Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 08-11-2008, 04:20 AM
slicksouthpaw16
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 21 slicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 8,990,235,971.74
Total Points: 10,992,252,360.19
I enjoy reading your posts, and thanks for making me feel welcome. :) - Sweet Peacock 
Default How do you think Marciano would fair in todays heavyweight division?

Do you see anyone beating him and if so, what fighters would you pick over him??
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 08-11-2008, 04:24 AM
duffgun
Banned

Rep Power: 0 duffgun has a reputation beyond reputeduffgun has a reputation beyond reputeduffgun has a reputation beyond reputeduffgun has a reputation beyond reputeduffgun has a reputation beyond reputeduffgun has a reputation beyond reputeduffgun has a reputation beyond reputeduffgun has a reputation beyond reputeduffgun has a reputation beyond reputeduffgun has a reputation beyond reputeduffgun has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,706.89
Total Points: 232,657.25
please vote richloc for mod in 2008 - Left Hook Tua 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
Do you see anyone beating him and if so, what fighters would you pick over him??
not sure if he cut weight like he used to he would be a cruiserweight, but i could see him making around 200-205 easy and still in great shape, I would pick him to beat the likes of chageav, peter, sultan, povetkin, chambers etc, I think he would have trouble against Wlad and Valuev due to the height and reach adv but the rest he would beat, Just because Wlad and Valuev have such a height adv doesnt mean they would beat rocky though i would still give him a chance against them.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:26 AM
slicksouthpaw16
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 21 slicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond repute
I enjoy reading your posts, and thanks for making me feel welcome. :) - Sweet Peacock 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffgun View Post
not sure if he cut weight like he used to he would be a cruiserweight, but i could see him making around 200-205 easy and still in great shape, I would pick him to beat the likes of chageav, peter, sultan, povetkin, chambers etc, I think he would have trouble against Wlad and Valuev the rest he would beat.
I think he would get on the inside of Valuev and stay there. Valuev would actually have a hard time hitting Marciano becuase he is so tall( and slow) and Marciano is so short and has good inside game. It would be a weird fight to watch but i see Marciano beating him.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:30 AM
duffgun
Banned

Rep Power: 0 duffgun has a reputation beyond reputeduffgun has a reputation beyond reputeduffgun has a reputation beyond reputeduffgun has a reputation beyond reputeduffgun has a reputation beyond reputeduffgun has a reputation beyond reputeduffgun has a reputation beyond reputeduffgun has a reputation beyond reputeduffgun has a reputation beyond reputeduffgun has a reputation beyond reputeduffgun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think he would get on the inside of Valuev and stay there. Valuev would actually have a hard time hitting Marciano becuase he is so tall( and slow) and Marciano is so short and has good inside game. It would be a weird fight to watch but i see Marciano beating him.
Yeah i think Marciano would have a chance against Valuev it would be odd to watch.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:33 AM
slicksouthpaw16
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffgun View Post
Yeah i think Marciano would have a chance against Valuev it would be odd to watch.
I can actually see Chagaev giving Marciano more problems than Valuev with his boxing ability and southpaw style. Him having a bit of punching power could also be a problem for Rocky. It would be a hard fight.

Last edited by slicksouthpaw16; 08-11-2008 at 05:32 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:24 AM
TheGreatA
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 42 TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 205,944,766,715.62
Total Points: 206,945,015,073.48
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

I firmly believe that today's fighters like Ibragimov, Povetkin and Chambers are not much bigger than Marciano was, they just may not train as hard.

Ibragimov used to fight at 190-200 lbs as an amateur (and not just because he was young, he was an amateur until 27 years of age when he became a pro), Chambers could make cruiserweight quite easily, Povetkin and Chagaev are both rather 'soft', although otherwise in good condition.

Now Marciano's problems would come against a talented boxer with size like Wladimir, it's impossible to know how Marciano would've done against someone with great size and skill, the big men he fought were simply talentless.
But it is true that Wladimir can fold under pressure, the one thing that Marciano does have on his side in this match-up, perhaps Wladimir's fight against the smaller pressure fighter Povetkin will prove something.

I also think that a crafty boxer with legs to go 12 rounds under pressure could confuse Marciano and win a decision. Marciano was a 15 round fighter and would've lost several decisions if his fights had been 12 rounders like in today's era.

Rocky was probably the most relentless heavyweight ever, he just never stopped punching. It may not have been pretty but it certainly was effective.

Last edited by TheManchine; 08-11-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:14 AM
duffgun
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManchine View Post
I firmly believe that today's fighters like Ibragimov, Povetkin and Chambers are not much bigger than Marciano was, they just may not train as hard.

Ibragimov used to fight at 190-200 lbs as an amateur (and not just because he was young, he was an amateur until 27 years of age when he became a pro), Chambers could make cruiserweight quite easily, Povetkin and Chagaev are both rather 'soft', although otherwise in good condition.
I agree heavyweights like Marciano used to cut down to be in better shape something few of the modern heavy’s do
Old 08-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Clegg

Rep Power: 154 Clegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,248,454,186,433,325.50
Total Points: 3,313,895,469,686,472.50
Before I get banned. - Richard Nixon FREE RiZO! - Carlton Banks MMM-My Sharona! - RiZО Have an apple Clegg - danc1984 Yank food is good - mangler jr 
Chunk cake - It's part of your 5 a day! - Chunk Coffee Is Professional - Loccy To make up for that soggy one. - Raider Monkz mhh Alizee is moi lolita &amp;lt;3 - cleaner147 Professional Cookie - Loccy 
super clegg - Old Coward No Message - -veteran420- with love - -veteran420- Merry Christmas - Flab Happy new year! - Toney Loc 
yum yum pot noodle - Mike_Hunt super e-baller - MANIAC310 Well deserved, never saw you at history section - HaglerSteelChin It sounds like you need one, LOL - HaglerSteelChin Have some more - HaglerSteelChin 
Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - mangler Gay and Lesbian Pride - The Scientist Gay and Lesbian Pride - RiΖΟ Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - PensionKiller Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Loccy 
Childhood Cancer - MANGLER Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MANGLER Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Head and Neck Cancer - LeeVanCleef 

In today's era of larger gloves, shorter fights, and stricter referees, I feel that Marciano would be less effective. He'd probably beat anyone of comparative size, but in my opinion if he fought under modern conditions against one of the better, larger heavyweights of the past 10-15 years I think his best chance would be to score a late KO whilst behind on the scorecards.

Out of the those fighters who are currently active I think he beats Sam Peter (who I do not rate highly), David Haye and almost all of the rest as well. I haven't seen enough of Chagaev to be certain. I'm not sure how much Wlad has improved but I suspect that he would again lose his composure if hurt by someone like Marciano. Rocky would probably have to take a lot of punches to get inside though and I'm not sure who I'd pick.

He had outstanding heart, determination, work rate and stamina, and these would give him a chance against anyone, but I am not one of those who feels that Marciano had a deceptively good defence. I think he was very open and would be picked apart by a larger, more skillful fighter of the modern era. Sadly there aren't really (m)any fighters like that at HW.

Last edited by Clegg; 08-11-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:09 PM
JAB5239
Banned

Rep Power: 0 JAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 19,946,911,790,948.20
Total Points: 19,946,911,886,072.65
For giving me a chance to learn from the best. - DWiens421 For posting endless wisdom - Massage Queen keep dropping knowledge jabs - Makavelli To my friend Jab. One of the SUPERstars of Boxingscene. - BattlingNelson A toast homey. Here's to one of the site's best posters. - mangler 
Keeping History Alive - 0Rooster4Life0 Although we may disagree, I completely understand you. - Dominicano Soy! A lucky charm 4 ya homey - mangler To my boy JAB for keeping it real at all times - Kevin Jesus To a cool guy - Stoppage 
for being a heavyweight in history section - led For a friend and a guy who really knows his stuff. - Lorily Great Poster and Moderator. - Barnburner For your boxing knowledge and insightful threads. - Barnburner For being a noble gent and for top posts! - Sugarj 
To one of the nicest members on this forum. Knows boxing also! - Terry A For all the Boxing knowledge shared - BulgariasFinest For a great guy - jazluvr Thanks for your continued friendship &amp; for sharing your wealth of boxing knowledge w/ us! - Terry A Cheers mate. Loving the section. - BennyST 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManchine View Post

Now Marciano's problems would come against a talented boxer with size like Wladimir, it's impossible to know how Marciano would've done against someone with great size and skill, the big men he fought were simply talentless.
But it is true that Wladimir can fold under pressure, the one thing that Marciano does have on his side in this match-up, perhaps Wladimir's fight against the smaller pressure fighter Povetkin will prove something.

I also think that a crafty boxer with legs to go 12 rounds under pressure could confuse Marciano and win a decision. Marciano was a 15 round fighter and would've lost several decisions if his fights had been 12 rounders like in today's era.

Rocky was probably the most relentless heavyweight ever, he just never stopped punching. It may not have been pretty but it certainly was effective.
I gotta tell ya, I love reading your posts and opinions!
Old 08-11-2008, 05:18 PM
joseph5620
undisputed

Rep Power: 20 joseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,002,830,060,137.68
Total Points: 15,045,835,184,694.01
a knowledgeable poster - Carnivore Great Poster! - Barnburner I would say you have the IQ of a rodent. But that would be an insult to the rodent.. - Unknown Champ quality posts - Stokely cheers mate - The Noose 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JAB5239 

Quote:
Not well. This is a totally different era where a 5'10 188 pound fighter with a 68 inch reach would not make it in the heavyweight division. But...in terms of talent, toughness, heart, stamina, conditioning, and determination, he's better than any of the current heavyweights and none of them will every rank as high as Marcinao all time. Or even close.