serra-Ìm having my trainers and sparring partners boo me on a regular basis` - Boxing Forum
Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Non Boxing Talk > Mixed Martial Arts Discussion

Old 04-16-2008, 09:19 PM #1
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2swell k-wells is infamous around these parts2swell k-wells is infamous around these parts2swell k-wells is infamous around these parts2swell k-wells is infamous around these parts2swell k-wells is infamous around these parts2swell k-wells is infamous around these parts2swell k-wells is infamous around these parts2swell k-wells is infamous around these parts2swell k-wells is infamous around these parts2swell k-wells is infamous around these parts2swell k-wells is infamous around these parts
Bank: 629.64
Total Points: 275,921.09
Default serra-Ìm having my trainers and sparring partners boo me on a regular basis`

UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra knows he isn’t going to be the fan favorite when he steps into the octagon at Bell Centre in Montreal in front of the expected largest crowd in North American mixed martial arts history on Saturday night.

“I’m having my trainers and sparring partners boo me on a regular basis, so I’m getting used to it,” said Serra, who defends the title against hometown hero Georges St. Pierre. “It’s the same cage, it doesn’t matter the city.”

While others are talking about the expected noise level for the main event, Serra is thinking about how quiet the crowd will be if things go as he plans: a knockout or submission win.

But he recognizes they won’t be silent at the start.

“It’s not a problem,” Serra said. “I’m just going to get to feel like Tim Sylvia feels in every city.”

More than 18,000 tickets for UFC 83 were sold through a UFC Fight Club presale, with virtually no tickets made available to the public. Depending on how many new tickets can be sold after the building is set up for television production, the gate could exceed $5 million and end up in second place on the all-time North American list. It is guaranteed the biggest gate outside Las Vegas.

Not only is the largest crowd in UFC history a guarantee, but the expectation, stemming from the nature of sports fans in Montreal and the fact a competitor who lives and trains in the city is challenging for the title, is that it will be the loudest and most enthusiastic crowd in history.

“Montreal has always been a fighting town,” said former champion St. Pierre, 26, who clearly recognizes the possibility of it being a night that goes down in history. “The people love fighting. They love hockey, which is a fighting sport. Boxing has always been popular. Pro wrestling has always been big.”

Over the past few weeks, Serra, 16-4, has been watching DVDs of his favorite movies, “Rocky IV” and “Cinderella Man,” envisioning himself as Rocky Balboa or James Braddock, physically outmanned, having nobody believe you could win, and then scoring the upset of a lifetime.

Except in the Long Island native’s case, it would be two upsets of a lifetime.

“This is like Rocky IV,” said Serra. “I don’t get caught up in the hype, the so-called experts, the Internet; they’re not in there with us. It’s me and Georges. Once that cage shuts, I’m the one in control of my destiny.”

Everything was the same one year ago, except they were in Houston, and St. Pierre was the champion. Many thought he was almost unbeatable. Serra wasn’t even considered a legitimate contender, and most laughed off the idea of the match-up.

Today, well, almost nobody expects him to win. But nobody is laughing at the match.

Serra, 33, got his title shot by beating Chris Lytle in the finals of a tournament on “The Ultimate Fighter” reality show. It promised a title shot to the winner of a tournament of fighters being given a second chance after being dropped from UFC competition. Serra won a decision after a dull fight.

The difference between winning and losing was a $100,000 contract and a title shot vs. $10,000. As someone about to get married and purchase his first home, Serra’s mindset was to not make a mistake and to get his hand raised.

“Chris I consider one of my best friends in the UFC,” said Serra, explaining why it was a mentally difficult fight. “He’s a great person. We spent six weeks in the (Ultimate Fighter) house together. We were main training partners. We had great sparring sessions and we knew each others’ moves.”

St. Pierre, on the other hand, had most recently stopped Matt Hughes, one of the most dominant MMA champions in history, with a kick to the head. A match with Serra, who had previously fought at lightweight, was criticized as being a joke, and Serra was listed as an eight-to-one underdog. He looked tiny in the ring next to St. Pierre. But a minute into the fight, he connected with an overhand right and St. Pierre was stunned.

Serra kept punching, knocking St. Pierre down. St. Pierre thought takedown, and Serra cracked him with a punch that sent him flying before landing. Some 19 punches later on the ground, and it was stopped just as St. Pierre began to tap.

There were two images that defined that night. One was of St. Pierre helpless for the first time in UFC competition. The other was of Matt Hughes, who was going to face the winner, smiling from ear-to-ear like he had just won the lottery because he was getting a title fight with Serra and not St. Pierre.

Serra’s two jiu-jitsu schools on Long Island did great business off his exposure on the reality show. He got married, had a honeymoon, moved into a new house, and went to Las Vegas to coach on the Ultimate Fighter to build to a grudge match with Hughes, all in a few-week period.

But nobody’s luck lasts forever, and in training for the fight with Hughes, he suffered two herniated discs in his lower back and had to bow out of the Hughes fight.

UFC created an interim title, not knowing for sure how quickly Serra would recover. St. Pierre stepped in for him, and like a year earlier, he dismantled Hughes.

“I’m 110 percent,” said Serra after finishing a five-mile run in his final week of hard training. “I feel great.”

“I judge how I’m going to fight by how I’m fighting in the gym, and that’s how I’m going to perform,” he said. “I’ve been fighting three or four times a week with multiple partners who are bigger and stronger. I’ve got some great stuff. What I pull off in sparring I should be able to pull off in a fight.”

Serra notes his strength, heavy hands and a great jiu-jitsu bottom game, stylistically makes him a tough opponent for St. Pierre, whose strengths are great technical stand-up and even better takedowns.

“I’m not saying I’m a better fighter than (Josh) Koscheck (whom St. Pierre beat in August) or Hughes, but I’m a harder match-up for GSP. If he takes me to the floor, he’s got long arms and I’ll latch onto them. If he makes a mistake, I’ll catch him.”

But Serra says he’s completely relaxed, feeling all the pressure is on his opponent.

“The worst thing that can happen for me when the match is over is that after two fights, we end up even.”

source:yahoo sports
2swell k-wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 04-16-2008, 10:18 PM #2
Contender

TBEC2 has a reputation beyond reputeTBEC2 has a reputation beyond reputeTBEC2 has a reputation beyond reputeTBEC2 has a reputation beyond reputeTBEC2 has a reputation beyond reputeTBEC2 has a reputation beyond reputeTBEC2 has a reputation beyond reputeTBEC2 has a reputation beyond reputeTBEC2 has a reputation beyond reputeTBEC2 has a reputation beyond reputeTBEC2 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 26,874.97

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2swell k-wells View Post

“It’s not a problem,” Serra said. “I’m just going to get to feel like Tim Sylvia feels in every city.”

LMFAO!!

but non the less it should be a great fight.
TBEC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:02 PM #3
the lizard of ahs

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
phallus has a reputation beyond reputephallus has a reputation beyond reputephallus has a reputation beyond reputephallus has a reputation beyond reputephallus has a reputation beyond reputephallus has a reputation beyond reputephallus has a reputation beyond reputephallus has a reputation beyond reputephallus has a reputation beyond reputephallus has a reputation beyond reputephallus has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 40,630,380,272,566,747,136.00
Total Points: 40,630,380,272,566,820,864.00
Hermano de leche.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Rimjob All-Star Team - DWiens421 have a drink on me bro. - Melly-Mel Big,thick, black cock in the ass - Mizzou To my long lost brother. - Round 1 
No Message - Dick Valentine Here homey. You need some food - mangler Here's a gift hermano.. - !! AI-Holmes!! top notch poster - BostonGuy eat some cake hermano.. - Round 1 
Happy Holidays phallus.. - !! AI-Holmes!! here's a leftover slice, enjoy! Brooklyn Pizza son!!! - -jose- You know what's up. Real recognize real. #respect - Just Now Hit Me No Message - -jose- 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - _PlaT_NuM_ Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - !! AI-Holmes!! Gay and Lesbian Pride - mangler jr AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Mangler Jewnior 

it'll be a good fight, but don't forget dat GSP as been training arder dan ever before. e will get de knock out on matt serra
phallus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:24 AM #4
Undisputed Champion

Blair_Wells#32 has a reputation beyond reputeBlair_Wells#32 has a reputation beyond reputeBlair_Wells#32 has a reputation beyond reputeBlair_Wells#32 has a reputation beyond reputeBlair_Wells#32 has a reputation beyond reputeBlair_Wells#32 has a reputation beyond reputeBlair_Wells#32 has a reputation beyond reputeBlair_Wells#32 has a reputation beyond reputeBlair_Wells#32 has a reputation beyond reputeBlair_Wells#32 has a reputation beyond reputeBlair_Wells#32 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 90,094.03

i don't know what all this talk about GSP's training is....u all know Matt Serra has been Training his ass off as well,not a shot at u Filth i've just seen that a bunch when it comes 2 GSP Vs Serra Discussions.
Blair_Wells#32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:31 AM #5
Undisputed Champion

2swell k-wells is infamous around these parts2swell k-wells is infamous around these parts2swell k-wells is infamous around these parts2swell k-wells is infamous around these parts2swell k-wells is infamous around these parts2swell k-wells is infamous around these parts2swell k-wells is infamous around these parts2swell k-wells is infamous around these parts2swell k-wells is infamous around these parts2swell k-wells is infamous around these parts2swell k-wells is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair_Wells#32 View Post
i don't know what all this talk about GSP's training is....u all know Matt Serra has been Training his ass off as well,not a shot at u Filth i've just seen that a bunch when it comes 2 GSP Vs Serra Discussions.
we all know serra is training hard bro, its just that gsp is actually training harder now that he is taking this 2nd fight seriously.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:20 AM #6
Undisputed Champion

Sage84 has a reputation beyond reputeSage84 has a reputation beyond reputeSage84 has a reputation beyond reputeSage84 has a reputation beyond reputeSage84 has a reputation beyond reputeSage84 has a reputation beyond reputeSage84 has a reputation beyond reputeSage84 has a reputation beyond reputeSage84 has a reputation beyond reputeSage84 has a reputation beyond reputeSage84 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 546,629,353.67
Total Points: 555,553,746.86

Training and comments by both fighters aside i just think GSP has much more talent and "should" come out on top..

Serra is a decent fighter but an inform and concentrated GSP may just be too much for him...
Sage84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:25 AM #7
Slaughterhouse

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Savino has a reputation beyond reputeSavino has a reputation beyond reputeSavino has a reputation beyond reputeSavino has a reputation beyond reputeSavino has a reputation beyond reputeSavino has a reputation beyond reputeSavino has a reputation beyond reputeSavino has a reputation beyond reputeSavino has a reputation beyond reputeSavino has a reputation beyond reputeSavino has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 301,244,972,739.21
Total Points: 301,244,989,438.04
Here you go! - Breakbeat cheers!!!!!! - -Boxzilla- yo i'm an emillionaire son - -Boxzilla- No Message - LDB15 CHICKEN PIE!!!!!!!!! - LDB15 
No Message - Dory No Message - iBox As promised ;-) - -Blackout- Have a sandwich - ??? Have a latte on me homey - mangler 
Got my MagicJordan payment - As promised. - -Blackout- Some sweets for ya.. - !! AI-Holmes!! to keep ur emillions in son! - -Boxzilla- Something to celebrate with! - _PlaT_NuM_ Updating list - JmtRyan 
Back at Cha! - Izrock A gift for ya.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Have a snack bro - mangler For the big 8000!!! - John-Locke-9-22 Eat up! - ßreakbeat 
Head and Neck Cancer - Hard Dick Gay and Lesbian Pride - _PlaT_NuM_ Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - _PlaT_NuM_ Gay and Lesbian Pride - LDB15 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - supRa 
Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Dory Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - _PlaT_NuM_ AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - !! AI-Holmes!! Gay and Lesbian Pride - _PlaT_NuM_ Head and Neck Cancer - Leakbeak 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - !! AI-Holmes!! Hepatitis C - Breakbeat Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - _PlaT_NuM_ Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - ??? Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - _PlaT_NuM_ 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - ABOSWORTH World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - The Scientist Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - shobox Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - !! AI-Holmes!! Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - mangler 
Send a message via MSN to Savino

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBEC2 View Post
LMFAO!!

but non the less it should be a great fight.
someone should tell serra that the is a huge difference from your team booin you to 20,000 canadians booin ya.
Savino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:50 PM #8
Undisputed Champion

Just got through watching the news press conference, it really does seem like Rocky 4
Image View Removed. For more information, please contact our forum admins by clicking here.
I wonder if they will have the Prime Minister and Wayne Gretsky watching?:s
Image View Removed. For more information, please contact our forum admins by clicking here.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:27 PM #9
Undisputed Champion

Blair_Wells#32 has a reputation beyond reputeBlair_Wells#32 has a reputation beyond reputeBlair_Wells#32 has a reputation beyond reputeBlair_Wells#32 has a reputation beyond reputeBlair_Wells#32 has a reputation beyond reputeBlair_Wells#32 has a reputation beyond reputeBlair_Wells#32 has a reputation beyond reputeBlair_Wells#32 has a reputation beyond reputeBlair_Wells#32 has a reputation beyond reputeBlair_Wells#32 has a reputation beyond reputeBlair_Wells#32 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 90,094.03

woulda been perfect if GSP had beat up Pete Sell or Arroyo 2 get 2 Serra, then you'd have your movie set up b4 the fight in Canada.
Blair_Wells#32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:31 PM #10
Interim Champion

vinnie7731 has a reputation beyond reputevinnie7731 has a reputation beyond reputevinnie7731 has a reputation beyond reputevinnie7731 has a reputation beyond reputevinnie7731 has a reputation beyond reputevinnie7731 has a reputation beyond reputevinnie7731 has a reputation beyond reputevinnie7731 has a reputation beyond reputevinnie7731 has a reputation beyond reputevinnie7731 has a reputation beyond reputevinnie7731 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 39,958.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2swell k-wells View Post
we all know serra is training hard bro, its just that gsp is actually training harder now that he is taking this 2nd fight seriously.
oh thats right gsp didnt take the first fight seriously???
do you really believe that??
vinnie7731 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

User Tag List