Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Non Boxing Talk > Mixed Martial Arts Discussion
Thread Navigation

Old 02-09-2015, 10:03 PM
MysticNinjaJay
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 1 MysticNinjaJay has a reputation beyond reputeMysticNinjaJay has a reputation beyond reputeMysticNinjaJay has a reputation beyond reputeMysticNinjaJay has a reputation beyond reputeMysticNinjaJay has a reputation beyond reputeMysticNinjaJay has a reputation beyond reputeMysticNinjaJay has a reputation beyond reputeMysticNinjaJay has a reputation beyond reputeMysticNinjaJay has a reputation beyond reputeMysticNinjaJay has a reputation beyond reputeMysticNinjaJay has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 11,967.12
Default Bruce Lee vs. Gary Elms

How many Boxing fans are aware that Bruce Lee won an amateur Boxing tournament in 1958 in Hong Kong? According to Bruce Lee's biography he beat an English student for the championship.

Brucelee.com - Biography

Quote:
In high school, Bruce, now no longer a weak child, was beginning to hone his body through hard training. One of his accomplishments was winning an interschool Boxing Championship against an English student in which the Marquis of Queensbury rules were followed and no kicking was allowed.
In a 1982 edition of Black Belt magazine it says that his opponent in the finals of the tournament was named Gary Elms.

Some Bruce Lee critics and haters claim that there is no evidence that Gary Elms exists. There's no picture of him or record of his Boxing exploits yet he was a 3-time champion in high school. The only eye witness account I can find besides William Cheung, who trained Bruce Lee for the fight, is a man named Rolf Clausnitzer who says in an interview that he was a classmate of Gary Elms, knew Bruce Lee and saw the fight.

http://www.wingchun.com/ROLF.htm

DP: So, how was their match together? As an eyewitness, what can you say about the fight?

RC: His bout with Bruce turned out to be the most amazing and bizarre boxing match I have ever seen and expect to see. I honestly believe that Gary did not land even one single scoring punch throughout the entire 3 x 1 minute rounds, with Bruce deflecting and taking all of Gary's punches on his arms. Gary was knocked down several times, but he was not knocked out (contrary to what has been reported in various articles and books!) and, even more surprisingly, he did not appear to be hurt or distressed. Each time he was floored, he would immediately jump back up. That's why the referee did not stop the fight. Notwithstanding Gary's extraordinary toughness, I was amazed to see him survive the bout in such good shape. It was not until later when I caught up with Frank that some sort of explanation emerged.

DP: Do you recall what your brother Frank told you about this?

RC: Apparently, when Frank and his friends went to congratulate Bruce after the bout, Bruce was shaking his head and looking far from pleased with himself. His reply to Frank's obvious question was something along the lines of, "Damn it, I couldn't knock the guy out". His rationalisation was that the large (16oz?) gloves neutralised the intended, penetrating effect of tilting the wrist on impact, a practice common to many Wing Chun practitioners (I gather he abandoned this practice in later years). He reckoned that this force was not penetrating the padding and, in any case, Gary was already being propelled backwards from the pushing impact of the glove. He swore that he would continue training until he could achieve the penetration he wanted. He also had his sights set on Peter Burton, a stylish and hard punching boxer from St George's School (which was exclusively for the children of British Armed Forces personnel in Hong Kong), a much bigger and heavier competitor who had TKO'd his opponent in the second round. By the way, Frank and I met Peter (who turned out to be half German as well) at a party a few weeks later and we talked about Bruce, but it's unlikely that such a bout would ever have been approved because of the weight and size differences and, in any case, Bruce left for the USA a few months later to begin a new chapter in his amazing life.

I would like to see if some Boxing historians from this website can verify the existence of Gary Elms. This is the only known situation where Bruce Lee is said to have fought in competition so it is an interesting historical topic.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 02-09-2015, 11:19 PM
Big BRICKS
your girl let me smash

Rep Power: 69 Big BRICKS has a reputation beyond reputeBig BRICKS has a reputation beyond reputeBig BRICKS has a reputation beyond reputeBig BRICKS has a reputation beyond reputeBig BRICKS has a reputation beyond reputeBig BRICKS has a reputation beyond reputeBig BRICKS has a reputation beyond reputeBig BRICKS has a reputation beyond reputeBig BRICKS has a reputation beyond reputeBig BRICKS has a reputation beyond reputeBig BRICKS has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,729,014,716,433.00
Total Points: 3,733,582,020,977.93
from the alpha male of street fighter, TRY THIS ON FOR SIZE! - Ether Stop getting banned mister! :spankme: - *La Patrona* Happy Easter :kiss: - Bossy parallelogram son - KING MEAT 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Ether 

Prolly ask ppl in boxing history section
Old 02-09-2015, 11:38 PM
MysticNinjaJay
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 1 MysticNinjaJay has a reputation beyond reputeMysticNinjaJay has a reputation beyond reputeMysticNinjaJay has a reputation beyond reputeMysticNinjaJay has a reputation beyond reputeMysticNinjaJay has a reputation beyond reputeMysticNinjaJay has a reputation beyond reputeMysticNinjaJay has a reputation beyond reputeMysticNinjaJay has a reputation beyond reputeMysticNinjaJay has a reputation beyond reputeMysticNinjaJay has a reputation beyond reputeMysticNinjaJay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big BRICKS View Post
Prolly ask ppl in boxing history section
Ironically I put this in the Boxing history section. Someone moved it.

I know Bruce Lee is known as a Martial Artist but this is about a Boxing match.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:18 PM
Clegg

Rep Power: 154 Clegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 8,044,814,384,461,544.00
Total Points: 8,111,903,354,775,017.00
Before I get banned. - Richard Nixon FREE RiZO! - Carlton Banks MMM-My Sharona! - RiZО Have an apple Clegg - danc1984 Yank food is good - mangler jr 
Chunk cake - It's part of your 5 a day! - Chunk Coffee Is Professional - Loccy To make up for that soggy one. - Raider Monkz mhh Alizee is moi lolita &amp;lt;3 - cleaner147 Professional Cookie - Loccy 
super clegg - Old Coward No Message - -veteran420- with love - -veteran420- Merry Christmas - Flab Happy new year! - Toney Loc 
yum yum pot noodle - Mike_Hunt super e-baller - MANIAC310 Well deserved, never saw you at history section - HaglerSteelChin It sounds like you need one, LOL - HaglerSteelChin Have some more - HaglerSteelChin 
Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - mangler Gay and Lesbian Pride - The Scientist Gay and Lesbian Pride - RiΖΟ Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - PensionKiller Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Loccy 
Childhood Cancer - MANGLER Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MANGLER Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Head and Neck Cancer - LeeVanCleef 

Seems unlikely anyone will find a trace of this guy, especially if he only fought amateur boxing in high school. I wouldn't call BS on Lee winning a boxing tournament at that level, maybe on the description of the fight though.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:45 PM
MysticNinjaJay
Up and Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clegg View Post
Seems unlikely anyone will find a trace of this guy, especially if he only fought amateur boxing in high school. I wouldn't call BS on Lee winning a boxing tournament at that level, maybe on the description of the fight though.
I agree. He'd have to make himself known for us to find him. Critics want a picture or interviews but I don't see him giving interviews on a loss that happened many years ago when he was just a teenager. Basically he's just too low profile for us to find him but with some detective work maybe someone will find something someday.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:09 PM
Big BRICKS
your girl let me smash

Rep Power: 69 Big BRICKS has a reputation beyond reputeBig BRICKS has a reputation beyond reputeBig BRICKS has a reputation beyond reputeBig BRICKS has a reputation beyond reputeBig BRICKS has a reputation beyond reputeBig BRICKS has a reputation beyond reputeBig BRICKS has a reputation beyond reputeBig BRICKS has a reputation beyond reputeBig BRICKS has a reputation beyond reputeBig BRICKS has a reputation beyond reputeBig BRICKS has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,729,014,716,433.00
Total Points: 3,733,582,020,977.93
from the alpha male of street fighter, TRY THIS ON FOR SIZE! - Ether Stop getting banned mister! :spankme: - *La Patrona* Happy Easter :kiss: - Bossy parallelogram son - KING MEAT 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Ether 

Fight description seems anime as hell

But idk someone with nice hands might get that kind of reaction anyways from someone trying to hype him up
Old 02-15-2015, 01:32 AM
80sFighter
Total Stud

Rep Power: 11 80sFighter has a reputation beyond repute80sFighter has a reputation beyond repute80sFighter has a reputation beyond repute80sFighter has a reputation beyond repute80sFighter has a reputation beyond repute80sFighter has a reputation beyond repute80sFighter has a reputation beyond repute80sFighter has a reputation beyond repute80sFighter has a reputation beyond repute80sFighter has a reputation beyond repute80sFighter has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 899,387,092.24
Thank you! - Bughuul. No Message - Tha_Greatest Friendship - -Weltschmerz- Merry Christmas and All The Best for 2015 - Freedom. For being a boss - Y0@NN 

Movies are not real, go outside.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:59 PM
KnockoutNed
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 1 KnockoutNed has much to be proud ofKnockoutNed has much to be proud ofKnockoutNed has much to be proud ofKnockoutNed has much to be proud ofKnockoutNed has much to be proud ofKnockoutNed has much to be proud ofKnockoutNed has much to be proud ofKnockoutNed has much to be proud ofKnockoutNed has much to be proud ofKnockoutNed has much to be proud of
Total Points: 4,147.34

Bruce Lee always went undefeated in his movies.

Last edited by KnockoutNed; 02-16-2015 at 09:03 PM.