Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
View Poll Results: who is better and more skilled?
mayweather 57 71.25%
Calslappy 17 21.25%
gamboa tko1 calslappy 8 10.00%
gamboa tko1 gayweather 5 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Navigation

Old 11-18-2008, 02:18 PM
bsrizpac
Banned

Rep Power: 0 bsrizpac has a reputation beyond reputebsrizpac has a reputation beyond reputebsrizpac has a reputation beyond reputebsrizpac has a reputation beyond reputebsrizpac has a reputation beyond reputebsrizpac has a reputation beyond reputebsrizpac has a reputation beyond reputebsrizpac has a reputation beyond reputebsrizpac has a reputation beyond reputebsrizpac has a reputation beyond reputebsrizpac has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 285,569.44
A very knowledgable guy. - ABOSWORTH for making viva mexico look like a dumb ass daily - Pico Hollywood Good poster - Tek My Pounches 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisSilver View Post
Mayweather is a more technically skilled all round orthodox boxer. Defence is better, no major weaknesses.

Calzaghe has better skills in using wide angles, different styles.

I voted for...........Mayweather.

Thanks for the faith
Crack kills.....
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 11-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Chase8400
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Chase8400 has a reputation beyond reputeChase8400 has a reputation beyond reputeChase8400 has a reputation beyond reputeChase8400 has a reputation beyond reputeChase8400 has a reputation beyond reputeChase8400 has a reputation beyond reputeChase8400 has a reputation beyond reputeChase8400 has a reputation beyond reputeChase8400 has a reputation beyond reputeChase8400 has a reputation beyond reputeChase8400 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 680,644.00
Total Points: 714,222.96
Cheers to Vitali! - Marciano 49-0 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Leonard View Post
But if we are thinking that way, we would have to put Floyd at his best weight, which was at lightweight. As he moved up, got older, and his mindset changed, he became cautious and defensive. Back in the day he fought to win from the start; he doesn't do that anymore; everything is carefully planned just to get by without getting hurt.
Agreed, but he never had the workrate of Calzaghe and we know he couldn't hurt him. It's not a diss, it's just that if Oscar and Castillo can almost beat him, Calzaghe would do the trick in my opinion.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Dawerlzgreatest
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 7 Dawerlzgreatest has a reputation beyond reputeDawerlzgreatest has a reputation beyond reputeDawerlzgreatest has a reputation beyond reputeDawerlzgreatest has a reputation beyond reputeDawerlzgreatest has a reputation beyond reputeDawerlzgreatest has a reputation beyond reputeDawerlzgreatest has a reputation beyond reputeDawerlzgreatest has a reputation beyond reputeDawerlzgreatest has a reputation beyond reputeDawerlzgreatest has a reputation beyond reputeDawerlzgreatest has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 44,024.24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Barracuda View Post
typical calslappy fan. calslappy cant even throw a punch correctly and got his ginny ass dropped by jones and hopkins.
guinea
Old 11-18-2008, 02:47 PM
j.razor
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 0 j.razor is infamous around these partsj.razor is infamous around these partsj.razor is infamous around these partsj.razor is infamous around these partsj.razor is infamous around these partsj.razor is infamous around these partsj.razor is infamous around these partsj.razor is infamous around these partsj.razor is infamous around these partsj.razor is infamous around these partsj.razor is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 16,995.64

Mayweather & cal-slappy should NEVER be put in da same sentence again!!
Old 11-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Benny Leonard
Liberty

Rep Power: 25 Benny Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Leonard has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 759,465.21
Total Points: 1,243,045.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase8400 View Post
Agreed, but he never had the workrate of Calzaghe and we know he couldn't hurt him. It's not a diss, it's just that if Oscar and Castillo can almost beat him, Calzaghe would do the trick in my opinion.
He had problems with Castillo in the first fight, but Floyd was injured, so it is understandable...especially since this was a prime Castillo. The second fight Floyd did fine.

With Oscar, this is when Floyd became more cautious and I think it had to do with not wanting to lose the "O" as well as being the smaller man. He said he started to fight cautious because he has kids and has a different mindset than when he was younger. I think it was prior to him fighting Hatton he said this; or maybe it was Oscar. Somebody will remember on this board.

I can just see the Mayweathers coming up with a game-plan to beat Calzaghe. Calzaghe's main weapon is to keep attacking with flurries, but when he does this, he leaves himself open. One thing about Floyd, he doesn't panic, which I think would be key. In addition, he also seems to know when to counter, when to hit, even when he is up against the ropes. Of course he can get caught like everybody else, but he is so good, so smart, the he gets away with it. He would have to fight like his lightweight self in my opinion because he would have to take risks, as well as bring back his combinations and punch-out-put, instead of the pot-shot version that declined with his jab, similar to Roy Jones Jr. Floyd became like Roy; both took risks and fought better when they were younger.

Floyd back then also had a nice jab as well as that quick left hook. Of course, he also had the right cross, the sweet uppecut etc. to go along with his arsenal.

I do think P4P that Calzaghe's style is nice and I think he is hell for anybody to fight...but I often wonder if he, like some others that didn't move up, if he had to fight some of the greats at LH how would he have done?
Remember, 168 is a fairly new division given the long history of boxing...that's why I wonder.

Last edited by Benny Leonard; 11-18-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Chase8400
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Chase8400 has a reputation beyond reputeChase8400 has a reputation beyond reputeChase8400 has a reputation beyond reputeChase8400 has a reputation beyond reputeChase8400 has a reputation beyond reputeChase8400 has a reputation beyond reputeChase8400 has a reputation beyond reputeChase8400 has a reputation beyond reputeChase8400 has a reputation beyond reputeChase8400 has a reputation beyond reputeChase8400 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 680,644.00
Total Points: 714,222.96
Cheers to Vitali! - Marciano 49-0 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Leonard View Post
He had problems with Castillo in the first fight, but Floyd was injured, so it is understandable...especially since this was a prime Castillo. The second fight Floyd did fine.

With Oscar, this is when Floyd became more cautious and I think it had to do with not wanting to lose the "O" as well as being the smaller man. He said he started to fight cautious because he has kids and has a different mindset than when he was younger. I think it was prior to him fighting Hatton he said this; or maybe it was Oscar. Somebody will remember on this board.

I can just see the Mayweathers coming up with a game-plan to beat Calzaghe. Calzaghe's main weapon is to keep attacking with flurries, but when he does this, he leaves himself open. One thing about Floyd, he doesn't panic, which I think would be key. He would have to fight like his lightweight self in my opinion because he would have to take risks, as well as bring back his combinations and punch-out-put, instead of the pot-shot version that declined with his jab, similar to Roy Jones Jr. Floyd became like Roy; both took risks and fought better when they were younger.

Floyd back then also had a nice jab as well as that quick left hook. Of course, he also had the right cross, the sweet uppecut etc. to go along with his arsenal.

I do think P4P that Calzaghe's style is nice and I think he is hell for anybody to fight...but I often wonder if he, like some others that didn't move up, if he had to fight some of the greats at LH how would he have done?
Remember, 168 is a fairly new division given the long history of boxing...that's why I wonder.
I can def see where you are coming from and I respect that opinion. You acually might be right. But, if I had to bet on it, I would have to say that Calzaghe's work, in and out will be too much for Floyd to deal with the whole fight and eventually will cave in from it. The jab is the key to beating Calzaghe and while Floyd has a great one, I don't see PBF being able to use it effectively enough. When Jones jabbed fast and acurate, Joe had no clue how to come in. I think he would have came in after the jab anyways and got caught had Jones stayed with the gameplan. Unfortunately Jones is old and never commited to the jab like Floyd has. This being said, if Floyd could keep a jab on Calzaghe's chin all night and i mean ALL NIGHT, he has a chance to win. Otherwise, Joe's workrate takes him to a UD, that is allot closer than the Kessler-Calzaghe fight. Take from this what you will.

Afterall, I still picked Floyd as the better, more skilled fighter. I just don't think he could beat Joe best fight to best fight.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Benny Leonard
Liberty

Rep Power: 25 Benny Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Leonard has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 759,465.21
Total Points: 1,243,045.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase8400 View Post
I can def see where you are coming from and I respect that opinion. You acually might be right. But, if I had to bet on it, I would have to say that Calzaghe's work, in and out will be too much for Floyd to deal with the whole fight and eventually will cave in from it. The jab is the key to beating Calzaghe and while Floyd has a great one, I don't see PBF being able to use it effectively enough. When Jones jabbed fast and acurate, Joe had no clue how to come in. I think he would have came in after the jab anyways and got caught had Jones stayed with the gameplan. Unfortunately Jones is old and never commited to the jab like Floyd has. This being said, if Floyd could keep a jab on Calzaghe's chin all night and i mean ALL NIGHT, he has a chance to win. Otherwise, Joe's workrate takes him to a UD, that is allot closer than the Kessler-Calzaghe fight. Take from this what you will.

Afterall, I still picked Floyd as the better, more skilled fighter. I just don't think he could beat Joe best fight to best fight.
I always thought a great jabber would give Joe trouble. Imagine a Hearns type fighter against Joe. Hearns was out-boxing Sugar Ray Leonard...which is also why I wanted to test some people on this board a while back just to see if they thought Floyd would beat Hearns at 147. In my opinion, and this isn't a P4P type thing we are talking about, if Floyd fought Hearns, he would lose. I know it's not fair given Floyd's weight wasn't a natural welter, but people were getting ahead of themselves I thought with Floyd being a "great" Welter.

Sometimes work-rate can over-come great talent. I think this was the case in the first fight between Sugar Ray Robinson and Jake LaMotta in their first match, although; itís not quite the same because SRR was a welterweight moving up to fight Jake, a middle. Plus, SRR would have future fights with him and adapt to win. Tough fights though. And I wouldn't count Frazier vs. Ali (I) given Ali's decline in overall ability.

One thing that is different than the SRR and JK fight, and I donít think we mentioned it yet is that Joe is kind of a tall fighter. Iím not quite sure how we work it out P4P wise since bigger weight guys tend to be taller, and Iím not sure what the average height is for a lightweight and a Super-middle.
One fight that could have solved this is a fight between Floyd and Paul Williams. It wouldnít be exact given Floyd is a naturally smaller man and Williams is basically a dieted down middle, as well as being taller than everybody at the weight class, as well as Joe, but it would have given us an idea. The height, speed, even power, and punch-out-put from Williams would be difficult for Floyd and would be his toughest challenge; even Roger said that.

Angles: I think if Floyd would move around and use angles he would give Joe problems. It's what I think a young Roy would have done, even though Roy still sometimes liked going up against the ropes and use his counters.

Last edited by Benny Leonard; 11-18-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:38 PM
roundingace
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 9 roundingace has a reputation beyond reputeroundingace has a reputation beyond reputeroundingace has a reputation beyond reputeroundingace has a reputation beyond reputeroundingace has a reputation beyond reputeroundingace has a reputation beyond reputeroundingace has a reputation beyond reputeroundingace has a reputation beyond reputeroundingace has a reputation beyond reputeroundingace has a reputation beyond reputeroundingace has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 26,557.08
Total Points: 30,071.64

Mayweather > JC. Nothing more needs to be said.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:56 PM
JAB5239
Banned

Rep Power: 0 JAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 19,946,911,790,948.20
Total Points: 19,946,911,863,594.65
For giving me a chance to learn from the best. - DWiens421 For posting endless wisdom - Massage Queen keep dropping knowledge jabs - Makavelli To my friend Jab. One of the SUPERstars of Boxingscene. - BattlingNelson A toast homey. Here's to one of the site's best posters. - mangler 
Keeping History Alive - 0Rooster4Life0 Although we may disagree, I completely understand you. - Dominicano Soy! A lucky charm 4 ya homey - mangler To my boy JAB for keeping it real at all times - Kevin Jesus To a cool guy - Stoppage 
for being a heavyweight in history section - led For a friend and a guy who really knows his stuff. - Lorily Great Poster and Moderator. - Barnburner For your boxing knowledge and insightful threads. - Barnburner For being a noble gent and for top posts! - Sugarj 
To one of the nicest members on this forum. Knows boxing also! - Terry A For all the Boxing knowledge shared - BulgariasFinest For a great guy - jazluvr Thanks for your continued friendship &amp; for sharing your wealth of boxing knowledge w/ us! - Terry A Cheers mate. Loving the section. - BennyST 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 

Floyd.......by far!!