Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
Thread Navigation

Old 10-03-2008, 12:09 PM
dstew
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 9 dstew has a reputation beyond reputedstew has a reputation beyond reputedstew has a reputation beyond reputedstew has a reputation beyond reputedstew has a reputation beyond reputedstew has a reputation beyond reputedstew has a reputation beyond reputedstew has a reputation beyond reputedstew has a reputation beyond reputedstew has a reputation beyond reputedstew has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 25,869,809.17
Total Points: 25,913,377.45
Default DiBella looks beyond Lacy, targets bigger fights for Taylor (Calzaghe/Jones winner?)

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/239114/
Taylor, Lacy put everything on line
BY CHRIS GIVENS, ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE

Jermain Taylor and Jeff Lacy wanted to talk about how much they respect each other and how they have been longtime friends and former Olympic teammates.

Lou DiBella, Taylor’s promoter, was more blunt, and realistic, when speaking from Nashville, Tenn., just before the start of the official news conference to announce their Nov. 15 super middleweight fight.

DiBella had no problem saying what the fighters weren’t ready to admit — that the loser of this fight likely will struggle to keep his career relevant.

“No one gives a flying rat’s ass that they are buddies fighting. Put that aside,” DiBella said. “Put the buddy issue aside, period, because one of these guys is probably going to get knocked out, and the one who gets knocked out is probably going to have a really difficult time coming back to do anything significant.

“ This fight really is all or nothing. Hey, that’s what we should call it.” And that is how the Taylor-Lacy fight, now dubbed “All or Nothing,” got its name.

Taylor (27-2-1, 17 KOs ) and Lacy (24-1, 17 KOs ) met Thursday afternoon in Nashville in the McGugin Center on the campus of Vanderbilt University to announce their 12-round fight, which will be broadcast on HBO. Tickets — priced $ 275, $ 200, $ 100, $ 75, $ 50 and $ 25 — will be available Oct. 10 at all Ticketmaster locations. The fight will take place at Memorial Gymnasium, home of the Vanderbilt basketball team.

The fight has been certified as a WBC super middleweight eliminator fight, which means the winner will be guaranteed a title shot against the winner of the Carl Froch-Jean Pascal bout for the WBC belt.

But DiBella said he thinks even bigger and more lucrative fights await Little Rock’s Taylor if he wins.

“This is a fight that could re-establish Jermain right at the top and could get him a major matchup,” DiBella said. “If the winner of Joe Calzaghe-Roy Jones was available, I think you’d see that.

“ Jermain knows how big this is. He’s very aware. This is the kind of fight that will escalate him back to the top. He has to win the fight.” Despite DiBella’s desire to de-emphasize the “buddy angle,” the fighters talked about the mutual respect they have for each other.

They were Olympic teammates in 2000 and regular sparring partners, which has become a point of contention.

In June 2006, when Lacy came to Memphis to support his friend Winky Wright in a fight against Taylor, Lacy was asked who got the better of whom in Olympic training sessions. Lacy said he did.

“What ?” Taylor replied. “I whupped his butt.” The two continued to engage in their verbal jousting until Lacy insisted, even with Taylor continuing to claim he handily won the sparring sessions, that such talk cease until they got in the ring when it counted.

“The sparring was very controlled,” Lacy said of his early battles with Taylor. “The rules in Olympic training camp was very controlled. They didn’t want us to go in there and knock each other’s head off. Look, [on Nov. 15 ] we have to duke it out for 12 rounds and the best man may win. Then we’ll know.” The Nov. 15 fight will be Taylor’s first in the super middleweight (168 pounds ) division. He said the move up from 160 pounds has made training camp in Miami a more relaxed affair, but Taylor said he is still getting in his work. Taylor said he is under 180 pounds and feeling good.

“Training camp is going great,” Taylor said. “I’ve got my weight down, and the weather in Miami’s good. It’s been a great camp. I’m already within 10 pounds of my weight, so I feel real good. I have a lot more breathing room, a lot more comfort where I don’t have to worry about my weight as much. I can just relax a little more.” Taylor hasn’t been in the ring since Feb. 16, when he lost his rematch with Kelly Pavlik in what has been the longest layoff of his professional career.

“It took me a while to get back into it, but everything is all right now,” Taylor said. “I’ve been shadow boxing, sparring, it’s just like riding a bike. I’ve been doing this so long, no chance I was going to forget.” Those close to him said he hasn’t forgotten what it is like to be a champion. It’s a title he’s ready to claim again, but first Taylor must get past Lacy.

“I do think he’s hungry again,” DiBella said. “He wants this fight. This is a big fight for him. No matter what we call it, it really is all or nothing. It gives a great opportunity for the person that steps up and wins the fight.”
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-03-2008, 12:17 PM
dstew
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 9 dstew has a reputation beyond reputedstew has a reputation beyond reputedstew has a reputation beyond reputedstew has a reputation beyond reputedstew has a reputation beyond reputedstew has a reputation beyond reputedstew has a reputation beyond reputedstew has a reputation beyond reputedstew has a reputation beyond reputedstew has a reputation beyond reputedstew has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 25,869,809.17
Total Points: 25,913,377.45

1. DiBella's being a little too optimistic if he thinks Taylor will be fighting the winner of Calzaghe/Jones after Lacy. The loser? Maybe, if they don't go into retirement. Unless Taylor completely destroys Lacy, erasing most of the bad impressions he's left over his championship reign, I question the demand for a fight with the winner of the Joe/Roy fight. Even then, I would question it.

2. Clearly, as myself and others have somewhat anticipated, if there are bigger fights available for Taylor if he wins, he will probably not be facing the Froch/Pascal winner immediately for the WBC belt. This is a little disappointing, as I'd like to see him go after more titles instead of just money fights. That said, if the money fight is with Kessler for his title, I'm all for it.

3. Taylor had put on a little more weight than I'd thought if he's been in camp in Miami for a couple of weeks and is just now, about 6 weeks from the fight, down below 180. I understand he just came off the longest hiatus of his career, but he's known about the Nov. 15 date since late July. Just seems a little sloppy to me. I don't think he'll have any problem making weight, I'm just saying at this point he should be focusing more on training and less on getting back into shape.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:47 PM
abadger
Real Talk

Rep Power: 22 abadger has a reputation beyond reputeabadger has a reputation beyond reputeabadger has a reputation beyond reputeabadger has a reputation beyond reputeabadger has a reputation beyond reputeabadger has a reputation beyond reputeabadger has a reputation beyond reputeabadger has a reputation beyond reputeabadger has a reputation beyond reputeabadger has a reputation beyond reputeabadger has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 380,808.07
Total Points: 612,573.26
You're a good poster! - Tunney The brains of the outfit - Chunk Cheers, Calzaghe PWNED the yank, lacy-calzaghe all over again HAHA - ~Lucky13~ It's gonna be a long night tonight! - BatTheMan Top allround poster! Pizza owns! - KrisSilver 
For you and Joe - MizzzouMan 3K posts - T-97 cheers abadger we debate back and fourth and its good banter we dont have to always agree i respect your opinion though - Terrible... Thank you - boxing_prospect Great Poster - Dorian 
4k bro - Melly-Mel please vote richloc for mod in 2008 - Left Hook Tua freedom to the cornish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Left Hook Tua Thanks for the endless help champ.   I owe you one. - Spiegelo Help you stay up - T-97 
Welcome back abadger!!! - abosworth No Message - T-97 boxingscene's Top Ten Serious Posters - mickey gomez 

After Lacy, which he should win easily, Taylor needs to fight for a belt. I don't think he'll get the Calzaghe v Jones winner, especially not if its Calzaghe, who if he does not retire will surely face Pavlik, unless Pavlik himself loses to Hopkins.

There will be at least three alphabelt titlists at SMW that Taylor should beat in theory, and Kessler against whom he has to be given a chance. Taylor needs to start putting theory into practice.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:29 PM
DrewWoodside
Lifestyle..Regular!

Rep Power: 31 DrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,309,905,249.56
Total Points: 1,320,243,655.87
your gift shelf looks empty...lets add some liquor - Makavelli pinoys arent allowed to just drink and give one beer...here's one more - Makavelli 3 beers are better than 2 - Makavelli and 4 is better than 3 - Makavelli more beer - Makavelli 
Something to snack on while you watch it all go down. - danny711 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadger View Post
After Lacy, which he should win easily, Taylor needs to fight for a belt. I don't think he'll get the Calzaghe v Jones winner, especially not if its Calzaghe, who if he does not retire will surely face Pavlik, unless Pavlik himself loses to Hopkins.

There will be at least three alphabelt titlists at SMW that Taylor should beat in theory, and Kessler against whom he has to be given a chance. Taylor needs to start putting theory into practice.
Calzaghe won't want Taylor.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:32 PM
THE REED™
Most Definitely

Rep Power: 200000 THE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 485,059,036,914,520,448.00
Total Points: 485,060,060,861,164,288.00
2 For the Man - jazluvr my homey reed, keep up the good work! - Pretty Boy32 For being so BOSS! - komodo Straight up G! - komodo Thanks man :hail: - komodo 
Top man! - komodo BOSS - komodo Good talking boxing sir - Atreyu Khalil 50k Posts - Unknown Champ for the Super 50,000 post... - jose830 
Congrats on 50K solid KO's.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 50k Posts - BulgariasFinest 50,000 - TBear Super Mod! Congrats on 50k Reed :D - Bossy 50K - -Mustang- 
50k, congrats bro - MELLY-MEL... can't be touched. - Body Movin' Happy holidays bro! - led* Happy Birthday champ! - LoadedWraps Congrats on engagement! - Spacey1991 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BattlingNelson Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - dans01234 AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - !! AI-Holmes!! Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - S a m u r a i 
Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - S a m u r a i Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - S a m u r a i Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - mangler AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - -veteran420- Head and Neck Cancer - Dominicano Soy! 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Makavelli Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Makavelli Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - QUELOQUE 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Freedom Fighter Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dorian.. Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - iBreakbeat Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Dorian Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Atreyu Khalil 

kessler taylor just makes sense

or kessler froch

or taylor froch...

or the LOSER of jones/calzaghe

because whoever wins, wont wanna face jermain
Old 10-03-2008, 01:32 PM
abadger
Real Talk

Rep Power: 22 abadger has a reputation beyond reputeabadger has a reputation beyond reputeabadger has a reputation beyond reputeabadger has a reputation beyond reputeabadger has a reputation beyond reputeabadger has a reputation beyond reputeabadger has a reputation beyond reputeabadger has a reputation beyond reputeabadger has a reputation beyond reputeabadger has a reputation beyond reputeabadger has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 380,808.07
Total Points: 612,573.26
You're a good poster! - Tunney The brains of the outfit - Chunk Cheers, Calzaghe PWNED the yank, lacy-calzaghe all over again HAHA - ~Lucky13~ It's gonna be a long night tonight! - BatTheMan Top allround poster! Pizza owns! - KrisSilver 
For you and Joe - MizzzouMan 3K posts - T-97 cheers abadger we debate back and fourth and its good banter we dont have to always agree i respect your opinion though - Terrible... Thank you - boxing_prospect Great Poster - Dorian 
4k bro - Melly-Mel please vote richloc for mod in 2008 - Left Hook Tua freedom to the cornish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Left Hook Tua Thanks for the endless help champ.   I owe you one. - Spiegelo Help you stay up - T-97 
Welcome back abadger!!! - abosworth No Message - T-97 boxingscene's Top Ten Serious Posters - mickey gomez 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewWoodside View Post
Calzaghe won't want Taylor.
So he'll be ducking him then too? Maybe Calzaghe should just announce a special endurance event in which he boxes infinite rounds against every young American boxer close to his weight, one after the other until he loses.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:38 PM
MELLY-MEL...
Broken, Beat, Scarred

Rep Power: 37 MELLY-MEL... has a reputation beyond reputeMELLY-MEL... has a reputation beyond reputeMELLY-MEL... has a reputation beyond reputeMELLY-MEL... has a reputation beyond reputeMELLY-MEL... has a reputation beyond reputeMELLY-MEL... has a reputation beyond reputeMELLY-MEL... has a reputation beyond reputeMELLY-MEL... has a reputation beyond reputeMELLY-MEL... has a reputation beyond reputeMELLY-MEL... has a reputation beyond reputeMELLY-MEL... has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 24,814,896,158,468.05
Total Points: 24,815,896,768,304.22
Cheers mate I made it to 100 replies, thanks for posting... - D E M Dz A Back to another qulity poster :-) - deanrw Thanks for the rundown on the Bute, Andrade fight. - ABOSWORTH 7k partayyyyyy!!!!!! - R!ZO Here's a sex on the beach to celebrate 7K posts! - Chunk 
Congrats, brother!  7K. - Bendigo Let me buy you a coffee Mel! - danc1984 here you go you little trick - KingArthur Vanes Martirosyan KO1 P-Will and Margarito - KOTheFat 8K Posts - Welter_Skelter 
For when you get older and you can't keep up with all them hos anymore.LOL  Happy 8K buddy! - ABOSWORTH Congrats On The 8k Posts - MindBat 8k posts! - Equilibrium 8k posts bro! - danc1984 8,000 quality contributions, son. - The_Bringer 
8k strong! - riz ! oh ? Yo Mel have a drink on me homey - mangler thanks mel! - Makavelli Been here, for a while, and never really told you how good a poster you are. - ADDICT Have some of that and make the broad happy!!! - Jedi Vader 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Melly-Mel Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Left Hook Tua World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Left Hook Tua Gay and Lesbian Pride - ЯiZO AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - !! AI-Holmes!! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - mangler 

taylor should win, and needs to fight kessler, bute, or froch imo.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Pullcounter
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Pullcounter has a reputation beyond reputePullcounter has a reputation beyond reputePullcounter has a reputation beyond reputePullcounter has a reputation beyond reputePullcounter has a reputation beyond reputePullcounter has a reputation beyond reputePullcounter has a reputation beyond reputePullcounter has a reputation beyond reputePullcounter has a reputation beyond reputePullcounter has a reputation beyond reputePullcounter has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 57,096,339.38
Total Points: 1,105,363,295.02
'Bout time you had a gift. - S a m u r a i 1 of the few unbiased cats on here - mangler If my daddy thinks you're a good poster, then so do I :) - mangler jr Cheers, to postin wit common sense - mangler Calling it as it is - Tom Flores 
stay shittin on em - MANGLER have a blue parallelogram - Jack Napier 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Spacey1991 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - jazluvr449 AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - mangler Gay and Lesbian Pride - check hook Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Timmy Chans 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melly-Mel View Post
taylor should win, and needs to fight kessler, bute, or froch imo.
taylor will win, but lacy will continue fighting because of his name recognition.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:23 PM
DuttyAlacrity
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 12 DuttyAlacrity has a reputation beyond reputeDuttyAlacrity has a reputation beyond reputeDuttyAlacrity has a reputation beyond reputeDuttyAlacrity has a reputation beyond reputeDuttyAlacrity has a reputation beyond reputeDuttyAlacrity has a reputation beyond reputeDuttyAlacrity has a reputation beyond reputeDuttyAlacrity has a reputation beyond reputeDuttyAlacrity has a reputation beyond reputeDuttyAlacrity has a reputation beyond reputeDuttyAlacrity has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,492,567.36
Total Points: 1,508,799.97
No Message - DuttyAlacrity For posting facts. - ABOSWORTH You deserve two gifts from me. - ABOSWORTH Big Dutty Stinking Alacrity! U dun know Nuff respect to the I dem everytime - The Gully Gad 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Ether 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadger View Post

Doesn't happen much, but I do agree with you here
good point
Old 10-03-2008, 03:24 PM
ragingvic
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 9 ragingvic has a reputation beyond reputeragingvic has a reputation beyond reputeragingvic has a reputation beyond reputeragingvic has a reputation beyond reputeragingvic has a reputation beyond reputeragingvic has a reputation beyond reputeragingvic has a reputation beyond reputeragingvic has a reputation beyond reputeragingvic has a reputation beyond reputeragingvic has a reputation beyond reputeragingvic has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 82,319.26
Well done to your boy Vic. - T-97 kyafe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - KingArthur 

I think Taylor should fight froch first. The winner should fight Kessler for top dawg standing. For the first time in a long time im actually excited about the SMW division. I think Pavlik and AA should be making their entrances into the divison in the next year and half.