Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
Reply
Thread Navigation

#11
Old 08-07-2008, 12:59 PM
mellow_mood
MEXICANO 110%
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 14,667
Rep Power: 39 mellow_mood has a reputation beyond reputemellow_mood has a reputation beyond reputemellow_mood has a reputation beyond reputemellow_mood has a reputation beyond reputemellow_mood has a reputation beyond reputemellow_mood has a reputation beyond reputemellow_mood has a reputation beyond reputemellow_mood has a reputation beyond reputemellow_mood has a reputation beyond reputemellow_mood has a reputation beyond reputemellow_mood has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 496,702,866.80
Bank: 18,129,355,142.42
Total Points: 18,626,058,009.22
From ur boy Gully..A Gift 2 start you off bruv.. - The Gully Gad To a Good Poster - Joshua Clottey Floyd Mayweather >>>Pacman - El Dominicano Happy B-Day Mellow - golpealhigado yes! - mellow_mood 
You certainly have a great attitude despite what has gone on in your life.  I applaud you sir. - El Gallo Negro! . - mellow_mood right back at ya big dawg - Makavelli A gift - _PlaT_NuM_ mmmm...doughnuts - Kbmunro 
Para uno de los mejores. - Izrock my favorite borikua on boxingscene - Makavelli boxingscene's Super Borikua..WAR MELLOW!!!! - Makavelli San Miguel from the PI. Cheers! - JM1 Great poster :D - Mucus 
Dear Admins: had me :lol1: - jose830 
Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - mellow_mood Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Breakbeat Childhood Cancer - Joe Kapp Gay and Lesbian Pride - yoz 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guled View Post
Has Margarito become the new Mayweather????
whos that on your sig?
Reply With Quote
mellow_mood is offline
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
#12
Old 08-07-2008, 01:04 PM
C'MONMANG'
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: DC
Posts: 7,135
Rep Power: 0 C'MONMANG' has a reputation beyond reputeC'MONMANG' has a reputation beyond reputeC'MONMANG' has a reputation beyond reputeC'MONMANG' has a reputation beyond reputeC'MONMANG' has a reputation beyond reputeC'MONMANG' has a reputation beyond reputeC'MONMANG' has a reputation beyond reputeC'MONMANG' has a reputation beyond reputeC'MONMANG' has a reputation beyond reputeC'MONMANG' has a reputation beyond reputeC'MONMANG' has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 196,911.36
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 196,911.36
please vote richloc for mod in 2008 - Left Hook Tua most feared poster on boxing scene - ElGranLuchador 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaYaN_SuN View Post
lol Anyone who thinks Antonio Margarito is going to pull a Floyd Mayweather and avoid Paul Williams is a ****in moron, or a trigger happy Mayweather fan.

All the Mayweather nutt-huggers could only wish they're fighter had the nerve to take on anyone and everyone.

I mean you notice how Tony has only been champ for a couple weeks if not less, and they're ALREADY tryin to criticize him...lol ****in corny ass boxing fans. You kids are lameee. lol Our fighter took on the best in America all the way to Puerto Rico and still pulled out positive. You're favorite fighters run in fights, pitty patt grown men, and don't fight ANYONEEEE.

lol And it's just 2 weeks since Tony got the crown, and they're tryin to discredit Margarito and call him out.


****in rats, the lot of em lol.

greatest post ever
Reply With Quote
C'MONMANG' is offline
#13
Old 08-07-2008, 01:05 PM
MELLY-MEL...
Broken, Beat, Scarred
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 10,462
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 37 MELLY-MEL... has a reputation beyond reputeMELLY-MEL... has a reputation beyond reputeMELLY-MEL... has a reputation beyond reputeMELLY-MEL... has a reputation beyond reputeMELLY-MEL... has a reputation beyond reputeMELLY-MEL... has a reputation beyond reputeMELLY-MEL... has a reputation beyond reputeMELLY-MEL... has a reputation beyond reputeMELLY-MEL... has a reputation beyond reputeMELLY-MEL... has a reputation beyond reputeMELLY-MEL... has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 1,000,642,050.65
Bank: 107,429,900,266,543.59
Total Points: 107,430,900,908,594.27
Cheers mate I made it to 100 replies, thanks for posting... - D E M Dz A Back to another qulity poster :-) - deanrw Thanks for the rundown on the Bute, Andrade fight. - ABOSWORTH 7k partayyyyyy!!!!!! - R!ZO Here's a sex on the beach to celebrate 7K posts! - Chunk 
Congrats, brother!  7K. - Bendigo Let me buy you a coffee Mel! - danc1984 here you go you little trick - KingArthur Vanes Martirosyan KO1 P-Will and Margarito - KOTheFat 8K Posts - Welter_Skelter 
For when you get older and you can't keep up with all them hos anymore.LOL  Happy 8K buddy! - ABOSWORTH Congrats On The 8k Posts - MindBat 8k posts! - Equilibrium 8k posts bro! - danc1984 8,000 quality contributions, son. - The_Bringer 
8k strong! - riz ! oh ? Yo Mel have a drink on me homey - mangler thanks mel! - Makavelli Been here, for a while, and never really told you how good a poster you are. - ADDICT Have some of that and make the broad happy!!! - Jedi Vader 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Melly-Mel Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Left Hook Tua World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Left Hook Tua Gay and Lesbian Pride - ЯiZO AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - !! AI-Holmes!! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaYaN_SuN View Post
lol Anyone who thinks Antonio Margarito is going to pull a Floyd Mayweather and avoid Paul Williams is a ****in moron, or a trigger happy Mayweather fan.

All the Mayweather nutt-huggers could only wish they're fighter had the nerve to take on anyone and everyone.

I mean you notice how Tony has only been champ for a couple weeks if not less, and they're ALREADY tryin to criticize him...lol ****in corny ass boxing fans. You kids are lameee. lol Our fighter took on the best in America all the way to Puerto Rico and still pulled out positive. You're favorite fighters run in fights, pitty patt grown men, and don't fight ANYONEEEE.

lol And it's just 2 weeks since Tony got the crown, and they're tryin to discredit Margarito and call him out.


****in rats, the lot of em lol.
good post bro. agreed.
Reply With Quote
MELLY-MEL... is offline
#14
Old 08-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Sumthang bit me
Right in the buttocks
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: carrying bubba to safety
Posts: 18,904
Rep Power: 56 Sumthang bit me has a reputation beyond reputeSumthang bit me has a reputation beyond reputeSumthang bit me has a reputation beyond reputeSumthang bit me has a reputation beyond reputeSumthang bit me has a reputation beyond reputeSumthang bit me has a reputation beyond reputeSumthang bit me has a reputation beyond reputeSumthang bit me has a reputation beyond reputeSumthang bit me has a reputation beyond reputeSumthang bit me has a reputation beyond reputeSumthang bit me has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 12,050,684,626.56
Bank: 2,526,464,130,040.34
Total Points: 2,538,514,814,666.90
your a good poster. - RJJ The Truth Thanks for your time amigo - anonymousboxing Top Notch Poster - Perro salud homie - Makavelli I know, I would of shit all over Cotto if it was him. - Ch@mpBox@PR 
No KO but still a nice win for your man Pwill! - BattlingNelson For speakin the truth homey - mangler the ownage on your thread deserves a drink - Makavelli Top poster. Cheers big dawg - mangler Here's to real talk - MANGLER 
Viva los Fish Tacos - Libido Sanchez flomo killa deserves a beer - -pound4pound- pinoys and mexicans dont just drink 1 beer, have another - -pound4pound- smart mofo, a gift homie, that is all - Tha_Greatest You hold the record for quickest ban, congrats!!! - WarFace 
great poster, keep owning the racists that lurk this forum - Band-Aid have a blue parallelogram - Jack Napier still dropping pwns daily - -MAKAVELLI- keep exposing the catchweight king FM - hectari stay gold - sugarsmosley 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - JM1 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El 7 Mares View Post
Let me tell you why.

Joshua Clottey just fought a main event against the former WW Champion, Zab Judah on HBO and won. He is on a winning streak and hasn't lost a fight since Tony Margarito in '06.

Paul Williams' last two fights were on Showtime. Neither of which was the main event. He lost the first one, with a horrible showing, and didn't show much in the rematch, which could be considered a fluke, with Quintana not being properly warmed up.

If Williams wants to raise his value, he needs to seek a 3rd fight with Quintana or a slugfest against Kermit Cintron. This fight needs to happen on HBO, preferibly on a doubleheader with Tony vs Clottey. Then maybe if he wins, a fight with Tony would be more sellable to the general public.
Arum's personal vendetta nixes potential Margarito-Williams rematch
Aug. 6, 2008
By Robert Morales
Special to CBSSports.com




From a practical standpoint, even Paul Williams admitted that no one can blame fellow welterweight world champion Antonio Margarito for wanting to fight Oscar De La Hoya. Anyone who steps into the ring with De La Hoya makes his biggest payday.


"Business-wise, I understand that," Williams said.

But Williams said that doesn't mean Margarito-De La Hoya would be a better fight than one between him and Margarito.

"It's not a good fight," he said, referring to a possible, yet improbable, Margarito-De La Hoya fight. "Everybody knows Oscar puts on a good fight, but he fades late. But with me, we going to fight the whole 12 rounds."

In short, Williams said Tuesday, he would like to see the two best welterweights in the world square off to see who indeed is the top dog in the division. To him and many experts, that would be him and Margarito, who is coming off an 11th-round technical knockout of Miguel Cotto on July 26.

"We the two biggest names out there at 147 since Floyd Mayweather left, so why can't we fight to see who the best is?" Williams said.

Alas, there is one big obstacle getting in the way of a $4 million offer made by Team Williams to Team Margarito for a rematch of their July 2007 fight won by Williams via decision. And it's not De La Hoya, who appears headed toward a farewell fight with Manny Pacquiao.

Representatives of those respective fighters -- meaning Richard Schaefer of De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions and Bob Arum (who promotes Pacquiao) of Top Rank Inc. -- are scheduled to meet this week to try and make De La Hoya-Pacquiao a done deal for Dec. 6. The chances of that fight being made are good, meaning Margarito is free to try and avenge his loss to Williams.

But Arum -- who also promotes Margarito -- and Team Williams recently went through unsuccessful negotiations for a Kelly Pavlik-Williams fight that left Arum with a sour taste in his mouth. And late Tuesday night, Arum said that taste still exists and he will not do business with the Williams camp again.

First things first. Arum, who promotes Pavlik as well, told this reporter after a hoped-for Pavlik-Williams accord blew up that in his mind Williams and his team never had any intention of fighting Pavlik.

"I think my chain was being jerked the whole time," Arum said last month. "And I'll remember that if they ever want to fight Cotto or Margarito, whoever wins that fight ... because no one is going to jerk my chain like they did. When you agree to everything that they ask for and then they don't want the fight, you have to believe that your chain was jerked."

Arum and Williams' promoter, Dan Goossen, each had his different side of the story as to why Pavlik-Williams fell apart. Arum said he offered the Williams camp all it wanted, but Goossen at the time said that was not the case, that Team Williams wanted $2.5 million and was initially offered $1.5 million. Goossen said during a press luncheon Tuesday at a Los Angeles-area restaurant that the sides ended up about $250,000 apart.

Williams is managed by George Peterson and advised by Al Haymon. Peterson was on deck at Sisley Italian Kitchen on Tuesday, and he said there was an additional reason Pavlik-Williams did not get made.



"They realized Paul was a threat to (Pavlik) and they were looking for a way out," Peterson said, putting the blame on Team Pavlik.
Advertisement


Well, guess what? Unless Arum has a big change of heart, Margarito-Williams II is not going to happen. Hours after Tuesday's gathering at the aforementioned restaurant, Arum returned a phone call. He said he sent a letter to Goossen later Tuesday afternoon letting him know that he has no intention of making this fight because of what transpired during the Pavlik-Williams parlay.

"Absolutely not," Arum said. "I wrote a letter today telling him I will not be involved with the Williams camp after the way they jerked me around and screwed around for two weeks. I will never forget that. A Margarito-Williams fight will never happen."

Arum, however, was quick to add he does not hold Goossen accountable for what went on during the Pavlik-Williams talks.

"I don't blame Goossen," Arum said. "He is the puppet, he is not the puppeteer. Goossen got played, too."

Arum was asked if he was saying that Haymon was the "puppeteer."

"That's what I'm implying," Arum said.

Well, that blows all to heck what Goossen said earlier Tuesday during a festive event. Goossen said that promoters should not let personal vendettas prevent them from making fights the public wants to see. And he's right when he says the public would want to see a rematch between Margarito and Williams, especially if it can't get Margarito-De La Hoya.

Of course, Goossen knew Arum had hard feelings stemming from the Pavlik-Williams fiasco. What he didn't know at the time was that Arum was drafting the letter that would, at least for now, crush Margarito-Williams II.

"I'm sure there is," said Goossen, when asked if there was an issue with Arum's indignation. "But that issue, there is no issue. What, is George Steinbrenner not going to play the L.A. Dodgers because the Dodgers' GM signed somebody George Steinbrenner wanted?"

In other words, Goossen said, this is not about Arum being peeved at Williams' people, it's about giving the public the best fight available in the welterweight division.

It would be three-time champion Margarito against two-time champion Williams. Both have come back to redeem themselves -- Margarito from Williams and Williams from Carlos Quintana -- and they are inarguably the two best in the division. Mix in Williams' victory over Margarito 13 months ago, and the ingredients are there for a terrific event.

It shouldn't matter, Goossen said, "that he doesn't like me or Al. I just offered him four million reasons why he should love us."

Well, Arum has enough money, so he can tell Team Williams where to put that $4 million. Apparently, that's what he's doing.
Reply With Quote
Sumthang bit me is offline
#15
Old 08-07-2008, 01:30 PM
benray4fun
Contender
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 175
Rep Power: 0 benray4fun is infamous around these partsbenray4fun is infamous around these partsbenray4fun is infamous around these partsbenray4fun is infamous around these partsbenray4fun is infamous around these partsbenray4fun is infamous around these partsbenray4fun is infamous around these partsbenray4fun is infamous around these partsbenray4fun is infamous around these partsbenray4fun is infamous around these partsbenray4fun is infamous around these parts
Points: 27,528.14
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 27,528.14
Default

Margo won't be ducking anyone, it's just not in his nature. Will he take a few money fights before facing Williams...of course, why shouldn't he?... he deserves it, it's his turn to shine. He'll take the long route and smack a few clowns up before rematching Williams and then doing the same, so I hope you're not waiting around for a disappointment too long.

Williams is a good fighter and person, he's good for the sport, he just has to wait his turn now like everyone else.

Last edited by benray4fun; 08-07-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
benray4fun is offline
#16
Old 08-07-2008, 01:34 PM
nozorok
Interim Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 958
Rep Power: 10 nozorok has a reputation beyond reputenozorok has a reputation beyond reputenozorok has a reputation beyond reputenozorok has a reputation beyond reputenozorok has a reputation beyond reputenozorok has a reputation beyond reputenozorok has a reputation beyond reputenozorok has a reputation beyond reputenozorok has a reputation beyond reputenozorok has a reputation beyond reputenozorok has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 54,759.07
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 54,759.07
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelon Psyclone View Post
Arum's personal vendetta nixes potential Margarito-Williams rematch
Aug. 6, 2008
By Robert Morales
Special to CBSSports.com




From a practical standpoint, even Paul Williams admitted that no one can blame fellow welterweight world champion Antonio Margarito for wanting to fight Oscar De La Hoya. Anyone who steps into the ring with De La Hoya makes his biggest payday.


"Business-wise, I understand that," Williams said.

But Williams said that doesn't mean Margarito-De La Hoya would be a better fight than one between him and Margarito.

"It's not a good fight," he said, referring to a possible, yet improbable, Margarito-De La Hoya fight. "Everybody knows Oscar puts on a good fight, but he fades late. But with me, we going to fight the whole 12 rounds."

In short, Williams said Tuesday, he would like to see the two best welterweights in the world square off to see who indeed is the top dog in the division. To him and many experts, that would be him and Margarito, who is coming off an 11th-round technical knockout of Miguel Cotto on July 26.

"We the two biggest names out there at 147 since Floyd Mayweather left, so why can't we fight to see who the best is?" Williams said.

Alas, there is one big obstacle getting in the way of a $4 million offer made by Team Williams to Team Margarito for a rematch of their July 2007 fight won by Williams via decision. And it's not De La Hoya, who appears headed toward a farewell fight with Manny Pacquiao.

Representatives of those respective fighters -- meaning Richard Schaefer of De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions and Bob Arum (who promotes Pacquiao) of Top Rank Inc. -- are scheduled to meet this week to try and make De La Hoya-Pacquiao a done deal for Dec. 6. The chances of that fight being made are good, meaning Margarito is free to try and avenge his loss to Williams.

But Arum -- who also promotes Margarito -- and Team Williams recently went through unsuccessful negotiations for a Kelly Pavlik-Williams fight that left Arum with a sour taste in his mouth. And late Tuesday night, Arum said that taste still exists and he will not do business with the Williams camp again.

First things first. Arum, who promotes Pavlik as well, told this reporter after a hoped-for Pavlik-Williams accord blew up that in his mind Williams and his team never had any intention of fighting Pavlik.

"I think my chain was being jerked the whole time," Arum said last month. "And I'll remember that if they ever want to fight Cotto or Margarito, whoever wins that fight ... because no one is going to jerk my chain like they did. When you agree to everything that they ask for and then they don't want the fight, you have to believe that your chain was jerked."


Arum and Williams' promoter, Dan Goossen, each had his different side of the story as to why Pavlik-Williams fell apart. Arum said he offered the Williams camp all it wanted, but Goossen at the time said that was not the case, that Team Williams wanted $2.5 million and was initially offered $1.5 million. Goossen said during a press luncheon Tuesday at a Los Angeles-area restaurant that the sides ended up about $250,000 apart.

Williams is managed by George Peterson and advised by Al Haymon. Peterson was on deck at Sisley Italian Kitchen on Tuesday, and he said there was an additional reason Pavlik-Williams did not get made.



"They realized Paul was a threat to (Pavlik) and they were looking for a way out," Peterson said, putting the blame on Team Pavlik.
Advertisement


Well, guess what? Unless Arum has a big change of heart, Margarito-Williams II is not going to happen. Hours after Tuesday's gathering at the aforementioned restaurant, Arum returned a phone call. He said he sent a letter to Goossen later Tuesday afternoon letting him know that he has no intention of making this fight because of what transpired during the Pavlik-Williams parlay.

"Absolutely not," Arum said. "I wrote a letter today telling him I will not be involved with the Williams camp after the way they jerked me around and screwed around for two weeks. I will never forget that. A Margarito-Williams fight will never happen."

Arum, however, was quick to add he does not hold Goossen accountable for what went on during the Pavlik-Williams talks.

"I don't blame Goossen," Arum said. "He is the puppet, he is not the puppeteer. Goossen got played, too."

Arum was asked if he was saying that Haymon was the "puppeteer."

"That's what I'm implying," Arum said.

Well, that blows all to heck what Goossen said earlier Tuesday during a festive event. Goossen said that promoters should not let personal vendettas prevent them from making fights the public wants to see. And he's right when he says the public would want to see a rematch between Margarito and Williams, especially if it can't get Margarito-De La Hoya.

Of course, Goossen knew Arum had hard feelings stemming from the Pavlik-Williams fiasco. What he didn't know at the time was that Arum was drafting the letter that would, at least for now, crush Margarito-Williams II.

"I'm sure there is," said Goossen, when asked if there was an issue with Arum's indignation. "But that issue, there is no issue. What, is George Steinbrenner not going to play the L.A. Dodgers because the Dodgers' GM signed somebody George Steinbrenner wanted?"

In other words, Goossen said, this is not about Arum being peeved at Williams' people, it's about giving the public the best fight available in the welterweight division.

It would be three-time champion Margarito against two-time champion Williams. Both have come back to redeem themselves -- Margarito from Williams and Williams from Carlos Quintana -- and they are inarguably the two best in the division. Mix in Williams' victory over Margarito 13 months ago, and the ingredients are there for a terrific event.

It shouldn't matter, Goossen said, "that he doesn't like me or Al. I just offered him four million reasons why he should love us."

Well, Arum has enough money, so he can tell Team Williams where to put that $4 million. Apparently, that's what he's doing.
Team Williams wanted $2.5 million and was initially offered $1.5 million.

$1.5 million would have been Williams HIGHEST payday yet.

"They realized Paul was a threat to (Pavlik) and they were looking for a way out," Peterson said, putting the blame on Team Pavlik.


Pavlik is looking for a way out? Pavlik would give William's brain damage.

Winky Wright is now calling William's BLUFF.

Now I hear team williams wants to face their mandatory Michael Jennings or some ****.
Reply With Quote
nozorok is offline
#17
Old 08-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Pico Hollywood
ars longa vita brevis
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: La Republica Dominicana
Posts: 10,809
Rep Power: 43 Pico Hollywood has a reputation beyond reputePico Hollywood has a reputation beyond reputePico Hollywood has a reputation beyond reputePico Hollywood has a reputation beyond reputePico Hollywood has a reputation beyond reputePico Hollywood has a reputation beyond reputePico Hollywood has a reputation beyond reputePico Hollywood has a reputation beyond reputePico Hollywood has a reputation beyond reputePico Hollywood has a reputation beyond reputePico Hollywood has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 278,339.55
Bank: 8,809,125.02
Total Points: 9,087,464.57
dollar dollar bill yall - JournalSquare 5000 Posts!! Congrats.. - The0neand0nly have a slice - Domain Happy 6K, P-Man. - K-Nan gift!!!! - Miyagi 
7k Pico!!!!!!!!!!!!  Cheers. - Melly-Mel drink is on me for showing love for getting me unbanned people - texanballer tags blow - Cptn. Howdy Congrats on the 8k, brotha from antha motha - Mr. Blonde Congrats, brother! - Bendigo 
8K Posts - hungryherbert 8k post celebration - !! AI-Holmes!! To homosexuality!!! - Mizzou 8k machete strikes. - Hard Dick only fruits and vegetables for joan guzman from now on. - Mr._Pink 
Merry Christmas - msagrain :) - Skylight Thanks again homie!..Chi-City ALL DAY! - Dub_C for buying me a gift when i couldnt afford it...you gave me a clover...peace homie - Makavelli Hood ass nigga - texanballer 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Left Hook Tua Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - ??? Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Pico Hollywood Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Pico Hollywood AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Childhood Cancer - mangler 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelon Psyclone View Post
Arum's personal vendetta nixes potential Margarito-Williams rematch
Aug. 6, 2008
By Robert Morales
Special to CBSSports.com




From a practical standpoint, even Paul Williams admitted that no one can blame fellow welterweight world champion Antonio Margarito for wanting to fight Oscar De La Hoya. Anyone who steps into the ring with De La Hoya makes his biggest payday.


"Business-wise, I understand that," Williams said.

But Williams said that doesn't mean Margarito-De La Hoya would be a better fight than one between him and Margarito.

"It's not a good fight," he said, referring to a possible, yet improbable, Margarito-De La Hoya fight. "Everybody knows Oscar puts on a good fight, but he fades late. But with me, we going to fight the whole 12 rounds."

In short, Williams said Tuesday, he would like to see the two best welterweights in the world square off to see who indeed is the top dog in the division. To him and many experts, that would be him and Margarito, who is coming off an 11th-round technical knockout of Miguel Cotto on July 26.

"We the two biggest names out there at 147 since Floyd Mayweather left, so why can't we fight to see who the best is?" Williams said.

Alas, there is one big obstacle getting in the way of a $4 million offer made by Team Williams to Team Margarito for a rematch of their July 2007 fight won by Williams via decision. And it's not De La Hoya, who appears headed toward a farewell fight with Manny Pacquiao.

Representatives of those respective fighters -- meaning Richard Schaefer of De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions and Bob Arum (who promotes Pacquiao) of Top Rank Inc. -- are scheduled to meet this week to try and make De La Hoya-Pacquiao a done deal for Dec. 6. The chances of that fight being made are good, meaning Margarito is free to try and avenge his loss to Williams.

But Arum -- who also promotes Margarito -- and Team Williams recently went through unsuccessful negotiations for a Kelly Pavlik-Williams fight that left Arum with a sour taste in his mouth. And late Tuesday night, Arum said that taste still exists and he will not do business with the Williams camp again.

First things first. Arum, who promotes Pavlik as well, told this reporter after a hoped-for Pavlik-Williams accord blew up that in his mind Williams and his team never had any intention of fighting Pavlik.

"I think my chain was being jerked the whole time," Arum said last month. "And I'll remember that if they ever want to fight Cotto or Margarito, whoever wins that fight ... because no one is going to jerk my chain like they did. When you agree to everything that they ask for and then they don't want the fight, you have to believe that your chain was jerked."

Arum and Williams' promoter, Dan Goossen, each had his different side of the story as to why Pavlik-Williams fell apart. Arum said he offered the Williams camp all it wanted, but Goossen at the time said that was not the case, that Team Williams wanted $2.5 million and was initially offered $1.5 million. Goossen said during a press luncheon Tuesday at a Los Angeles-area restaurant that the sides ended up about $250,000 apart.

Williams is managed by George Peterson and advised by Al Haymon. Peterson was on deck at Sisley Italian Kitchen on Tuesday, and he said there was an additional reason Pavlik-Williams did not get made.



"They realized Paul was a threat to (Pavlik) and they were looking for a way out," Peterson said, putting the blame on Team Pavlik.
Advertisement


Well, guess what? Unless Arum has a big change of heart, Margarito-Williams II is not going to happen. Hours after Tuesday's gathering at the aforementioned restaurant, Arum returned a phone call. He said he sent a letter to Goossen later Tuesday afternoon letting him know that he has no intention of making this fight because of what transpired during the Pavlik-Williams parlay.

"Absolutely not," Arum said. "I wrote a letter today telling him I will not be involved with the Williams camp after the way they jerked me around and screwed around for two weeks. I will never forget that. A Margarito-Williams fight will never happen."

Arum, however, was quick to add he does not hold Goossen accountable for what went on during the Pavlik-Williams talks.

"I don't blame Goossen," Arum said. "He is the puppet, he is not the puppeteer. Goossen got played, too."

Arum was asked if he was saying that Haymon was the "puppeteer."

"That's what I'm implying," Arum said.

Well, that blows all to heck what Goossen said earlier Tuesday during a festive event. Goossen said that promoters should not let personal vendettas prevent them from making fights the public wants to see. And he's right when he says the public would want to see a rematch between Margarito and Williams, especially if it can't get Margarito-De La Hoya.

Of course, Goossen knew Arum had hard feelings stemming from the Pavlik-Williams fiasco. What he didn't know at the time was that Arum was drafting the letter that would, at least for now, crush Margarito-Williams II.

"I'm sure there is," said Goossen, when asked if there was an issue with Arum's indignation. "But that issue, there is no issue. What, is George Steinbrenner not going to play the L.A. Dodgers because the Dodgers' GM signed somebody George Steinbrenner wanted?"

In other words, Goossen said, this is not about Arum being peeved at Williams' people, it's about giving the public the best fight available in the welterweight division.

It would be three-time champion Margarito against two-time champion Williams. Both have come back to redeem themselves -- Margarito from Williams and Williams from Carlos Quintana -- and they are inarguably the two best in the division. Mix in Williams' victory over Margarito 13 months ago, and the ingredients are there for a terrific event.

It shouldn't matter, Goossen said, "that he doesn't like me or Al. I just offered him four million reasons why he should love us."

Well, Arum has enough money, so he can tell Team Williams where to put that $4 million. Apparently, that's what he's doing.

Sureno??????????
Reply With Quote
Pico Hollywood is offline
#18
Old 08-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Kobe Bryant
lefhooktodabody
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,353
Rep Power: 27 Kobe Bryant has a reputation beyond reputeKobe Bryant has a reputation beyond reputeKobe Bryant has a reputation beyond reputeKobe Bryant has a reputation beyond reputeKobe Bryant has a reputation beyond reputeKobe Bryant has a reputation beyond reputeKobe Bryant has a reputation beyond reputeKobe Bryant has a reputation beyond reputeKobe Bryant has a reputation beyond reputeKobe Bryant has a reputation beyond reputeKobe Bryant has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 468,956.07
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 468,956.07
how the hell has nobody given you a gift? - TRUTH Cheers!!!!Laker's Victory!!!! - golpealhigado The Voice Of Reason.....on a site with some ignorant mafuckas. Lef speaks the Truth. Thank you. - TRUTH 
Default

Do you feel the need to defend Margarito in every instance?
Reply With Quote
Kobe Bryant is offline
#19
Old 08-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Pico Hollywood
ars longa vita brevis
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: La Republica Dominicana
Posts: 10,809
Rep Power: 43 Pico Hollywood has a reputation beyond reputePico Hollywood has a reputation beyond reputePico Hollywood has a reputation beyond reputePico Hollywood has a reputation beyond reputePico Hollywood has a reputation beyond reputePico Hollywood has a reputation beyond reputePico Hollywood has a reputation beyond reputePico Hollywood has a reputation beyond reputePico Hollywood has a reputation beyond reputePico Hollywood has a reputation beyond reputePico Hollywood has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 278,339.55
Bank: 8,809,125.02
Total Points: 9,087,464.57
dollar dollar bill yall - JournalSquare 5000 Posts!! Congrats.. - The0neand0nly have a slice - Domain Happy 6K, P-Man. - K-Nan gift!!!! - Miyagi 
7k Pico!!!!!!!!!!!!  Cheers. - Melly-Mel drink is on me for showing love for getting me unbanned people - texanballer tags blow - Cptn. Howdy Congrats on the 8k, brotha from antha motha - Mr. Blonde Congrats, brother! - Bendigo 
8K Posts - hungryherbert 8k post celebration - !! AI-Holmes!! To homosexuality!!! - Mizzou 8k machete strikes. - Hard Dick only fruits and vegetables for joan guzman from now on. - Mr._Pink 
Merry Christmas - msagrain :) - Skylight Thanks again homie!..Chi-City ALL DAY! - Dub_C for buying me a gift when i couldnt afford it...you gave me a clover...peace homie - Makavelli Hood ass nigga - texanballer 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Left Hook Tua Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - ??? Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Pico Hollywood Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Pico Hollywood AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Childhood Cancer - mangler 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefhooktodabody View Post
Do you feel the need to defend Margarito in every instance?
I think he's a low-key Viva Mexico
Reply With Quote
Pico Hollywood is offline
#20
Old 08-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Bad_Barracuda
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,710
Rep Power: 0 Bad_Barracuda is infamous around these partsBad_Barracuda is infamous around these partsBad_Barracuda is infamous around these partsBad_Barracuda is infamous around these partsBad_Barracuda is infamous around these partsBad_Barracuda is infamous around these partsBad_Barracuda is infamous around these partsBad_Barracuda is infamous around these partsBad_Barracuda is infamous around these partsBad_Barracuda is infamous around these partsBad_Barracuda is infamous around these parts
Points: 31,300.34
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 31,300.34
have a cold one - Pico Hollywood 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El 7 Mares View Post
Let me tell you why.

Joshua Clottey just fought a main event against the former WW Champion, Zab Judah on HBO and won. He is on a winning streak and hasn't lost a fight since Tony Margarito in '06.

Paul Williams' last two fights were on Showtime. Neither of which was the main event. He lost the first one, with a horrible showing, and didn't show much in the rematch, which could be considered a fluke, with Quintana not being properly warmed up.

If Williams wants to raise his value, he needs to seek a 3rd fight with Quintana or a slugfest against Kermit Cintron. This fight needs to happen on HBO, preferibly on a doubleheader with Tony vs Clottey. Then maybe if he wins, a fight with Tony would be more sellable to the general public.
**** all that

Clottey isn't offering Marge 4 million.

4 mil is more than Tony has even made.

Paul Williams HAS YOU SHOOK...you want him to fight everybody but the TIJUANA TROPICAL DEPRESSION.

Tony talked all that **** about Floyd being a ducker..now HE'S the one CLUCKING and DUCKING.
Reply With Quote
Bad_Barracuda is offline
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
clottey, fight, ignoring, margarito, williams?

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright 2003-2013 BoxingScene LLC All rights reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:27 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.