Does any other boxer or aspiring boxer wish they were shorter? - Boxing Forum
Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 07-05-2008, 07:27 AM #1
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 44,142.73
Default Does any other boxer or aspiring boxer wish they were shorter?

i'm a heavyweight and i'm 6'4. i wish i was shorter because i have really nice short punches and am great at bodypunching. i realise in boxing the norm is 'taller = better. is there anyone else here who would like to be shorter or am i just strange!
hemichromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 07-05-2008, 08:58 AM #2
Interim Champion

Trrmo is a glorious beacon of lightTrrmo is a glorious beacon of lightTrrmo is a glorious beacon of lightTrrmo is a glorious beacon of lightTrrmo is a glorious beacon of light
Total Points: 66,442.11

Whats your reach? I am 63 and think about 74 inch reach (fingertip to fingertip). Height doesnt always mean longer reach. Thomas hearns was 61 with 78 inch reach! imagine that at welter!.
I personally would rather have a longer reach than be shorter!
Trrmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:43 AM #3
Undisputed Champion

J_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,210,975.64
Total Points: 1,358,452.75
Good game man.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 3K! - T-97 Happy 3000th man!  Here's to 3k more! - abosworth 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trrmo View Post
Whats your reach? I am 63 and think about 74 inch reach (fingertip to fingertip). Height doesnt always mean longer reach. Thomas hearns was 61 with 78 inch reach! imagine that at welter!.
I personally would rather have a longer reach than be shorter!
You have some pretty short arms. im 5 10 1/2 and my reach is 74 1/2 inches
J_CON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:33 PM #4
Undisputed Champion

dfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 558,916.94
Total Points: 592,518.67

I think nearly everybody sometimes wishes they were the opposite build as themselves, i thought about it whenever I got my ass kicked by a really short guy and I'm 6'1. You should try to spar anybody in your gym taller than you, you'll probably learn to appreciate your height.
dfwtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:09 PM #5
Undisputed Champion

hemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond repute

you might be right i do have long arms and a great jab. i think i must like it on the inside because my striaght right is terriblem,quick but not as powerful as my jab! unfortunately i'm the second tallest in my gym and the only bigger quy is a novice
Old 07-05-2008, 09:43 PM #6
Undisputed Champion

mspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond reputemspiegelo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 722,531.25
Total Points: 821,504.63
You get 1KO in sparring, and BoxScene ranks you undisputed champ. Congrats... - Spiegelo your alt is on crack! lmao - Left Hook Tua No Message - T-97 

never measured before now, but I'm 6'3'' with a 77" reach and I aim to fight 165. I'm an outside fighter but am looking to work on my inside game for those tricky moments when guys find their way in on me.

Its good that you have an inside game for a tall guy. Winky says you gotta learn how to do it all to be adaptable. That way, you can box, you can counter, or you can bang. Perhaps if you dropped weight, your height would be more of an advantage...
mspiegelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:04 PM #7
Up and Comer

laurinsane8 is on a distinguished road
Total Points: 19,780.12

Naw I think I would wish I were taller. I was always shorter then my opponents. I'm short and stalky. But I liked fighting in close so I just had to work my way to the inside.
laurinsane8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:51 AM #8
Up and Comer

remorseless08 is on a distinguished road
Total Points: 13,828.80

i just chacked my reach it was 71.5 inches, im a 180 cm tall (5'11). The thing is im skinny and dont have broad shouldes but have long arms. Can you measure reach by just arm length.
remorseless08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:54 AM #9
Up and Comer

remorseless08 is on a distinguished road
Total Points: 13,828.80

and...

i would rather be taller, because then you can box from the outside or if you do have really good body punches you can still use them to in close, but if your shortet you cant really box from the outside if he has a longer reach. So being taller you have more options.
remorseless08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:05 AM #10
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by remorseless08 View Post
and...

i would rather be taller, because then you can box from the outside or if you do have really good body punches you can still use them to in close, but if your shortet you cant really box from the outside if he has a longer reach. So being taller you have more options.
your chin is so exposed if your tall and you figbht on the inside.

Share This With Friends

User Tag List