problems with straight punches/jabs - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 11-06-2004, 08:04 PM
nammyboy
Amateur

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0 nammyboy has a reputation beyond reputenammyboy has a reputation beyond reputenammyboy has a reputation beyond reputenammyboy has a reputation beyond reputenammyboy has a reputation beyond reputenammyboy has a reputation beyond reputenammyboy has a reputation beyond reputenammyboy has a reputation beyond reputenammyboy has a reputation beyond reputenammyboy has a reputation beyond reputenammyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 13,272.00
Default problems with straight punches/jabs

What's up everyone,

I have no problems throwing hooks and upper cuts to the body or head, but when it comes to straight punches and jabs i am more tenative, because i feel less power from those punches. any suggestions on how to improve the strength in those punches? Thanks in advance..
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 11-06-2004, 08:46 PM
rsl
Banned

Rep Power: 0 rsl has a reputation beyond reputersl has a reputation beyond reputersl has a reputation beyond reputersl has a reputation beyond reputersl has a reputation beyond reputersl has a reputation beyond reputersl has a reputation beyond reputersl has a reputation beyond reputersl has a reputation beyond reputersl has a reputation beyond reputersl has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 58,864.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by nammyboy
What's up everyone,

I have no problems throwing hooks and upper cuts to the body or head, but when it comes to straight punches and jabs i am more tenative, because i feel less power from those punches. any suggestions on how to improve the strength in those punches? Thanks in advance..
My first question would be do you have a boxing coach? How do you throw your jab and straight punch? So here's my suggestion for the straight punchand it shouldn't be anymore different than what someone else posts in response to your question. These are very basic punches it all has to do with the twisting of the hips, and a little pivot off the backfoot the twisting of the hips and pivot of the backfoot should be simultaneous and drive that shoulder this should all be in one motion and DO NOT LIFT YOUR ELBOW UP, its sloppy, you can throw your shoulder out and it telegraphs your punches. Throw from the shoulders. Now as far as jabbing, to be honest with you, jabbing is my weakest punch however I don't think it's because of poor technique and I haven't been told by my coaches that, that is the case. I think that I know I have power in all my punches that jabbing wasn't important to me, however I am aware that jabbing is the most important punch in boxing. So anyhow as far as improving on jabbing with authority it's pretty much the same as throwing the straight punch as far as the mechanics of it is concerned again don't lift your elbows up and twist your hips instead of just snapping and extending your arm and like with everything else....practice, practice, practice..... A good drill for improving your jab is with the mitts.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:04 PM
blockburna944
Contender

Rep Power: 13 blockburna944 has a reputation beyond reputeblockburna944 has a reputation beyond reputeblockburna944 has a reputation beyond reputeblockburna944 has a reputation beyond reputeblockburna944 has a reputation beyond reputeblockburna944 has a reputation beyond reputeblockburna944 has a reputation beyond reputeblockburna944 has a reputation beyond reputeblockburna944 has a reputation beyond reputeblockburna944 has a reputation beyond reputeblockburna944 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 458,578.91
Total Points: 466,024.91

Funny, i had pretty much the opposite problem when i started out (probably because i'm fairly lanky, so jabs and straights were to my advantage).

A lot of what the jab is good for is to "feel out" where your opponent is, find out how your opponent reacts to offense, and keep control of the ring. It can be used hundreds of ways as far as strategy goes. I'd says its more important to develop speed and accuracy to a jab (done by speed bag, shadow boxing, and quick hits to a heavy bag) than strength. Be sure to focus on accuracy, snapping your arm, and returning it to your guard position as quickly as possible. Power will come with repetition, but a power jab can be thrown by using the same arm motion but bending the knees slightly and transferring more weight to your front leg. Always make sure to keep your wrist straight and and connect the punch at a nearly full extention of the arm (don't hyperextend) for both jabs and straights. Again, being able to do this effectively comes with practice.

The straight is probably my most effective punch as far as power, speed, and accuracy goees. I practice it in front of a mirror shadowboxing, on the mitts, and on a heavy bag. It has a similar motion to a jab, but should be done with with more lunge and bending of knees for power. Also, your shoulder should protect your chin and some of your cheek when you throw it.

Both punches should always be thrown straight out, so a body shout has to be done by lowering your stance.

Once again, practice with the punch will give you better control so you can put more power into it.

While a solid hook or uppercut packs more power, the beauty about hooks and jabs is that they get you more points while consuming less energy and that they can be worked into just about any combination to add damage and score points. One of my favorites is a 1-2-3-2 (jab, straight, hook from your jab hand, and another straight) with jabs added on to the beginning and end.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:28 AM
leff
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 45 leff has a reputation beyond reputeleff has a reputation beyond reputeleff has a reputation beyond reputeleff has a reputation beyond reputeleff has a reputation beyond reputeleff has a reputation beyond reputeleff has a reputation beyond reputeleff has a reputation beyond reputeleff has a reputation beyond reputeleff has a reputation beyond reputeleff has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,089,282.86
Send a message via MSN to leff

This probably got something to do with your anatomi, if your short at your weight its harder to be a good jabber.

But dont need to take em out with the jabb, against opponents thats taller than me and thats often, i jabb a hell a lot so my jabb is in the way for them.

And go in with hooks, uppercuts and overhand rights. And these punches are useally a lot more powerful.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:24 AM
acquitted
Banned

Rep Power: 0 acquitted has a reputation beyond reputeacquitted has a reputation beyond reputeacquitted has a reputation beyond reputeacquitted has a reputation beyond reputeacquitted has a reputation beyond reputeacquitted has a reputation beyond reputeacquitted has a reputation beyond reputeacquitted has a reputation beyond reputeacquitted has a reputation beyond reputeacquitted has a reputation beyond reputeacquitted has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 116,456.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by nammyboy
What's up everyone,

jabs dont suppose to be knock out punches..they suppose to be ur set up punch to throw ur power punch...and as for straight punches...i suggest push-ups and pratice
Old 11-07-2004, 12:24 PM
hexman
Contender

Rep Power: 0 hexman is infamous around these partshexman is infamous around these partshexman is infamous around these partshexman is infamous around these partshexman is infamous around these partshexman is infamous around these partshexman is infamous around these partshexman is infamous around these partshexman is infamous around these partshexman is infamous around these partshexman is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 14,338.00

all i can tell you about jabs is to please step when you throw them
Old 11-07-2004, 06:35 PM
Dyl-G
Main Daime

Rep Power: 20 Dyl-G has a reputation beyond reputeDyl-G has a reputation beyond reputeDyl-G has a reputation beyond reputeDyl-G has a reputation beyond reputeDyl-G has a reputation beyond reputeDyl-G has a reputation beyond reputeDyl-G has a reputation beyond reputeDyl-G has a reputation beyond reputeDyl-G has a reputation beyond reputeDyl-G has a reputation beyond reputeDyl-G has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 30,000,096,349.15

i have that same problem but the other way around im fine with hooks to body and head and m jabs and straights are really good. but i feel like i have absolutely no power in my cuts to the body, does anyone know what i can do abou that? im twisting my hips hard and trying to roll my shoulders do you think its just going to take more practice than the jabs and straights did?
Old 11-07-2004, 06:48 PM
blockburna944
Contender

Rep Power: 13 blockburna944 has a reputation beyond reputeblockburna944 has a reputation beyond reputeblockburna944 has a reputation beyond reputeblockburna944 has a reputation beyond reputeblockburna944 has a reputation beyond reputeblockburna944 has a reputation beyond reputeblockburna944 has a reputation beyond reputeblockburna944 has a reputation beyond reputeblockburna944 has a reputation beyond reputeblockburna944 has a reputation beyond reputeblockburna944 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 458,578.91
Total Points: 466,024.91

i had the same problem with body shots for a long time. i think a lot of practice on bags and mits is the best way to find how to get power. It sounds corny, but what helped me was trying to imagine i was pulling my power out of the ground through my legs by getting low and kind of pushing off the ground when i threw. i also found that i needed to focus on keeping my elbow up more than i did when i threw a hook to get more power.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:17 AM
andreyd
Banned

Rep Power: 0 andreyd is infamous around these partsandreyd is infamous around these partsandreyd is infamous around these partsandreyd is infamous around these partsandreyd is infamous around these partsandreyd is infamous around these partsandreyd is infamous around these partsandreyd is infamous around these partsandreyd is infamous around these partsandreyd is infamous around these partsandreyd is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 11,612.00

up to 40 % of power comes from the legs movement
Old 01-23-2005, 07:48 AM
ShotgunSeanK
Contender

Rep Power: 0 ShotgunSeanK is infamous around these partsShotgunSeanK is infamous around these partsShotgunSeanK is infamous around these partsShotgunSeanK is infamous around these partsShotgunSeanK is infamous around these partsShotgunSeanK is infamous around these partsShotgunSeanK is infamous around these partsShotgunSeanK is infamous around these partsShotgunSeanK is infamous around these partsShotgunSeanK is infamous around these partsShotgunSeanK is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 16,055.00

try punch-out drills on the heavybag- intervals of non-stop straight punching. http://www.warriorforce.com/rossboxingvideoclip.wmv

Share This With Friends

User Tag List