmasterZ will become famous soon enough
Bank: 1,064.39
Total Points: 3,140.22
Default Learning how to Box

Im 14 years old and I rally wanna learn how to box. I started getting in to boxing last year and a couple weeks ago I decided that I wanted to learn and train. I already purchased a pair of Everlast Training Gloves and as soon as I get my Geometry grade up, my mom is buying me a heavybag to install in our basement. I'm also getting bag gloves and some training DVD's. The only problem is that there are no boxing gyms around in my area. I was just wondering if you guys had any tips of advice for me. I am dedicated and ready to start training.
JabmasterZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 02-17-2009, 06:03 AM #2
Banned

KostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 68,163.53
Total Points: 192,984.53
Broncos FTW! - danc1984 Cheers for the kind words. - brently1979 

hmm learning at a boxing gym is really the only way to go if you want to fight and learn really well.......
KostyaTszyu44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:06 AM #3
Up and Comer

GAMILARAAY is on a distinguished road
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 3,453.04

Make sure you go to a boxing gym aye it is really important that you get taught properly and get in that training environment. Dont bother with a heavy bag at home, the home environment is too comfortable, you have to step right out of that comfort zone.

Find a good gym and a trainer that is willing to put time and effort into you.
GAMILARAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:34 AM #4
she could get it

damian5000 has a reputation beyond reputedamian5000 has a reputation beyond reputedamian5000 has a reputation beyond reputedamian5000 has a reputation beyond reputedamian5000 has a reputation beyond reputedamian5000 has a reputation beyond reputedamian5000 has a reputation beyond reputedamian5000 has a reputation beyond reputedamian5000 has a reputation beyond reputedamian5000 has a reputation beyond reputedamian5000 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 477,957.83
Total Points: 864,753.64

The advice so far is about as dumb as it gets. The kid just said there were no gyms in his area.

Get your heavy bag and DVD's and do the best you can until you're able to put yourself in a situation where you'll be able to get yourself to a gym. Read as much as you can about basic boxing techniques and practice them to the best of your ability. Work on getting your stamina up by jogging, and get your muscles in shape with calisthenics.

Maybe post some videos of yourself training and see if guys can give you some advice on things you might be doing right or wrong.

Good luck man. Don't let there not being any accessible gyms keep you from getting into boxing.
damian5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:33 AM #5
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian5000 View Post
The advice so far is about as dumb as it gets. The kid just said there were no gyms in his area.

Get your heavy bag and DVD's and do the best you can until you're able to put yourself in a situation where you'll be able to get yourself to a gym. Read as much as you can about basic boxing techniques and practice them to the best of your ability. Work on getting your stamina up by jogging, and get your muscles in shape with calisthenics.

Maybe post some videos of yourself training and see if guys can give you some advice on things you might be doing right or wrong.

Good luck man. Don't let there not being any accessible gyms keep you from getting into boxing.
thank you damian. I was starting to wonder if anybody even read what I posted before they replied.

This is actually exactly what I was gonna do. Start off training with DVD's and my heavybag. I know itll be tough because I live in a small town, but this is something I really want to do. Not gonna let anything stop me
Old 02-19-2009, 08:03 PM #6
Amateur

134 views and a whole 3 replies. c'mon ppl, if you got somethin to say, say it
Old 02-19-2009, 09:22 PM #7
Interim Champion

Landon S has a spectacular aura aboutLandon S has a spectacular aura aboutLandon S has a spectacular aura about
Total Points: 29,705.05

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian5000 View Post

THANK YOU! I was reading the other replies thinking the same thing.

You can learn technique by yourself, it may not be perfect but it'll get you close. I taught myself technique with books and videos, when I went to the boxing gym they only corrected 1 thing on my cross and I just had to learn where to keep my hands (be more aware of them). So it definitely can be done.

Develop a good work ethic now, it'll pay off. Start jogging at least three times a week and keep running faster, longer, and more often. Check out rosstraining.com and check out the workout logs for ideas, mine is "Landons 2009 training log". I just started boxing again but theres alot of routines or ideas you could steal to get you in great shape.
Landon S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:45 PM #8
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
boxingsmash69 has a reputation beyond reputeboxingsmash69 has a reputation beyond reputeboxingsmash69 has a reputation beyond reputeboxingsmash69 has a reputation beyond reputeboxingsmash69 has a reputation beyond reputeboxingsmash69 has a reputation beyond reputeboxingsmash69 has a reputation beyond reputeboxingsmash69 has a reputation beyond reputeboxingsmash69 has a reputation beyond reputeboxingsmash69 has a reputation beyond reputeboxingsmash69 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 516,628.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon S View Post
THANK YOU! I was reading the other replies thinking the same thing.

You can learn technique by yourself, it may not be perfect but it'll get you close. I taught myself technique with books and videos, when I went to the boxing gym they only corrected 1 thing on my cross and I just had to learn where to keep my hands (be more aware of them). So it definitely can be done.

Develop a good work ethic now, it'll pay off. Start jogging at least three times a week and keep running faster, longer, and more often. Check out rosstraining.com and check out the workout logs for ideas, mine is "Landons 2009 training log". I just started boxing again but theres alot of routines or ideas you could steal to get you in great shape.
what was initially wrong with your self-taught cross, before being corrected?
boxingsmash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:32 AM #9
Interim Champion

Landon S has a spectacular aura aboutLandon S has a spectacular aura aboutLandon S has a spectacular aura about
Total Points: 29,705.05

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingsmash69 View Post
what was initially wrong with your self-taught cross, before being corrected?
I wasnt using my right shoulder to guard the right side of my chin (aka looking down the barrel) when I threw it and I wasnt twisting far enough...ok so two things.
Landon S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:43 AM #10
Banned

4CornerMessiah has a reputation beyond repute4CornerMessiah has a reputation beyond repute4CornerMessiah has a reputation beyond repute4CornerMessiah has a reputation beyond repute4CornerMessiah has a reputation beyond repute4CornerMessiah has a reputation beyond repute4CornerMessiah has a reputation beyond repute4CornerMessiah has a reputation beyond repute4CornerMessiah has a reputation beyond repute4CornerMessiah has a reputation beyond repute4CornerMessiah has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 999,996,741.50

i have no gym where im at. i guess i gotta show myself how to and videos and some of yall
4CornerMessiah is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
learning

User Tag List