Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 04-10-2003, 09:10 AM
The Jake
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 23 The Jake has a reputation beyond reputeThe Jake has a reputation beyond reputeThe Jake has a reputation beyond reputeThe Jake has a reputation beyond reputeThe Jake has a reputation beyond reputeThe Jake has a reputation beyond reputeThe Jake has a reputation beyond reputeThe Jake has a reputation beyond reputeThe Jake has a reputation beyond reputeThe Jake has a reputation beyond reputeThe Jake has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 148,949.00
Send a message via ICQ to The Jake Send a message via AIM to The Jake Send a message via Yahoo to The Jake
Question Need help with my new training program

Not pertinent to OT exactly, I know, but I'd like to draw to your attention (at least, those of you who lift) to take a look over my current program. So take a look here.

Basically my training program is 3 days light (50% of the usual, 12-20 reps for endurance), 2 days off, 1 day heavy (95-100% of my max to maintain my strength). This program has given me REAL gains so far. I've not only gained size, my lifts have gone up dramatically.

End of this month marks two months on this program and I will take a two week break to let the body recover before I launch back into a new program. So I'm curious as to what you guys think I should do next.

I'm thinking of either returning to this program, or cutting back to focus on 3 days a week of weights and on those 3 days, keep it all heavy. Something like:

Sun:
Bench 6 sets x 3-5 reps
Squat 6 sets x 3-5 reps

Tues:
Military Press
Barbel Curls
Close Grip Bench
Calves

Thurs:
Deadlifts 6 sets x 3-5 reps
Hyperextensions
Hamstrings

Basically do bench and squat on the mondays , keep deadlifts at the end of the week and maybe juggle the other exercises around to accomodate the big three?

This is still in the early stages of planning btw. I'd like to cut down the number of days doing weights, keep it focused and clear up my timetable so I can do more cardio and martial arts for when I go back to LA.

Any thoughts/feedback would be appreciated.

- The Jake
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 04-10-2003, 06:03 PM
Tom
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 18 Tom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 56,189.00

with that routine it looks as tho you are trying to gain strength..if you are going for a strength routine you should keep the sets between 2-3 and have reps of 6, when you can do 6 on the last set, increase weight, then 1 day a month go for oyur new max and keep on going
Old 04-10-2003, 06:07 PM
Zen
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 0 Zen is infamous around these partsZen is infamous around these partsZen is infamous around these partsZen is infamous around these partsZen is infamous around these partsZen is infamous around these partsZen is infamous around these partsZen is infamous around these partsZen is infamous around these partsZen is infamous around these partsZen is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 160,631.00
Send a message via AIM to Zen

Are you not into working out 1 or 2 body parts per workout? Your alot bigger than me, so I'm not really questioning, just asking. I always thought to gain mass and strength it was best to work certain body parts each day.
Example
Monday-
Chest
Biceps

Wednesday-
Legs
Shoulders

Saturday-
Back
Biceps
Old 04-10-2003, 06:09 PM
Tom
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 18 Tom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 56,189.00

It looks as tho he is not trying to gain size, but strength, so i would do a little more than what he is doing but keep the sets and reps low
Old 04-10-2003, 07:42 PM
The Jake
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 23 The Jake has a reputation beyond reputeThe Jake has a reputation beyond reputeThe Jake has a reputation beyond reputeThe Jake has a reputation beyond reputeThe Jake has a reputation beyond reputeThe Jake has a reputation beyond reputeThe Jake has a reputation beyond reputeThe Jake has a reputation beyond reputeThe Jake has a reputation beyond reputeThe Jake has a reputation beyond reputeThe Jake has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to The Jake Send a message via AIM to The Jake Send a message via Yahoo to The Jake

I'm very happy with size atm.

I just want da POWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

- The Jake
Old 04-10-2003, 08:29 PM
seldomTap
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 26 seldomTap has a reputation beyond reputeseldomTap has a reputation beyond reputeseldomTap has a reputation beyond reputeseldomTap has a reputation beyond reputeseldomTap has a reputation beyond reputeseldomTap has a reputation beyond reputeseldomTap has a reputation beyond reputeseldomTap has a reputation beyond reputeseldomTap has a reputation beyond reputeseldomTap has a reputation beyond reputeseldomTap has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 113,052.00

You have made excellent gains lately mate...you can gain more now by adopting a programme similar to what you have mentioned.
Old 04-12-2003, 09:20 AM
The Jake
Undisputed Champion

Its all confused by the fact
a) I don't know what my goal should be
b) I like my current program and wondering if there is much of a need to change?

When I go back I will be focusing primarily on grappling/BJJ so raw power is more important there than it is, say, in kickboxing.

So I was thinking focus on power but keep the number of days of weights down to minimise wear and tear on the joints and ligaments (which is why I only do one day heavy on my current program -- to keep the tendonitis away, and it's working).

- The Jake