Quad Cramps - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Thread Navigation

Old 01-11-2008, 07:25 PM
sukhenkoy
Mother Russia

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 11 sukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,000,059,194.75
Send a message via ICQ to sukhenkoy Send a message via Skype™ to sukhenkoy
Default Quad Cramps

Had my first training sessions tonight. Challenging, but rewarding. Can't wait to hit the bags!

Anyway, after about 5-10 minutes of jump rope - right after I was done, my quads began to cramp up. I stretched them out and did some ab exercises that involved leg raises, and they continued to cramp up on and off.

So my question is what I can do to prevent these cramps? How much water should I be drinking (I am 5 foot 9 and weigh 155 pounds)? Anything besides bananas and potassium tablets?

I won't let these cramps stop me from boxing, but it just sucks to not be able to do the exercises to the fullest of my ability.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-11-2008, 07:35 PM
danny stash
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 20 danny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 323,330.99
Total Points: 447,157.79

welcome to boxing, thier will always be something hurting...

IMO
Old 01-11-2008, 07:38 PM
sukhenkoy
Mother Russia

Rep Power: 11 sukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond repute

True that. Guess I'll just drink more water and stretch more. Thanks, danny.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:40 PM
fraidycat
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 22 fraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 186,226.01

You need to stretch your quads. Actually, you need to stretch everything. Google "quadriceps stretch" and you should get some exercises.

Water will help. Drink until you're not thirsty. Drink throughout your workout. I take a gallon of water with me to a 90-minute workout and I'm usually halfway through the gallon, or more, by the end. I weigh 165-170.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:43 PM
sukhenkoy
Mother Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraidycat View Post
You need to stretch your quads. Actually, you need to stretch everything. Google "quadriceps stretch" and you should get some exercises.

Water will help. Drink until you're not thirsty. Drink throughout your workout. I take a gallon of water with me to a 90-minute workout and I'm usually halfway through the gallon, or more, by the end. I weigh 165-170.
OK, thank you fraidycat. I did some stretching before I went to the gym, but at this rate, I'm thinking I need to do about 5-6 sets of stretching exercises a day.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:13 PM
danny stash
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 20 danny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond reputedanny stash has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 323,330.99
Total Points: 447,157.79

you stretch it out for sure but all i am saying that pain is something that goes hand and hand with this sport. Wait til you start hitting the bag for an hour...

muahahha

Its all good dude, great sport!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:52 PM
sukhenkoy
Mother Russia

Definitely. After tonight, my respect for the sport and for all boxers has gone up ten fold. Most intense, demanding, and yet the most rewarding sport out there. Shame I didn't start sooner...
Old 01-12-2008, 02:48 AM
lilrip133
Up and Comer

Total Points: 5,369.43

i know this sounds crazy, but cramps are caused by an inbalance of water and sodium in the body, meaning that if you have too much water and not enough salt, you could still be getting cramps. one thing the athletic trainers do at my school is give a pack of mustard or a little bit of pickle juice. water is good, but if your drinking a lot of water and still having those cramps it may be a lack of salt in your diet thats causing the cramps.

and stretching is always good. also, with icing the quads, make sure that your knee is bent, and not straight or close to straight, or the icing will be counterproductive and make it stiffer

Share This With Friends

User Tag List