Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 11-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Simpkon
Amateur

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 3,997.03
Default Hey guys.. question for ya..

To start it off.. I am in no way near close the shape it requires to be a boxer. However, that is my goal in visiting this forum. I think that boxers are some of the best athletes in the world. It takes so much stamina to do what you guys do. With all that being said, I was really interested in putting on some gloves and hitting a bag. I used to play football for 8 years back until I tore tendons in my shoulder. I am pretty out of shape, but that is my primary goal. I want to get in shape and make myself a healthy diet.

I want a life style change more then anything..

Here is my dilema though.. I work 10 hours a day, monday-friday. I sit on my butt all day and there are restuarants surrounding me. Should I pack a lunch rather then eat from them? What should I be eating? How often?

Do you guys see any benefit from me just getting a punching bag and some glvoes and just hitting it around for some fun and excerise? Any input from you would be great..

How bad does it hurt your body to just eat 1 meal a day and thats it and have a regular work out schedule of lifts?

Again I am not an inspiring boxer but I do admire their lifestyle and would like to try and be as disciplined in my regime as one.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 11-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Oriachim
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 8 Oriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 5,140,431.48

One meal a day will hurt unless that meal is packing some serious calories. Just punching the bag will improve stamina (punching wise) and obviously your punching power. If you wanna train as a boxer to get fit, go for it, it is a awesome lifestyle, you'll feel 10x better about yourself.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Simpkon
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriachim View Post
One meal a day will hurt unless that meal is packing some serious calories. Just punching the bag will improve stamina (punching wise) and obviously your punching power. If you wanna train as a boxer to get fit, go for it, it is a awesome lifestyle, you'll feel 10x better about yourself.
So should I eat a small breakfast lunch and dinner? with just decent foods and train in the morning and night?
Old 11-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Landon S
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 8 Landon S has a spectacular aura aboutLandon S has a spectacular aura aboutLandon S has a spectacular aura about
Total Points: 26,566.05

Only thing you should change food wise is what you eat. Just eat good wholesome food like cottage cheese, chicken, vegetable, beans etc etc. Anything that comes in plastic wrap or a coulourful box is generally bad. I only shop in the canned food, dairy, meat, and produce sections of the stores.

Buying a bag to hit is a great first step, consider a speedbag since when you get really good at it you "feel" like a fighter doing it. Run every once and a while and do some general calisthenics and you'll be in good shape. Maybe you'll get more serious about it once you start seeing a change and get addicted to the lifestyle, who knows.. Best of luck buddy
Old 11-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Oriachim
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 8 Oriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 5,140,431.48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpkon View Post
So should I eat a small breakfast lunch and dinner? with just decent foods and train in the morning and night?
Yeah 3-5 small meals a day is reccomended to lose weight as it will give calories while you're training. Personally I only train at night, sometimes I go for a jog in the morning. Basically cut the burgers, chips etc and just train, then you'll see results. Not like this idiot I saw before "I wanna eat pop tarts and donughts and I wanna get slim", for my to be allowed to box, I had to sacrifice my cheribed food and beer. (tho I do eat fast foods and drink beer rarely). Oh and running when you wake up and having a small breakfast will kickstart the metalobism.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Simpkon
Amateur

Awesome advice guys I am so glad I asked these questions. I am going to go out and buy a bag. I am going to try to run as much as I can and go from there.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:45 PM
ScottDBA
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 7 ScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud of
Bank: 372,214.06
Total Points: 391,857.68
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - bearman3000 

Six smaller meals throughout the day instead of three main ones. That way you should never be hungry and won't overeat when it's finally time to have a meal.

Lots of vegetables and lean meats.

Heavy bag is a good workout. Get a skipping rope too. Skipping is a great warm up and will burn calories. Also, you mentioned getting a bag and gloves, don't forget to get some handwraps as well, and learn to wrap your hands properly (there's plenty of demos online).

Good luck.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Simpkon
Amateur

Thanks for the good advice again, guys. I will make sure to get hand wraps.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:47 PM
THE REED™
Most Definitely

Rep Power: 200000 THE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,499,699,996,882,247,680.00
Total Points: 1,499,701,020,829,090,560.00
For being so BOSS! - komodo Straight up G! - komodo Thanks man :hail: - komodo Top man! - komodo BOSS - komodo 
Good talking boxing sir - Atreyu Khalil 50k Posts - Unknown Champ for the Super 50,000 post... - jose830 Congrats on 50K solid KO's.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 50k Posts - BulgariasFinest 
50,000 - TBear Super Mod! Congrats on 50k Reed :D - Bossy 50K - -Mustang- 50k, congrats bro - MELLY-MEL... can't be touched. - Body Movin' 
Happy holidays bro! - led* Happy Birthday champ! - LoadedWraps Congrats on engagement! - Spacey1991 your daughter is adorable, Bless her :fing02: - -jose- is good to put a face to the name THE REED™ even doe you look nothing how I expected lol...I'll give you an 8.5 out of 10...good luck with your future wife :usa2: - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BattlingNelson Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - dans01234 AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - !! AI-Holmes!! Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - S a m u r a i 
Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - S a m u r a i Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - S a m u r a i Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - mangler AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - -veteran420- Head and Neck Cancer - Dominicano Soy! 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Makavelli Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Makavelli Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - QUELOQUE 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Freedom Fighter Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dorian.. Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - iBreakbeat Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Dorian Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Atreyu Khalil 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDBA View Post
Six smaller meals throughout the day instead of three main ones. That way you should never be hungry and won't overeat when it's finally time to have a meal.

Lots of vegetables and lean meats.

Heavy bag is a good workout. Get a skipping rope too. Skipping is a great warm up and will burn calories. Also, you mentioned getting a bag and gloves, don't forget to get some handwraps as well, and learn to wrap your hands properly (there's plenty of demos online).

Good luck.
what he said

u want 6-7 meals a day... but small meals... not enough to make u full... but enough to make your hunger go away.... thats what keeps ur metabolism pumping and cutting calories... eating one meal aday will slow ur metabolism down all the way
Old 11-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Simpkon
Amateur

Thats the mistake I am making then. I was losing a lot of weight but I didn't feel like I was getting stronger or cutting at all. I felt like I actually got weaker.