Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 01-25-2008, 03:16 PM
RichCCFC
46-0

Rep Power: 36 RichCCFC has a reputation beyond reputeRichCCFC has a reputation beyond reputeRichCCFC has a reputation beyond reputeRichCCFC has a reputation beyond reputeRichCCFC has a reputation beyond reputeRichCCFC has a reputation beyond reputeRichCCFC has a reputation beyond reputeRichCCFC has a reputation beyond reputeRichCCFC has a reputation beyond reputeRichCCFC has a reputation beyond reputeRichCCFC has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 32,849,024,620,032.20
Total Points: 32,855,025,171,816.94
ricktastic! - mickey gomez Joe Calzaghe is a great fighter! - Tunney This is Joe Calzaghe. You left this in my ass last night. I washed it good and wanted to give it back to you. - Mizzou Joe Calzaghe - Tunney bluebirds! - Sir TomJones 
Merry Christmas - Flab Happy New Year - Freedom. 
Default How to box someone a lot faster than you?

I've gone to a new gym and begain sparring in my first session but the guy I spar is a hell of a lot faster than me and every time I tryed to set my body to make a shot I was having 4-5 punches on my face.

On a side note I also didn't have any headguard,gumsheild or belt while he did. Should I complain about that?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Kayo
Walk's On Water

Rep Power: 1218 Kayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,024,423.45
Total Points: 1,124,864.88

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ricky_ View Post
I've gone to a new gym and begain sparring in my first session but the guy I spar is a hell of a lot faster than me and every time I tryed to set my body to make a shot I was having 4-5 punches on my face.

On a side note I also didn't have any headguard,gumsheild or belt while he did. Should I complain about that?
you have to be retarded to spar without a mouthguard thats as stupid as Roshambo. Complaining gets you nowhere that was your own fault. The best thing to offset speed is timing. If this was your first spar you were probobly thinking way to much about when to punch and where. If the person your up against is way faster than you keep your guard up and counter
Old 01-25-2008, 04:21 PM
dfwtx
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 dfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond reputedfwtx has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 558,916.94
Total Points: 586,589.67

im guessing you walked in there like you were the ****, otherwise i dont know why a trainer would put in a complete novice with no protection with a much better fighter, anyways stick to countering and get yourself a mouthguard and wear headgear (which they should have at your gym)
Old 01-25-2008, 06:32 PM
JC Warrior
Contender

Rep Power: 7 JC Warrior is a jewel in the roughJC Warrior is a jewel in the roughJC Warrior is a jewel in the rough
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 6,069.17

Kayo called it right on the money; that's your own fault for getting in there and being unsafe. I hope you didn't get any hideious oral lacerations, those are a ***** to recover from and almost never fully heal.

As far as beating someone way faster see tape of Vernon Forrest vs Shane Mosely. Jab towards the chin and lead shoulder. Nothing is especially effective vs a fighter light years faster than you but trying to parry more than block is very useful for disrupting a quicker guys hands.

You may have to take a few shots to get the timing down but once you knock even one of his punches down you've got a punch-me-clown standing in front of you. Parrying a guys hands down / out takes some getting used to but when you do it, especially if its the lead hand you're going to have all day long and your opponents speed will become hesitation.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:14 PM
aussieboxer2320
Banned

Rep Power: 0 aussieboxer2320 has a reputation beyond reputeaussieboxer2320 has a reputation beyond reputeaussieboxer2320 has a reputation beyond reputeaussieboxer2320 has a reputation beyond reputeaussieboxer2320 has a reputation beyond reputeaussieboxer2320 has a reputation beyond reputeaussieboxer2320 has a reputation beyond reputeaussieboxer2320 has a reputation beyond reputeaussieboxer2320 has a reputation beyond reputeaussieboxer2320 has a reputation beyond reputeaussieboxer2320 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 57,487.98

first of all why the hell were u sparring without a mouthguard???? sometimes sparring without headgear is ok, although you shoud to get used to it for amateur comps, but sparring without a mouthguard is dumb no offence, anyways with a fast guy work on keeping your hands high and having a neat, tight guard, and dont wait for him to hit you , otherwise you'll get completely schooled, everytime he comes in punching range throw 2 or 3 quality punches, stay in the middle of the ring, make him work around you and fend him off with a well timed, stiff jab, if you see an oppurtunity, quickly close in and push him onto the backfoot with a few powershots, but dont follow it up all the time, as he can simply dart of the way and gain the position in the middle of the ring- ive sed 2 much lol good luck
Old 01-26-2008, 12:58 AM
potatoes
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 12 potatoes has a reputation beyond reputepotatoes has a reputation beyond reputepotatoes has a reputation beyond reputepotatoes has a reputation beyond reputepotatoes has a reputation beyond reputepotatoes has a reputation beyond reputepotatoes has a reputation beyond reputepotatoes has a reputation beyond reputepotatoes has a reputation beyond reputepotatoes has a reputation beyond reputepotatoes has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 150,857.74
Total Points: 180,381.66

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ricky_ View Post

What is the use of complaining? If the head trainer was reckless enough to allow such an obscene spectacle to happen he is unlikely to take your complaints seriously. What you need to do is go to another gym where they take training more seriously. Boxing is a dangerous sport, and you could have been seriously injured.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:04 AM
FIGHTING_FLIP
"BAD NEWS"

Rep Power: 14 FIGHTING_FLIP has a reputation beyond reputeFIGHTING_FLIP has a reputation beyond reputeFIGHTING_FLIP has a reputation beyond reputeFIGHTING_FLIP has a reputation beyond reputeFIGHTING_FLIP has a reputation beyond reputeFIGHTING_FLIP has a reputation beyond reputeFIGHTING_FLIP has a reputation beyond reputeFIGHTING_FLIP has a reputation beyond reputeFIGHTING_FLIP has a reputation beyond reputeFIGHTING_FLIP has a reputation beyond reputeFIGHTING_FLIP has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 324,262.90

mix up the attack.stock him and cut off the ring.be calm!dont let his speed intimidate you.DOUBLE JAB.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Kayo
Walk's On Water

Rep Power: 1218 Kayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond reputeKayo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,024,423.45
Total Points: 1,124,864.88

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoes View Post
What is the use of complaining? If the head trainer was reckless enough to allow such an obscene spectacle to happen he is unlikely to take your complaints seriously. What you need to do is go to another gym where they take training more seriously. Boxing is a dangerous sport, and you could have been seriously injured.
Exactly, my trainer would never let someone spar without a mouthguard and he advises headgear
Old 01-26-2008, 01:51 PM
West24
Contender

Rep Power: 7 West24 is just really niceWest24 is just really niceWest24 is just really niceWest24 is just really nice
Total Points: 4,536.42

in my gym you cant even spar if you dont have a moutguard. my coach will tell the story of how someone was sparring without a mouthguard, got punched, and teeth went right through his gums. i dont thin you want that.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:38 PM
RichCCFC
46-0

Rep Power: 36 RichCCFC has a reputation beyond reputeRichCCFC has a reputation beyond reputeRichCCFC has a reputation beyond reputeRichCCFC has a reputation beyond reputeRichCCFC has a reputation beyond reputeRichCCFC has a reputation beyond reputeRichCCFC has a reputation beyond reputeRichCCFC has a reputation beyond reputeRichCCFC has a reputation beyond reputeRichCCFC has a reputation beyond reputeRichCCFC has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 32,849,024,620,032.20
Total Points: 32,855,025,171,816.94
ricktastic! - mickey gomez Joe Calzaghe is a great fighter! - Tunney This is Joe Calzaghe. You left this in my ass last night. I washed it good and wanted to give it back to you. - Mizzou Joe Calzaghe - Tunney bluebirds! - Sir TomJones 
Merry Christmas - Flab Happy New Year - Freedom. 

Lol, well it is Wales

Thanks for the tips anyway I'm definatly taking a mouthpiece next time I go but I'll miss the headguard, for now.