Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 11-02-2008, 01:07 AM
antonio30
Contender

Rep Power: 10 antonio30 has a reputation beyond reputeantonio30 has a reputation beyond reputeantonio30 has a reputation beyond reputeantonio30 has a reputation beyond reputeantonio30 has a reputation beyond reputeantonio30 has a reputation beyond reputeantonio30 has a reputation beyond reputeantonio30 has a reputation beyond reputeantonio30 has a reputation beyond reputeantonio30 has a reputation beyond reputeantonio30 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 41,967.27
Default I have a question regarding protein

Im about 143 right now trying to get down to fight at 135

I have a thin frame so I want to add muscle

if I take protein will that help me gain muscle and help me get a bit bigger

and will it still let me drop the weight

im asking these because a bunch of people have told me that taking protein shakes just make you gain weight. They do get you biggger but you gain weight

so pretty much the question is if I take protein will it affect me when I try to lose the finl 8 lbs for the weigh in
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 11-02-2008, 02:01 AM
Equilibrium
Knuckles Up

Rep Power: 20 Equilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 845,370,338,655.42
Total Points: 845,370,341,673.46
Thanks for your help! - Bendigo On Me! - Izrock I'm sick of the fangirls. You a real boxing fan bro - mangler 2k posts man - you are one of the very best on here - you need to post more - Dan... the point giver thanks thee for the incredible generosity - the point giver 
parallelogram sa inyo - Jack Napier early xmas present - jazluvr thread contribution and for after your wake and bake! - HUGH JASS 

It will be hard lose 8 pounds and gain muscle, unless you are a bit chubby but i doubt that. It also depends on how much muscle you want to gain, but muscle always weights more than fat. I would not suggest drinking protein shakes, because it's likely that you will gain weight. I would suggest just eating stuff that are high in protein; chicken, fish, eggs, nuts, ect. While slowy adding muscle to your frame.

Good luck.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Trrmo
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 8 Trrmo is a glorious beacon of lightTrrmo is a glorious beacon of lightTrrmo is a glorious beacon of lightTrrmo is a glorious beacon of lightTrrmo is a glorious beacon of light
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 57,337.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio30 View Post

im asking these because a bunch of people have told me that taking protein shakes just make you gain weight. They do get you biggger but you gain weight

so pretty much the question is if I take protein will it affect me when I try to lose the finl 8 lbs for the weigh in
You cant gain muscle and lose weight at the same time. If you want to gain muscle you need to consume more calories than you burn. The calories need to come from Carbohydrates , fats and protein. Not just protein. Studies show that you need ideally at least .9 grams of protein per pound you weigh. You can get the protein through meat, milk, tuna,, eggs etc, or you can use a protein powder to supplement if you are not eating enough protein.

So if you want to gain muscle and get bigger you need to eat and work out. This will cause weight gain in the form of muscle and fat. It is unavoidable. You need to determine what is your priority right now, making weight for boxing or gaining muscle. You could also wait until off season and then do a bulking program.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:23 AM
MaTTuP
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 8 MaTTuP has a reputation beyond reputeMaTTuP has a reputation beyond reputeMaTTuP has a reputation beyond reputeMaTTuP has a reputation beyond reputeMaTTuP has a reputation beyond reputeMaTTuP has a reputation beyond reputeMaTTuP has a reputation beyond reputeMaTTuP has a reputation beyond reputeMaTTuP has a reputation beyond reputeMaTTuP has a reputation beyond reputeMaTTuP has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 108,439.39
Total Points: 138,047.09
Send a message via AIM to MaTTuP

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio30 View Post

You'll be fine doing that. Before school sidetracked me I was doing the same thing and it was working. I was dropping a pound or 2 a week. Make sure you do lots of running.
And most importantly, cut lunch out of your day and count that protein shake as your meal along with fruit/nuts, etc.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:11 AM
JulioCesaChavez
Banned

Rep Power: 0 JulioCesaChavez has a reputation beyond reputeJulioCesaChavez has a reputation beyond reputeJulioCesaChavez has a reputation beyond reputeJulioCesaChavez has a reputation beyond reputeJulioCesaChavez has a reputation beyond reputeJulioCesaChavez has a reputation beyond reputeJulioCesaChavez has a reputation beyond reputeJulioCesaChavez has a reputation beyond reputeJulioCesaChavez has a reputation beyond reputeJulioCesaChavez has a reputation beyond reputeJulioCesaChavez has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 15,672.48
Total Points: 42,442.25
2 start you off.. - The Gully Gad Here's an early Holiday present bro... - The Scientist No Message - woftam Stuff this up your butt you homosexual French towelhead. Mohammed would not approve of your flashy ways. Buy bombs not 1k Boss jackets. Kill the infidel! - Mizzou HERE YOU GO - ??? 
big up - siablo14 

If you want to make the weight then forget about the muscle part. You may get leaner and look bigger anyway. Leaner muscles look bigger in general but don't worry about it. You can't acheive two conflicting goals at once.

Peace.