I sparred 8 rounds today, 15 last week... - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 11-26-2008, 02:42 PM
mspiegelo
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 13 mspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 722,531.25
Total Points: 817,173.63
You get 1KO in sparring, and BoxScene ranks you undisputed champ. Congrats... - Spiegelo your alt is on crack! lmao - Left Hook Tua No Message - T-97 
Default I sparred 8 rounds today, 15 last week...

I wanted to know what some of you though about this. My first fight is coming up in January at 178. I am in good condition. I am 6'2.5'' and have a really low body fat percentage, under 5%. I ran 3 miles the other day in roughly 19 minutes on a treadmill. I have been training hard for boxing since I started early in 2008.

my coach is conservative and waited till he was very confident that I will win my first fight, before letting me take this fight. i have been bugging him to let me fight since about june, but i see now that it was for the best, because my skills are 1000 times better than they were then.

Anyway, as for the topic of this thread.......

I have always sparred weekly, but never more than 5 rounds until last week. All of a sudden, I finished my 3 rounds going hard with my trainer, but when i left the ring, he told me not to take off my gear. I waited for him to go about 9 more rounds with various guys in the room and then he tells me "you got the rest." there were 4 more guys left, ( weighing 160, 160, 145 (obviously i worked with him a lot focusing on defense and speed), and guy my height (6'2.5''), but in worse shape weighing about 220). I went an additional 12 rounds, doing 3, 2-minute rounds with each of these 4 guys. these were consecutive rounds in which they were fresh and i was fatigued. by the time i faced the big guy, i was getting hit with slow, but powerful punches that would have NEVER hit me before.

after the sparring, i was very tired. i was about to work out, and my trainer laughed and told me that was all for the day. then, I asked my trainer, why 15 rounds if amateur fights are 3, 2-minute rounds for novice. he told me that this is how we will start the camp, and we will cut the rounds and up the intensity until fight week.

as part of that plan, i sparred 4 guys today for 2, 3 minute rounds each. i will also spar friday against a guy from our team that is open 178 who won the silver in the national golden gloves at 201 before he cut weight to go light heavy. i probably won't do more than 4 rounds with him though, and obviously he will be working with me because he is far more experienced....

My question is what do you think about this method of starting with many rounds for overall conditioning, and then cutting down to fewer, more intense rounds as the fight nears? i do not doubt my trainer. he has gotten me much, much, much better and has a track record of great results with many champions on the team, but as a future trainer, I would like to know for my own knowledge. thanks guys.

Last edited by mspiegelo; 11-26-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 11-26-2008, 03:38 PM
shahzadgers
GO SHAWTY...............

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 8,243.91
a TV... for the sport we enjoy watching! - Puntoyhauf 

that actually sounds like a good idea i am fighting in 3 weeks time on december 13th i am 14 and had my 1st fight 1 and a half months ago i gave the guy a whoopin man. and am gonna try that how fast can you run a mile?
Old 11-26-2008, 08:36 PM
mspiegelo
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 13 mspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond repute
You get 1KO in sparring, and BoxScene ranks you undisputed champ. Congrats... - Spiegelo your alt is on crack! lmao - Left Hook Tua No Message - T-97 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahzadgers View Post
that actually sounds like a good idea i am fighting in 3 weeks time on december 13th i am 14 and had my 1st fight 1 and a half months ago i gave the guy a whoopin man. and am gonna try that how fast can you run a mile?
thanks for the feedback. anyone else? punchdrunk?
Old 11-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Landon S
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 10 Landon S has a spectacular aura aboutLandon S has a spectacular aura aboutLandon S has a spectacular aura about
Total Points: 29,454.05

You do need experience but alot of sparring can lead to injuries that could stop the fight or stop you from being 100% on fight night. As long as he tapers it down and stops you from overtraining (it sounds like he is) and is safe then it should be all right. Use common sense, if your feeling run down or "off" then maybe your doing too much somewhere and need to cut back on something for a bit. Work closely with your coach and let him know how your feeling (good, tired, sore etc).
Old 11-27-2008, 03:30 PM
mspiegelo
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon S View Post
You do need experience but alot of sparring can lead to injuries that could stop the fight or stop you from being 100% on fight night. As long as he tapers it down and stops you from overtraining (it sounds like he is) and is safe then it should be all right. Use common sense, if your feeling run down or "off" then maybe your doing too much somewhere and need to cut back on something for a bit. Work closely with your coach and let him know how your feeling (good, tired, sore etc).
thanks. i actually am feeling sore as hell. since its thanksgiving and im off, i didnt have to work last night after sparring, and wont have to go back until saturday, so i can finally get some good rest. today i am just chillin/relaxing/eating and my wife has already massaged my sore neck/traps/ shoulders/ biceps. she's going to give me a full body massage before i go to bed. i need to recover to spar tomorrow. then on saturday, i have scheduled a professional massage for 90 minutes. i have never been worked on by a pro masseuse, so im hoping it will be beneficial for my recovery leading into next week. thanks for your advice!
Old 11-28-2008, 11:21 AM
JoHnNyBoXeR
Pressure busts Pipes!!

Rep Power: 13 JoHnNyBoXeR has a reputation beyond reputeJoHnNyBoXeR has a reputation beyond reputeJoHnNyBoXeR has a reputation beyond reputeJoHnNyBoXeR has a reputation beyond reputeJoHnNyBoXeR has a reputation beyond reputeJoHnNyBoXeR has a reputation beyond reputeJoHnNyBoXeR has a reputation beyond reputeJoHnNyBoXeR has a reputation beyond reputeJoHnNyBoXeR has a reputation beyond reputeJoHnNyBoXeR has a reputation beyond reputeJoHnNyBoXeR has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 23,393,510.30
Total Points: 23,588,390.28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspiegelo View Post
I wanted to know what some of you though about this. My first fight is coming up in January at 178. I am in good condition. I am 6'2.5'' and have a really low body fat percentage, under 5%. I ran 3 miles the other day in roughly 19 minutes on a treadmill. I have been training hard for boxing since I started early in 2008.

my coach is conservative and waited till he was very confident that I will win my first fight, before letting me take this fight. i have been bugging him to let me fight since about june, but i see now that it was for the best, because my skills are 1000 times better than they were then.

I have always sparred weekly, but never more than 5 rounds until last week. All of a sudden, I finished my 3 rounds going hard with my trainer, but when i left the ring, he told me not to take off my gear. I waited for him to go about 9 more rounds with various guys in the room and then he tells me "you got the rest." there were 4 more guys left, ( weighing 160, 160, 145 (obviously i worked with him a lot focusing on defense and speed), and guy my height (6'2.5''), but in worse shape weighing about 220). I went an additional 12 rounds, doing 3, 2-minute rounds with each of these 4 guys. these were consecutive rounds in which they were fresh and i was fatigued. by the time i faced the big guy, i was getting hit with slow, but powerful punches that would have NEVER hit me before.

after the sparring, i was very tired. i was about to work out, and my trainer laughed and told me that was all for the day. then, I asked my trainer, why 15 rounds if amateur fights are 3, 2-minute rounds for novice. he told me that this is how we will start the camp, and we will cut the rounds and up the intensity until fight week.

as part of that plan, i sparred 4 guys today for 2, 3 minute rounds each. i will also spar friday against a guy from our team that is open 178 who won the silver in the national golden gloves at 201 before he cut weight to go light heavy. i probably won't do more than 4 rounds with him though, and obviously he will be working with me because he is far more experienced....

My question is what do you think about this method of starting with many rounds for overall conditioning, and then cutting down to fewer, more intense rounds as the fight nears? i do not doubt my trainer. he has gotten me much, much, much better and has a track record of great results with many champions on the team, but as a future trainer, I would like to know for my own knowledge. thanks guys.

Thats wassup!! I sparred Wesly last week and was supposed to spar Peralta and Wesley and some other guy on Tuesday but I couldnt make it to the gym cuz im in Florida now for the Holidays .. btu wen i get back imma go hard cuz my baby is being born in January so imma go all out until then
Old 11-29-2008, 02:12 PM
mspiegelo
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWater39 View Post
Thats wassup!! I sparred Wesly last week and was supposed to spar Peralta and Wesley and some other guy on Tuesday but I couldnt make it to the gym cuz im in Florida now for the Holidays .. btu wen i get back imma go hard cuz my baby is being born in January so imma go all out until then
thats sick bro, wesley and peralta are no joke. keep up your roadwork and shadowboxing down there so that you stay in shape and maybe ray will let us have our debuts on the same card. have a good vacation buddy!
Old 11-29-2008, 02:20 PM
mspiegelo
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahzadgers View Post
i dont know. the last time i did it for time, it was pretty slow- like 6:20. that 19 minute mile was the fastest timed distance piece i have done in general... i might time a mile later this month though. i'm thinking i can probably get it around 6:00, but I would be thrilled if I could break into the 5's...
Old 11-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Yugi18
Amateur

Total Points: 1,589.14

Hello, How many miles do you run per weerk? And Do you run always on treadmill or do you run outdoor?
Old 11-30-2008, 03:44 PM
KostyaTszyu44
Banned

Rep Power: 0 KostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 68,163.53
Total Points: 190,878.53
Broncos FTW! - danc1984 Cheers for the kind words. - brently1979 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspiegelo View Post

well i sparred something like 20 or 25 rounds in a week preparing for my last fight, and like 15 the week before that but then i tapered down and just did padwork in the 4 days or so leading up to tha fight and i fought pretty alright even tho i lost so meh sounds good more sparrign the better man

Last edited by KostyaTszyu44; 11-30-2008 at 03:47 PM.

Share This With Friends

Tags
rounds, sparred, today, week...

User Tag List