Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 01-19-2008, 11:26 PM
bedHead
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 0 bedHead will become famous soon enoughbedHead will become famous soon enough
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 21,261.75
Default Strong legs

Well after two months of no lifting and just body weight exercises and running, I hit the weights again yesterday. I did some squats, and lost a lot, and I mean A LOT of strength on my thighs quads and lower back... It really sucks. My legs look way skinnier than they did back then, but I didn't think it was going to make that much of a difference since I don't think boxers are known for having huge legs, yet there's gotta be a lot of power there in order to generate power for the punch.

Not only are my legs trashed, but I couldn't raise nearly as much weight as I used to (and it didn't take me too long to build up to that point, but it took like 3 months of no running and just lifting. After that, I preserved the strength fine in the beginning, when I was running 3 miles 5 times a week but was able to do squats and deads once a week. Then I couldn't go to my usual gym, but kept running the 3 miles and improving my time, and now I'm kinda weak) What type of exercises without weights do boxers do to strengthen their legs? I wondering, since I plan on going to a boxing gym instead of usual gym (it's either boxing or lifting, don't have much time for both unless I'm told I should keep lifting by a coach or something) from next week on, but I had also originally planned on having better endurance but good strength (my endurance did get better, but I lost strength. Worst part is that the loss was preventable) for when I started.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-21-2008, 02:57 AM
lilrip133
Up and Comer

Total Points: 3,970.43

sometimes i do non-weighted negative squats. burst up from the squat position then during the downward portion of the squat you do for a 4 count. ill do this for 50 reps 3 sets when i do do it.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Detroit101
Contender

Rep Power: 7 Detroit101 has a reputation beyond reputeDetroit101 has a reputation beyond reputeDetroit101 has a reputation beyond reputeDetroit101 has a reputation beyond reputeDetroit101 has a reputation beyond reputeDetroit101 has a reputation beyond reputeDetroit101 has a reputation beyond reputeDetroit101 has a reputation beyond reputeDetroit101 has a reputation beyond reputeDetroit101 has a reputation beyond reputeDetroit101 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 7,001.21
Total Points: 35,625.57

I wouldnt worry about regaining strength....it fades pretty quick..but it also comes back pretty quick...a couple of weeks you should be right back to where you were....Is that right PUNCHDRUNK???????????
Old 01-21-2008, 05:57 PM
bedHead
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 0 bedHead will become famous soon enoughbedHead will become famous soon enough
Total Points: 21,261.75

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrip133 View Post
sometimes i do non-weighted negative squats. burst up from the squat position then during the downward portion of the squat you do for a 4 count. ill do this for 50 reps 3 sets when i do do it.
That sounds like a good exercise. I also had my eye on these:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson80.htm
Dunno how popular these are, or how good they'll be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit101 View Post
I wouldnt worry about regaining strength....it fades pretty quick..but it also comes back pretty quick...a couple of weeks you should be right back to where you were....Is that right PUNCHDRUNK???????????
Well, I think I'm going to have to lose weight anyway, cause I'm about 180 lbs (and 6'1"). Think that weight is too high, but I'm not sure what weight category I'd belong to... The reason I was happy doing heavy squats and deadlifts was because it was making my neck grow thicker, since I don't have a very thick neck by nature, I thought that'd help.