Home training - Boxing Forum
Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 02:42 PM #1
wetodd wetodd is offline
Amateur
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 21
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0
wetodd has a reputation beyond reputewetodd has a reputation beyond reputewetodd has a reputation beyond reputewetodd has a reputation beyond reputewetodd has a reputation beyond reputewetodd has a reputation beyond reputewetodd has a reputation beyond reputewetodd has a reputation beyond reputewetodd has a reputation beyond reputewetodd has a reputation beyond reputewetodd has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 3,830.17
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 3,830.17
Default Home training

sup peeps? This is a good forum. Im a huge boxing fan, and i want to start boxing. Im 21, and yeh i know that might be a little old to start but im not lookin to become world champ or anything. But anyway my delimna is this. I go to school right now, and dont have that good of a job. The few gyms i have in my area are pretty expensive and i wont be able to afford them till im done with school and get a good job, which is about two years away. I have is a heavy bag and jump rope and some wieghts. What can i do at home to help me improve or to at least get me in boxing shape.
wetodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 07-12-2008, 02:53 PM #2
mspiegelo mspiegelo is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Manhattan, NY
Age: 33
Posts: 2,295
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 13
mspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 98,843.38
Bank: 722,531.25
Total Points: 821,374.63
You get 1KO in sparring, and BoxScene ranks you undisputed champ. Congrats... - Spiegelo your alt is on crack! lmao - Left Hook Tua No Message - T-97 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetodd View Post
sup peeps? This is a good forum. Im a huge boxing fan, and i want to start boxing. Im 21, and yeh i know that might be a little old to start but im not lookin to become world champ or anything. But anyway my delimna is this. I go to school right now, and dont have that good of a job. The few gyms i have in my area are pretty expensive and i wont be able to afford them till im done with school and get a good job, which is about two years away. I have is a heavy bag and jump rope and some wieghts. What can i do at home to help me improve or to at least get me in boxing shape.
i'd reccomend 1-3 training sessions at the gym at first to get an idea of the basics. then take what you;'ve learned and work out at home til you can afford a monthly or yearly membership.

buy one of those self-timers (10 -30 bucks off titleboxing.com) so you can time rounds. run 36 minutes every other day at first, prefereably on grass or a track to save your knees. once your joints are ready, run every day. Warm up with three, 3 mintue rounds of jump rope with 30 second breaks.

work on heavybag for 3, 3 minute rounds with 30 sec break. work on combos and keeping your hands up i.e. 1 slip rightt; 1, 1 slip right; 1,2, slip left; 123 slip right, 232 slip left, 323 slip right; 456 slip left, 543 slip right. then all together 123456, slip left...

for your reference (assuming your orthodox, if your a lefty (southpaw then reverse left and right)
1 - left jab
2 - right cross
3 - left hook
4 - right uppercut
5 - left uppercut
6- right hook

for workout you can divide into 3 days a week with days off in between.

1) pushups/rows
2) squats/leg presses
3) dips/pullups

situps every day (stomach muscles are the only muscles that wont get fatigued from daily excercise)

also take notes on fights. what do you counter a left hook with. how do you box a southpaw. watch the greats and write it down...

watch clips of pros sadowboxing. shadowbox in front of a mirror working on punch technique. do it slow, then do it somewhere you have a lot of space incorporating movemen.

that should hold you over for now... good luck.
mspiegelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:00 PM #3
wetodd wetodd is offline
Amateur
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 21
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0
wetodd has a reputation beyond reputewetodd has a reputation beyond reputewetodd has a reputation beyond reputewetodd has a reputation beyond reputewetodd has a reputation beyond reputewetodd has a reputation beyond reputewetodd has a reputation beyond reputewetodd has a reputation beyond reputewetodd has a reputation beyond reputewetodd has a reputation beyond reputewetodd has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 3,830.17
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 3,830.17
Default

Wow, this is really helpful. Thanks for taking the time to post
wetodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:14 PM #4
PunchDrunk PunchDrunk is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Age: 44
Posts: 2,422
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Rep Power: 16
PunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 43,669.61
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 43,669.61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspiegelo View Post
i'd reccomend 1-3 training sessions at the gym at first to get an idea of the basics. then take what you;'ve learned and work out at home til you can afford a monthly or yearly membership.

buy one of those self-timers (10 -30 bucks off titleboxing.com) so you can time rounds. run 36 minutes every other day at first, prefereably on grass or a track to save your knees. once your joints are ready, run every day. Warm up with three, 3 mintue rounds of jump rope with 30 second breaks.

work on heavybag for 3, 3 minute rounds with 30 sec break. work on combos and keeping your hands up i.e. 1 slip rightt; 1, 1 slip right; 1,2, slip left; 123 slip right, 232 slip left, 323 slip right; 456 slip left, 543 slip right. then all together 123456, slip left...

for your reference (assuming your orthodox, if your a lefty (southpaw then reverse left and right)
1 - left jab
2 - right cross
3 - left hook
4 - right uppercut
5 - left uppercut
6- right hook

for workout you can divide into 3 days a week with days off in between.

1) pushups/rows
2) squats/leg presses
3) dips/pullups

situps every day (stomach muscles are the only muscles that wont get fatigued from daily excercise)

also take notes on fights. what do you counter a left hook with. how do you box a southpaw. watch the greats and write it down...

watch clips of pros sadowboxing. shadowbox in front of a mirror working on punch technique. do it slow, then do it somewhere you have a lot of space incorporating movemen.

that should hold you over for now... good luck.
The thing about the abdominal muscles being the only ones not affected by daily exercise is a myth. They do not differ fundamentally from other muscle groups, and can absolutely be overworked, just like any other muscle group.

I would agree with your inital assesment: Going to a gym is a must, if a person wants to box. Especially a complete beginner.
PunchDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:26 PM #5
mspiegelo mspiegelo is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Manhattan, NY
Age: 33
Posts: 2,295
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 13
mspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 98,843.38
Bank: 722,531.25
Total Points: 821,374.63
You get 1KO in sparring, and BoxScene ranks you undisputed champ. Congrats... - Spiegelo your alt is on crack! lmao - Left Hook Tua No Message - T-97 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunchDrunk View Post
The thing about the abdominal muscles being the only ones not affected by daily exercise is a myth. They do not differ fundamentally from other muscle groups, and can absolutely be overworked, just like any other muscle group.

I would agree with your inital assesment: Going to a gym is a must, if a person wants to box. Especially a complete beginner.
why does mayweather do 500 crunches then everyday?!? not trying to challenge you, just curious... i will be studying for my cscs soon, so i will discover the truth! thanks.
mspiegelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:23 PM #6
PunchDrunk PunchDrunk is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Age: 44
Posts: 2,422
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Rep Power: 16
PunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 43,669.61
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 43,669.61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspiegelo View Post
why does mayweather do 500 crunches then everyday?!? not trying to challenge you, just curious... i will be studying for my cscs soon, so i will discover the truth! thanks.
Because he's in the 1% elite, fitness wise, in this world? The truth is he crunches aren't the only thing he does everyday. One of the things you have to do to become an elite practitioner in any sport, is to work on your fitness to the point where you can do extreme amounts of training. Professional cyclists ride their bikes 3 hours or more every day. Does that mean that leg muscles aren't affected by training every day? Of course not. They're just extremely talented individuals who have spent years and years getting to the point where they can do that. Same thing with Mayweather, he's been training for what, 20 years? No beginner can or should train like the elite, because it will lead to overtraining and injury, not to mention de-motivation. Hope that made sense
PunchDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:29 PM #7
mspiegelo mspiegelo is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Manhattan, NY
Age: 33
Posts: 2,295
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 13
mspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 98,843.38
Bank: 722,531.25
Total Points: 821,374.63
You get 1KO in sparring, and BoxScene ranks you undisputed champ. Congrats... - Spiegelo your alt is on crack! lmao - Left Hook Tua No Message - T-97 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunchDrunk View Post
Because he's in the 1% elite, fitness wise, in this world? The truth is he crunches aren't the only thing he does everyday. One of the things you have to do to become an elite practitioner in any sport, is to work on your fitness to the point where you can do extreme amounts of training. Professional cyclists ride their bikes 3 hours or more every day. Does that mean that leg muscles aren't affected by training every day? Of course not. They're just extremely talented individuals who have spent years and years getting to the point where they can do that. Same thing with Mayweather, he's been training for what, 20 years? No beginner can or should train like the elite, because it will lead to overtraining and injury, not to mention de-motivation. Hope that made sense
sure does. i do 500 crunches a day taking off sundays- but was worried for a sec. i only did 200 today after i read that (well 150 so far, one set of 50 left)... i am a raging psycho doing sets of pushups, rows, situps, and front/lat shoulder raises and checking boxingscene in between sets haha.... im about to do 15 minutes jump rope, shower and then time for klitschko baby!!!

anyway, i will ask my supervisor when i go to the gym mon (i work as a personal trainer) and learn more as i continue to study to get cscs certified. cheers.
mspiegelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:52 PM #8
PunchDrunk PunchDrunk is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Age: 44
Posts: 2,422
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Rep Power: 16
PunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 43,669.61
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 43,669.61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspiegelo View Post
sure does. i do 500 crunches a day taking off sundays- but was worried for a sec. i only did 200 today after i read that (well 150 so far, one set of 50 left)... i am a raging psycho doing sets of pushups, rows, situps, and front/lat shoulder raises and checking boxingscene in between sets haha.... im about to do 15 minutes jump rope, shower and then time for klitschko baby!!!

anyway, i will ask my supervisor when i go to the gym mon (i work as a personal trainer) and learn more as i continue to study to get cscs certified. cheers.
Sounds good with the training!

Hmm, I don't know about over there, but over here personal trainers are usually some of the people perpetuating myths, due to those certifications being on a very dubious level... Anyway, there's nothing magic about the abdominals that makes them impervious to wear and tear from training.
PunchDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:41 PM #9
!! Shawn !! Shawn is online now
!! Shown
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,197
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Rep Power: 49
!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 63,403,911,603.51
Bank: 73,970,284,895,985.08
Total Points: 74,033,688,807,588.58
Thanks for the advice. - mickey gomez to help keep you sharp in your debates - -PedoBear- Nonito Donaire's #1 fan. He loves talking about him all day. Shawn + Nonito = &lt;3 - subhuman Happy holidays bro! - led* Hypocrites&gt; Hippocrates :dunno: :lol1: - jose830 
Thanks for the karma.  Here's a gift . Always thought u were a good poster  and ur a fellow Rigotard . - Respect Power 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - NewYork 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunchDrunk View Post
Sounds good with the training!

Hmm, I don't know about over there, but over here personal trainers are usually some of the people perpetuating myths, due to those certifications being on a very dubious level... Anyway, there's nothing magic about the abdominals that makes them impervious to wear and tear from training.
Abdominals are extremely resistant to over training for the same reason calve muscles are. They are endurance muscles that spend all day supporting our body.

Same reason it is difficult to develop massive neck muscles, the neck already spends all day holding your head.
!! Shawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:50 PM #10
PunchDrunk PunchDrunk is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Age: 44
Posts: 2,422
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Rep Power: 16
PunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 43,669.61
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 43,669.61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by !! Shawn View Post
Abdominals are extremely resistant to over training for the same reason calve muscles are. They are endurance muscles that spend all day supporting our body.

Same reason it is difficult to develop massive neck muscles, the neck already spends all day holding your head.
This we can agree on, I think. It does depend on who you are and what kind of training you do. A beginner who is not used to training, can easily overreach on any kind of training, including the abs. When starting out, all muscles need more recovery than they do once you get into decent shape.
It would be easy to devise a program that would destroy anyones abs, including PBF, especially if you're hitting the abs every day with it.
PunchDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share This With Friends

User Tag List

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.