Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
Thread Navigation

Old 02-12-2009, 04:57 AM
46-0
Up and Comer

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 6 46-0 has a reputation beyond repute46-0 has a reputation beyond repute46-0 has a reputation beyond repute46-0 has a reputation beyond repute46-0 has a reputation beyond repute46-0 has a reputation beyond repute46-0 has a reputation beyond repute46-0 has a reputation beyond repute46-0 has a reputation beyond repute46-0 has a reputation beyond repute46-0 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 12,473.29
Default Does a fighter lose punching power with age?

Joe Calzaghe
Marco Antonio Barrera
Roy Jones Jr.

Those are 3 of the more notable examples. I have often heard the saying that the last thing to leave a fighter is his punch, but is that actually true? There is 3 fighters who scored alot of knockouts throughout their careers but then after reaching early 30's the stoppages seemed to... stop coming. This is not an isolated thing, it happens to many fighters.

Any thoughts?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 02-12-2009, 05:50 AM
ellwise69
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 7 ellwise69 has a reputation beyond reputeellwise69 has a reputation beyond reputeellwise69 has a reputation beyond reputeellwise69 has a reputation beyond reputeellwise69 has a reputation beyond reputeellwise69 has a reputation beyond reputeellwise69 has a reputation beyond reputeellwise69 has a reputation beyond reputeellwise69 has a reputation beyond reputeellwise69 has a reputation beyond reputeellwise69 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 14,680,658,983.30
Total Points: 14,680,674,229.89

maybe an increase in the class of competition as their profile is raised maybe?

Calzaghe's got bad hands though and RJJ's power came from his reflexes, which over the years have gotten slower.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:52 AM
Silencers
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 60 Silencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 13,927,280,473,274.86
Total Points: 13,927,284,773,534.27
You're a great poster man!  The site is lucky to have you. - abosworth You're my hero!! :D - Spiegelo It's a pleasure to read your posts. - The_Bringer boxingscene's Top Ten Serious Poster - mickey gomez boxingsences best happy xmas man lets drink to a good 1 good health - The Jackal 
Have an apple bro - danc1984 Happy 09 to one of NSB's finest! - KrisSilver Too many good things to say. But in short, a humble &amp;amp; very knowledgeable poster. - J. HITTER One serious poster of BoxingScene FROM: - FasTHarD Have a beer, for one of the best Posters - Golden Boy 360 
Apple for the teacher, - mitruth from one intelligent  person to another ;) - Massage Queen Floyd Mayweather – Greatest fighter of his era - Malcolm. Boxing Scences Finest Happy bithday - The Jackal To one of Boxing Scene's Elite. - Izrock 
For the fight man - The Jackal For one of Boxingscene's finest! - Shadows No Message - Mucus ATG poster - Mucus Have a slice - Juan Gabriel 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sox8055 Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - The Jackal Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Sox8055 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Sox8055 

Yes, it does leave a fighter as a fighter gets older but it's normally the last thing to go unless the fighter relies on his speed and legs to generate power, speed and legs are normally the first to go with age.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:44 AM
ironjab
Contender

Rep Power: 9 ironjab is a glorious beacon of lightironjab is a glorious beacon of lightironjab is a glorious beacon of lightironjab is a glorious beacon of lightironjab is a glorious beacon of light
Bank: 735,693,813.03
Total Points: 737,713,484.93
cos pacman beat hatton - ironjab because im seeing pearl jam today - ironjab 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencers View Post
Yes, it does leave a fighter as a fighter gets older but it's normally the last thing to go unless the fighter relies on his speed and legs to generate power, speed and legs are normally the first to go with age.
agreed, punching power is a combination of things, not just strength
Old 02-12-2009, 06:50 AM
synchronize
Up and Comer

Total Points: 8,817.95

couldnt of said it better siliencer and iron jab
Old 02-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Dynamite Kid
Slicker than your average

Rep Power: 57 Dynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,742,737,951.31
Total Points: 5,746,531,242.41
Consistently illuminating - abadger quality poster. - Melly-Mel Calm down kid. Take this. You'll learn eventually. - BatTheMan Vastine is the prime example of a Liverpool fan. A bias cunt who talks utter shit but actually believes what he is saying!! - Tuggers1986 A Beer for the Bulldog! - The Surgeon 
We Fresh! - Dorian No Message - cottothechamp Have a brew on me homey - mangler To the fight night creator - Stoppage A beer for one of Boxing Scene's best. - Shadows 
Have a tuna melt - mangler Thanks for all the help! - Shadows Cheers man. just keeping it cool - 120 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - dagrtst Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46-0 View Post
Joe Calzaghe
Marco Antonio Barrera
Roy Jones Jr.

Those are 3 of the more notable examples. I have often heard the saying that the last thing to leave a fighter is his punch, but is that actually true? There is 3 fighters who scored alot of knockouts throughout their careers but then after reaching early 30's the stoppages seemed to... stop coming. This is not an isolated thing, it happens to many fighters.

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't say loses punching power, but their punches lose the same effect, because they are slower and dont have the same velocity,accuracy on them.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Oasis_Lad
Banned

Rep Power: 21591 Oasis_Lad has a reputation beyond reputeOasis_Lad has a reputation beyond reputeOasis_Lad has a reputation beyond reputeOasis_Lad has a reputation beyond reputeOasis_Lad has a reputation beyond reputeOasis_Lad has a reputation beyond reputeOasis_Lad has a reputation beyond reputeOasis_Lad has a reputation beyond reputeOasis_Lad has a reputation beyond reputeOasis_Lad has a reputation beyond reputeOasis_Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 112,036,281,256.06
Total Points: 21,000,113,036,312,336.00
a cake for one of those big titted girls to jum out of. - JAB5239 I know your fimiliar with this, boy - Mucus Apple - ßreakbeat Vaniity - Spray_resistant much love - -Jack- 
No Message - -veteran420- merry xmas - Subtraction beer for you buddy - -pound4pound- welcome back... - BritishBoxing92 Merry Christmas - Flab 
Happy new year! - Toney Loc Fancy a bum? - Tuggers1986 Some of those gifs you be posting are funny ass hell, except the guy initiating the other one in triggs group :rofl: - jose830 Make yourself look pretty, I want to see lipstick around my cock - Master Cvnt GIF Thread: Distinguished Service Medal - Barnburner 
legendary poster!! - PaulieGualtieri I be loving them gifs you post :fing02: - jose830 Miguel Cotto Gifs :wank: - jose830 some popcorn for the gif king - E.P.T. Happy holidays, Lad! - jazluvr 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - shobox Gay and Lesbian Pride - RiΖO Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - mangler Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - PensionKiller Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - S a m u r a i 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - S a m u r a i Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - S a m u r a i Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - S a m u r a i Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - S a m u r a i Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - S a m u r a i 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - S a m u r a i Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - S a m u r a i Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - S a m u r a i Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - S a m u r a i Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JM1 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Ether Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - BritishBoxing92 Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - LeeVanCleef Gay and Lesbian Pride - INSECT Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Ether 

Fighters have certain attributes which could deteriorate and thus effect their punching power, but yes, generally power is seen as the last thing to leave a fighter.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:57 AM
Burning Desire
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 Burning Desire has a reputation beyond reputeBurning Desire has a reputation beyond reputeBurning Desire has a reputation beyond reputeBurning Desire has a reputation beyond reputeBurning Desire has a reputation beyond reputeBurning Desire has a reputation beyond reputeBurning Desire has a reputation beyond reputeBurning Desire has a reputation beyond reputeBurning Desire has a reputation beyond reputeBurning Desire has a reputation beyond reputeBurning Desire has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 141,018.16
Have a frosty pint for Breland - Starling I! - poet682006 Right back at you my man - JAB5239 thx 4 da link ... - -Boxzilla- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46-0 View Post
Joe Calzaghe
Marco Antonio Barrera
Roy Jones Jr.

Any thoughts?
There not really good examples at all to be honest, Joe Calzaghe hasn't had power for years because of his bad hands not because of age. MAB has moved up way above his best weight, which is why he hasn't got that same kind of hitting power anymore.

And Roy Jones still has power he just isn't as offensive anymore, and because he has slowed down. Because remember Roy Jones used to be so fast, alot of his power generated from his lightning quick speed.

I think the last thing to go is your punch no matter what age, unless your moving up way above your weight or ETC. Take guys like Archie Moore, George Foreman, they were still doing a number on opponents in the 40s.

And Jersey Joe Walcott landed one of the hardest and most beautiful punches. To be beat Ezzard Charles and become Heavyweight champion at 37. The only thing that goes like someone said is accuracy, velocity, which is from slowing down not losing power.

Last edited by Burning Desire; 02-12-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:04 AM
BetterCallSaul
Shot!

Rep Power: 36 BetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 107,879,718,932.60
Total Points: 147,899,819,870.38
'Dr Boring' LMAO!!!! - Chunk Funny stuff. - The RealDeal No Message - murfbreak3r Poster of the month award! - The Surgeon Knows what is good for the sport. - deanrw 
Enjoy - rorymac Happy Easter, some e-choccie for you :D - Bossy 

Of course you lose natural punching power with age.

That's like saying do you "age with age". As you get older your muscles and bones deteriorate.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:10 AM
strugler
Banned

Rep Power: 0 strugler has a reputation beyond reputestrugler has a reputation beyond reputestrugler has a reputation beyond reputestrugler has a reputation beyond reputestrugler has a reputation beyond reputestrugler has a reputation beyond reputestrugler has a reputation beyond reputestrugler has a reputation beyond reputestrugler has a reputation beyond reputestrugler has a reputation beyond reputestrugler has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,697,013.64
Total Points: 1,836,735.42
Arriba Mario Lopez! - Perro i forgot the beer.lol. Viva margacotto!!! - strugler Belated 1K Post Gift Homie! - Perro Just in case pacquiao loses. Dont want you to have sour grapes. - {}{}MATADOR{}{} Back at ya bro - chicano79us 

George Foreman was still pretty strong?