Bench press v. speed - Boxing Forum
Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 03-04-2008, 09:50 PM #1
Contender

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sweet*science will become famous soon enoughsweet*science will become famous soon enough
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 11,975.12
Send a message via AIM to sweet*science Send a message via Yahoo to sweet*science
Default Bench press v. speed

What's up guys?

I have been boxing for roughly six months. Before boxing I stayed in the gym and lifted heavily basically trying to bulk up. I stand at 5'9'' and fluctuate in weight between 166 and 170. I was maxing out on the bench at 205. My question is if I continue to lift heavily will it affect my hand speed? I want to have a more developed upper body but I am not sure if heavy lifting will benefit me in terms of a more developed frame while maintaining hand speed. What do you guys think?

Thanks
sweet*science is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 03-04-2008, 11:52 PM #2
Amateur

mamoroso04 is just really nicemamoroso04 is just really nicemamoroso04 is just really nicemamoroso04 is just really nice
Total Points: 21,850.09
Send a message via AIM to mamoroso04

If you make the positive portion of your reps explosive and quick, and continue to do other speed training methods, I don't think it will slow you down at all. Before I started boxing I was a powerlifter and I don't feel that bench pressing had any effect on my hand speed.
mamoroso04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:00 AM #3
Contender

sweet*science will become famous soon enoughsweet*science will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to sweet*science Send a message via Yahoo to sweet*science

Thanks for the input mamoroso04. Before boxing I was just running and working out. So, I can say that the difference between my speed then versus now is at an significant amount but id say that is more due to the fact that I have been training and know how to throw a punch.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:09 AM #4
Contender

giantsbran1227 is on a distinguished road
Bank: 820.67
Total Points: 59,247.06
Send a message via AIM to giantsbran1227 Send a message via MSN to giantsbran1227 Send a message via Yahoo to giantsbran1227

Dont listen to him. It is not good to lift heavy as a boxer. If you want to lift then do small weights, high reps. Also do medicine ball, and plyometrics to improve hand speed.
giantsbran1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:31 AM #5
Undisputed Champion

danny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 323,330.99
Total Points: 450,034.79

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsbran1227 View Post
Dont listen to him. It is not good to lift heavy as a boxer. If you want to lift then do small weights, high reps. Also do medicine ball, and plyometrics to improve hand speed.
this is an age old quesion I dont think anyone here is qualified to answer it. I was a heavy weightlifter for all my life and got into boxing late. I hit harder than most guys doing it since they were a kid. My buddy mikey the same deal. Now, are we just naturally "hard" hitters or is it cuz we have very dense muscle fibers. I no longer bench very heavy but do keep a weight regimen. I think this is an individualized question.
danny stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:29 PM #6
UFC Maniac

SerbianKO has a reputation beyond reputeSerbianKO has a reputation beyond reputeSerbianKO has a reputation beyond reputeSerbianKO has a reputation beyond reputeSerbianKO has a reputation beyond reputeSerbianKO has a reputation beyond reputeSerbianKO has a reputation beyond reputeSerbianKO has a reputation beyond reputeSerbianKO has a reputation beyond reputeSerbianKO has a reputation beyond reputeSerbianKO has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 24,680.48
Total Points: 335,456.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet*science View Post
What's up guys?

I have been boxing for roughly six months. Before boxing I stayed in the gym and lifted heavily basically trying to bulk up. I stand at 5'9'' and fluctuate in weight between 166 and 170. I was maxing out on the bench at 205. My question is if I continue to lift heavily will it affect my hand speed? I want to have a more developed upper body but I am not sure if heavy lifting will benefit me in terms of a more developed frame while maintaining hand speed. What do you guys think?

Thanks
don't worry, do bench press it will give your punches power, but it will not take your speed away if you still to speed exercises... i'm 181cm 85kg bench press 125kg max and still fast as a mother****er.. pwnage
SerbianKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:03 PM #7
Undisputed Champion

kryo has a reputation beyond reputekryo has a reputation beyond reputekryo has a reputation beyond reputekryo has a reputation beyond reputekryo has a reputation beyond reputekryo has a reputation beyond reputekryo has a reputation beyond reputekryo has a reputation beyond reputekryo has a reputation beyond reputekryo has a reputation beyond reputekryo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 558,364.97
Total Points: 591,665.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianKO View Post
don't worry, do bench press it will give your punches power, but it will not take your speed away if you still to speed exercises... i'm 181cm 85kg bench press 125kg max and still fast as a mother****er.. pwnage
Based off of your shadow boxing video it seems like you don't even know how to box, let alone be "fast as a mother****er".
kryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:37 PM #8
Contender

Well thanks guys, It sounds like it is trial and error for me. Thank you all for the input.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:52 PM #9
Contender

VBoxer has a spectacular aura aboutVBoxer has a spectacular aura about
Bank: 5,220.44
Total Points: 41,406.26

another good thing to do is pyramid your sets: do reps as in 15, 10, 5, 10, 15 or vice versa. thats has helped me alot. builds a lot of strength.
VBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:22 PM #10
Up and Comer

Rob Pilger has a reputation beyond reputeRob Pilger has a reputation beyond reputeRob Pilger has a reputation beyond reputeRob Pilger has a reputation beyond reputeRob Pilger has a reputation beyond reputeRob Pilger has a reputation beyond reputeRob Pilger has a reputation beyond reputeRob Pilger has a reputation beyond reputeRob Pilger has a reputation beyond reputeRob Pilger has a reputation beyond reputeRob Pilger has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,299.21

Sweet Science don't waste your time with light weights and high reps.. I really can't believe people think this is the way to lift. Hilarious!!

If you JUST lift heavy weights without improving RFD, speed, you can become slower. BUT performing true plyometrics will increase speed/power, RFD.

Even performing speed strength reps with the bench press won't make you as fast as plyometrics training because you decelerate with the bar at the end of the speed bench movement, to prevent this add bands, or chains to the barbell and you don't decelerate.

The bench press is just a general exercise. Strengthen your core in rotation, strengthen your lats, and legs to develop fight ending power.

Again, don't perform light weight with high reps, you won't get faster or more powerful this way, you get that type of muscle endurance training with your bag and mitt work.

Lift heavy weights to build base strength, then perform plyometrics to become frighteningly fast and powerful! Just hope that your competition is lifting with light weight and high reps, cause kicking their asses will be cake! :-)

Rob Pilger
http://www.boxingperformance.com
http://www.theultimateboxingworkout.com/fighters.html

Last edited by Rob Pilger; 03-05-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Rob Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

User Tag List