Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 10-06-2008, 03:21 PM
nirojsri
Banned

Rep Power: 0 nirojsri has a reputation beyond reputenirojsri has a reputation beyond reputenirojsri has a reputation beyond reputenirojsri has a reputation beyond reputenirojsri has a reputation beyond reputenirojsri has a reputation beyond reputenirojsri has a reputation beyond reputenirojsri has a reputation beyond reputenirojsri has a reputation beyond reputenirojsri has a reputation beyond reputenirojsri has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 95,167.78
Default first amature fight any tips?

Hey I'm new to these forums.

I'm having my first amateur fight on oct 25.
I feel very unconfident though I train but I always feel like I'm
going to lose.
Because when I do sparring I'm always a bit behind. It's usually people
with more experience that I spar with and it makes me feel like I suck.
I started like 5 months ago and I never did sports before because my parents couldn't afford it when I got enough money from my part time job I went straight to the gym and made a membership. I'm 18 and weight is 160lbs and I''m 5"9 in height.
my trainer told me that I need to become more solid and stronger he told me I'm not very well built.

I train 3 hours a day monday-friday
all boxing but no weights.

What tips do you guys have for me to increase punch speed, power and cardio.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-06-2008, 04:29 PM
_LOAD_THE_LEFT_
Up and Comer

Total Points: 7,181.40

the best advice i can give you is do your cardio's (long distance run's and sprint's) along with your boxing routine. remember, ameture boxing is 80% cardio. the skill's will come along in time. the only reason to lose a fight is because the other guy was better than you, not because you gased out... do your cardio's and you got a good shot at the W...
Old 10-06-2008, 04:29 PM
peewee1460
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 peewee1460 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee1460 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee1460 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee1460 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee1460 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee1460 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee1460 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee1460 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee1460 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee1460 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee1460 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 24,646,113.03
Total Points: 24,661,542.92

i know how you feel, i get my ass kicked in sparring all the time. just stay focused and take out your frustration on your opponent because you are going to win.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:40 PM
nirojsri
Banned

Rep Power: 0 nirojsri has a reputation beyond reputenirojsri has a reputation beyond reputenirojsri has a reputation beyond reputenirojsri has a reputation beyond reputenirojsri has a reputation beyond reputenirojsri has a reputation beyond reputenirojsri has a reputation beyond reputenirojsri has a reputation beyond reputenirojsri has a reputation beyond reputenirojsri has a reputation beyond reputenirojsri has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 95,167.78

yeah my cardio is very bad I end up during the last round being very defensive and not throwing punches.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:45 PM
pulsar_87
Amateur

Total Points: 481.71

hey man, cardio's pretty important. get yourself down a sportshop and grab a skipping rope, they're pretty cheap - around 5 bucks. I prefer the cheaper ones cuz they spin faster, but each to their own. keep at the cardio and eat lean foods, you'll be punching out 15 rounds in no time !
Old 10-06-2008, 07:34 PM
!! Shawn
!! Shown

Rep Power: 44 !! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 325,544,399,691.46
Total Points: 388,948,181,755.13
Thanks for the advice. - mickey gomez to help keep you sharp in your debates - -PedoBear- Nonito Donaire's #1 fan. He loves talking about him all day. Shawn + Nonito = &lt;3 - subhuman Happy holidays bro! - led* Hypocrites&gt; Hippocrates :dunno: :lol1: - jose830 
Thanks for the karma.  Here's a gift . Always thought u were a good poster  and ur a fellow Rigotard . - Respect Power 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - NewYork 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirojsri View Post
Hey I'm new to these forums.

I'm having my first amateur fight on oct 25.
I feel very unconfident though I train but I always feel like I'm
going to lose.
Because when I do sparring I'm always a bit behind. It's usually people
with more experience that I spar with and it makes me feel like I suck.
I started like 5 months ago and I never did sports before because my parents couldn't afford it when I got enough money from my part time job I went straight to the gym and made a membership. I'm 18 and weight is 160lbs and I''m 5"9 in height.
my trainer told me that I need to become more solid and stronger he told me I'm not very well built.

I train 3 hours a day monday-friday
all boxing but no weights.

What tips do you guys have for me to increase punch speed, power and cardio.
Its all about the cardio. Its very very difficult to win a fight in the amateurs against someone in better condition than you, especially at the lower levels.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:45 PM
jcoleman7
Amateur

Total Points: 688.16

I know exactly how you feel man. I had my first fight over the summer in July and I always got my ass beat in sparring. I'm 5'6 145 and I always sparred with heavyweights and a super heavyweight.

I went the distance in my first fight but lost. I had only trained for about a month and a half and fought a guy with 3 fights under his belt and close to a year in training. Not to mention he was 6'2 and I'm 5'6.

Main thing is to just stay relaxed. Train hard and defiantly get that cardio up.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:31 AM
KostyaTszyu44
Banned

Rep Power: 0 KostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond reputeKostyaTszyu44 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 68,163.53
Total Points: 162,935.53
Broncos FTW! - danc1984 Cheers for the kind words. - brently1979 

at the novice level its pretty hard to beat someone fitter than you, start doing some sprints (4x400 yard fast sprints with 60 sec rest inbetween, or 10x100 yard) also some steady paced long distance runs (maybe 3-5 miles each run and keep improving your time)

do that stuff on the days you arent boxing, get that fitness up, get cracking
ASAP
Old 10-07-2008, 08:44 PM
punchDrUnK MONK
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 0 punchDrUnK MONK is infamous around these partspunchDrUnK MONK is infamous around these partspunchDrUnK MONK is infamous around these partspunchDrUnK MONK is infamous around these partspunchDrUnK MONK is infamous around these partspunchDrUnK MONK is infamous around these partspunchDrUnK MONK is infamous around these partspunchDrUnK MONK is infamous around these partspunchDrUnK MONK is infamous around these partspunchDrUnK MONK is infamous around these partspunchDrUnK MONK is infamous around these parts
Bank: 534.01
Total Points: 280,910.70
how come you so red, did you make fun of calslappy - JulioCesaChavez gift thread - MANGLER 
Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - ??? 

u sound like me man...

just run a lot, and do tons of rounds on the bags, that was ur legs and arms will be conditioned, along with your core.. squats help a lot too.. and ab work tons of ab work..

and if the win/lose factor is getting to your head too much throw it right out the window, i can say from experience if ur head is messed up b4 ur fight ur DONE.. so just go in there to have fun , ur first fight, many more to come. go out there n put on a show for the ppl who are coming to watch you. and have fun.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:49 AM
mr tricky
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 0 mr tricky is infamous around these partsmr tricky is infamous around these partsmr tricky is infamous around these partsmr tricky is infamous around these partsmr tricky is infamous around these partsmr tricky is infamous around these partsmr tricky is infamous around these partsmr tricky is infamous around these partsmr tricky is infamous around these partsmr tricky is infamous around these partsmr tricky is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 96,748.20
Default /

ive been boxing ages, and im yet t have my first fight,

went to my first mature boxing show last night set up by my club and loads of pepole having thier first fight,

everyone says that everything youve learnt goes out the window in your first fight, and its ture, honestly i never expected the fitness levels to be so high for a amature bout, one goy nearly punchsed him self out! it was all about fitnees, brawling, geting stuck in, and banginng the shots, if your oponent puts on the persure youve got to match him with presure outherwise youl be down on the points.

IMprove your fitness, belive me, sprint, sit at home and throw 100s of puches as hard and as fast as you can, just to prepare your self,

it shocked me a little, but now i know how fit i gotta be.