VIDEO: Defensive Drills - Boxing Forum
Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 06-22-2008, 02:33 PM #1
!! Shown

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 72,519,887,152,926.55
Total Points: 72,583,291,064,471.69
Thanks for the advice. - mickey gomez to help keep you sharp in your debates - -PedoBear- Nonito Donaire's #1 fan. He loves talking about him all day. Shawn + Nonito = <3 - subhuman Happy holidays bro! - led* Hypocrites> Hippocrates :dunno: :lol1: - jose830 
Thanks for the karma.  Here's a gift . Always thought u were a good poster  and ur a fellow Rigotard . - Respect Power 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - NewYork 
Default VIDEO: Defensive Drills

Two rounds of defensive drills with Luke!

First round is Luke throwing punches at me. Second round is me throwing punches at Luke.
Heavy emphasis is placed on relaxation.

These rounds were filmed immediately prior to our "sparring", which the more astute among you realize was merely an escalation of the defensive drills.
!! Shawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-22-2008, 02:45 PM #2
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fidayin has a reputation beyond reputeFidayin has a reputation beyond reputeFidayin has a reputation beyond reputeFidayin has a reputation beyond reputeFidayin has a reputation beyond reputeFidayin has a reputation beyond reputeFidayin has a reputation beyond reputeFidayin has a reputation beyond reputeFidayin has a reputation beyond reputeFidayin has a reputation beyond reputeFidayin has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 13,258.10
Total Points: 36,930.26
Cheers to Abraham! - Mike Tyson77 

damn uve got some nice skills if ur the guy whose working with the pads.
If ur one of those 2 retards dancing with each other in the ring then i would suggest to find another hobby.
Fidayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:58 PM #3
Contender

TheTruthIs will become famous soon enough
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 11,763.27

The kid on the pads has some decent snap going on. Not sure what that fairy dance was going on behind him tho.
TheTruthIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:12 PM #4
Interim Champion

Trrmo is a glorious beacon of lightTrrmo is a glorious beacon of lightTrrmo is a glorious beacon of lightTrrmo is a glorious beacon of lightTrrmo is a glorious beacon of light
Total Points: 66,378.11

I gave you a bit of criticism when I saw the defensive drill video of you ´sparring´with Luke, but I hadnt seen any other videos of you so I took a look.

I was quite surprised because in the shadow boxing and bag punching video and to be honest you moved well, looked fluid, comfortable in southpaw and orthodox stance, you threw a good variety of punches as well. You looked quite experienced and I wouldnt say novice at all. You werent hitting the bag hard because of sore hands ok fair enough, the only real criticism I could see is you often do this little stylistic hand rolls fist over fist between punches which is a bad habit which could make your punches more predictable to an opponent.

But these videos of you with Luke is a different story, it doesnt seem the same person. Your footwork is plodding and one directional (the ring is very small which does make things difficult I admit) You right hand is often carried above your forehead with you elbow out quite far which looks very strange. It really does look very novice. What is the purpose of posting these videos?
Trrmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:22 PM #5
P4P Champion

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
sterling has a reputation beyond reputesterling has a reputation beyond reputesterling has a reputation beyond reputesterling has a reputation beyond reputesterling has a reputation beyond reputesterling has a reputation beyond reputesterling has a reputation beyond reputesterling has a reputation beyond reputesterling has a reputation beyond reputesterling has a reputation beyond reputesterling has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,000,001,878,215.62
cuz I like you even though you don't like Nate ;) - Massage Queen Enjoy - Scott.Weiland 
Send a message via MSN to sterling Send a message via Yahoo to sterling

thats **** stfu shawn.
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:25 PM #6
Boxing in the face

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nacho_Analstain has a reputation beyond reputeNacho_Analstain has a reputation beyond reputeNacho_Analstain has a reputation beyond reputeNacho_Analstain has a reputation beyond reputeNacho_Analstain has a reputation beyond reputeNacho_Analstain has a reputation beyond reputeNacho_Analstain has a reputation beyond reputeNacho_Analstain has a reputation beyond reputeNacho_Analstain has a reputation beyond reputeNacho_Analstain has a reputation beyond reputeNacho_Analstain has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 57,935,313.77
Total Points: 58,507,389.76
This Beer represents Roy beating Joe Calzaghe, VERY SOON! - reedickyaluss No Message - azza No Message - azza No Message - azza No Message - azza 
No Message - azza No Message - azza what kind of a sad cunt buys himself gifts? - mickeyb fucking gay - mickeyb No Message - P4PKING_2008 
Your milkshake brings all the whores to the board. Well, at least one of them. - K-Nan rocky sucks - RichLoc Don't say I never gave you anything ;) - woftam does cotto make you randy baby, yeah?? - Sin City Arise Sir Azza of Chavvington - Jambo Boy 
Send a message via MSN to Nacho_Analstain

What you do with your hands is weird, Either down by your side or up really high and wide.

What part of that video did you try to trick him? You say thats what your style is based on but i don't see it, You walked around the ring in the same direction in the whole video, All Luke had to do was cut the ring off and put pressure on.

Besides, Luke was throwing piss poor shots at you, Not too hard to defend.

Why don't you practice defending at full speed, Power and aggression? Thats how you get better, You act sharper and learn quicker when you know you HAVE to defend the punch or your getting smacked, While you were dancing around with Luke .. In the back of your head you were thinking " Even if he connects its not gonna hurt " and thats not good.
Nacho_Analstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:48 PM #7
!! Shown

!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the advice. - mickey gomez to help keep you sharp in your debates - -PedoBear- Nonito Donaire's #1 fan. He loves talking about him all day. Shawn + Nonito = &lt;3 - subhuman Happy holidays bro! - led* Hypocrites&gt; Hippocrates :dunno: :lol1: - jose830 
Thanks for the karma.  Here's a gift . Always thought u were a good poster  and ur a fellow Rigotard . - Respect Power 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - NewYork 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trrmo View Post
I gave you a bit of criticism when I saw the defensive drill video of you ´sparring´with Luke, but I hadnt seen any other videos of you so I took a look.

I was quite surprised because in the shadow boxing and bag punching video and to be honest you moved well, looked fluid, comfortable in southpaw and orthodox stance, you threw a good variety of punches as well. You looked quite experienced and I wouldnt say novice at all. You werent hitting the bag hard because of sore hands ok fair enough, the only real criticism I could see is you often do this little stylistic hand rolls fist over fist between punches which is a bad habit which could make your punches more predictable to an opponent.

But these videos of you with Luke is a different story, it doesnt seem the same person. Your footwork is plodding and one directional (the ring is very small which does make things difficult I admit) You right hand is often carried above your forehead with you elbow out quite far which looks very strange. It really does look very novice. What is the purpose of posting these videos?
I haven't brought it up because I don't like to make excuses, but all of the footage with Luke was made while I had two broken toes. My big toe on my right foot, and my middle toe on my left foot.

I broke them sailing, jumped from the deck into the ****pit and landed wrong. AZZA can confirm my story.

The hand high with the elbow out is a controlling tactic. Its basically hovering there and your opponent knows if they try anything with their left hand, that right hand is coming down on them. Your opponent also has a tendency to look at that hand up there and try to figure out a way to get past it, but while they are doing that, they forget about the other punches you can throw.

It also give you the ability to pull down their jab which is absolute hell on their shoulder. Fatigues their jabbing arm very very quickly if they try to throw with any power.

Usually they will start bringing their jab back low in an attempt to try to avoid the pull down, and that is the real purpose of the move. It forces them to either stop jabbing, or to jab in a way that creates perfect counter-punching opportunities.

I also like to do it on occasion with my left hand to their strait right. Although its not really as effective in creating usable openings, it can put them off balance, and it is very discouraging to your opponent.

I agree with you about what I call the "choo-choo". I use it as part of my feinting arsenal, there are lots of subtle feints included in the motion that is not really visible at the low video qualities on youtube.

I have got in the habit of doing it pretty much every time I am about to punch, its definitely something I need to stop doing.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:01 PM #8
!! Shown

Thanks for the advice. - mickey gomez to help keep you sharp in your debates - -PedoBear- Nonito Donaire's #1 fan. He loves talking about him all day. Shawn + Nonito = &lt;3 - subhuman Happy holidays bro! - led* Hypocrites&gt; Hippocrates :dunno: :lol1: - jose830 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azza View Post
What you do with your hands is weird, Either down by your side or up really high and wide.

What part of that video did you try to trick him? You say thats what your style is based on but i don't see it, You walked around the ring in the same direction in the whole video, All Luke had to do was cut the ring off and put pressure on.

Besides, Luke was throwing piss poor shots at you, Not too hard to defend.

Why don't you practice defending at full speed, Power and aggression? Thats how you get better, You act sharper and learn quicker when you know you HAVE to defend the punch or your getting smacked, While you were dancing around with Luke .. In the back of your head you were thinking " Even if he connects its not gonna hurt " and thats not good.
That is the reason why you throw light punches when you are focusing on relaxation. You are not going to relax if you are thinking, "If I **** up I am gonna get KTFO!".

On a side note, getting hit never even crosses my mind when I am in the ring.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:03 PM #9
Banned

P4PKING_2008 has a reputation beyond reputeP4PKING_2008 has a reputation beyond reputeP4PKING_2008 has a reputation beyond reputeP4PKING_2008 has a reputation beyond reputeP4PKING_2008 has a reputation beyond reputeP4PKING_2008 has a reputation beyond reputeP4PKING_2008 has a reputation beyond reputeP4PKING_2008 has a reputation beyond reputeP4PKING_2008 has a reputation beyond reputeP4PKING_2008 has a reputation beyond reputeP4PKING_2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 968.46
Total Points: 493,445.10
No Message - azza here ya go Chris - TheDemdzasGhost 5KP - RichLoc cunt - reedickyaluss please vote richloc for mod in 2008 - Left Hook Tua 
Send a message via MSN to P4PKING_2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by !! Shawn View Post
I haven't brought it up because I don't like to make excuses, but all of the footage with Luke was made while I had two broken toes. My big toe on my right foot, and my middle toe on my left foot.

I broke them sailing, jumped from the deck into the ****pit and landed wrong. AZZA can confirm my story.

The hand high with the elbow out is a controlling tactic. Its basically hovering there and your opponent knows if they try anything with their left hand, that right hand is coming down on them. Your opponent also has a tendency to look at that hand up there and try to figure out a way to get past it, but while they are doing that, they forget about the other punches you can throw.

It also give you the ability to pull down their jab which is absolute hell on their shoulder. Fatigues their jabbing arm very very quickly if they try to throw with any power.

Usually they will start bringing their jab back low in an attempt to try to avoid the pull down, and that is the real purpose of the move. It forces them to either stop jabbing, or to jab in a way that creates perfect counter-punching opportunities.

I also like to do it on occasion with my left hand to their strait right. Although its not really as effective in creating usable openings, it can put them off balance, and it is very discouraging to your opponent.

I agree with you about what I call the "choo-choo". I use it as part of my feinting arsenal, there are lots of subtle feints included in the motion that is not really visible at the low video qualities on youtube.

I have got in the habit of doing it pretty much every time I am about to punch, its definitely something I need to stop doing.

That is complete bulll****. And no one does it at all. Because it simply would not work. Controlling tactic you need to just man up and fight instead of trying to play mind games with your opponent.
P4PKING_2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:31 PM #10
Interim Champion

Trrmo is a glorious beacon of lightTrrmo is a glorious beacon of lightTrrmo is a glorious beacon of lightTrrmo is a glorious beacon of lightTrrmo is a glorious beacon of light
Total Points: 66,378.11

The hand high with the elbow out is a controlling tactic. Its basically hovering there and your opponent knows if they try anything with their left hand, that right hand is coming down on them.

I would like anyone reading this to put their right hand high on the side of their foreheads with their elbow out and then throw a punch, try it, and it will be a slapping arm punch from the elbow like trying to knuckle someone on their head (unless they are 7 foot tall!) not what I would call effective. Also leaves your right side of your body very vulnerable.

I agree with you about what I call the "choo-choo". I use it as part of my feinting arsenal, there are lots of subtle feints included in the motion that is not really visible at the low video qualities on youtube

well at least you accept some constructive criticism, but subtle feints in this ´choo-choo´roll, are you serious!!!

(sorry about the quoting not sure how to do this properly)
Trrmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

User Tag List