Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 08-17-2011, 05:23 PM
fitefanSHO
KO Digest

Rep Power: 6 fitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,089,888.96
Thread, it very good - McGoorty Apologies for negging you before. You're a good poster and an asset to the forums. - It's Ovah great thread man--rock of ages - McGoorty Cheers for the help, shame i couldnt get u a real pint! - The Surgeon 
Default KO Magazine

So sad it no longer exists, KO was probably my favorite of the mags, even though I always knew Ring was usually of a higher quality, I loved KO magazine and all the features. That magazine and their sister magazines WERE boxing to me. Anyone remember how awesome that magazine was? I wish somebody could bring it back. How I miss the days when the new KO came out.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 08-18-2011, 08:02 AM
jabsRstiff
! ! ! !

Rep Power: 4031 jabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 123,155,625,418.64
Total Points: 123,155,633,024.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitefanSHO View Post
So sad it no longer exists, KO was probably my favorite of the mags, even though I always knew Ring was usually of a higher quality, I loved KO magazine and all the features. That magazine and their sister magazines WERE boxing to me. Anyone remember how awesome that magazine was? I wish somebody could bring it back. How I miss the days when the new KO came out.

We've already discussed this to an extent.

I kid you not, those magazines are the first things I think of when I remember being a kid.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:15 AM
fitefanSHO
KO Digest

Rep Power: 6 fitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond repute
Thread, it very good - McGoorty Apologies for negging you before. You're a good poster and an asset to the forums. - It's Ovah great thread man--rock of ages - McGoorty Cheers for the help, shame i couldnt get u a real pint! - The Surgeon 

Oh, well I'm always ready to talk more about the magazines, in this case KO. The great covers, the stories, the cool features, the anticipation of a new issue. The year end awards issue! Man, those were the days and I thought they'd never end. One of my favorite things about the IBHOF induction weekend is the boxing memorabilia show where you can buy back issues of KO and other magazines for like a buck each.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:31 AM
jabsRstiff
! ! ! !

Rep Power: 4031 jabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh, well I'm always ready to talk more about the magazines, in this case KO. The great covers, the stories, the cool features, the anticipation of a new issue. The year end awards issue! Man, those were the days and I thought they'd never end. One of my favorite things about the IBHOF induction weekend is the boxing memorabilia show where you can buy back issues of KO and other magazines for like a buck each.
The year-end awards was hard to top...except for when they had the lb4lb best fighter poll. A few experts would list their top ten, and then reason why they picked their #1. Then they'd tabulate the lists and come up with the conscensus choice.

That was back when lb4lb wasn't such a constant talking point...which made it all the more special.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:35 AM
fitefanSHO
KO Digest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsRstiff View Post
The year-end awards was hard to top...except for when they had the lb4lb best fighter poll. A few experts would list their top ten, and then reason why they picked their #1. Then they'd tabulate the lists and come up with the conscensus choice.

That was back when lb4lb wasn't such a constant talking point...which made it all the more special.
I model my boxing blog, KO Digest, after what I liked most about the magazine coverage of the sport back in the day and I will be doing very similar year end awards in December and also the P4P listing, so if any of you experts want to contribute, I'd love to post your lists and simulate what KO did, with points assigned etc and come up with a consensus top p4p fighter and the rest of the top 10.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:47 AM
McGoorty
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 9 McGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,050,460,892.34
To a pal who I also respect a lot! - Terry A Old timer expert with great emoticon use. - Barnburner missed you around - McGoorty Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah 
Top poster - Toney616 No Message - rorymac It's your honorary Warriors fan badge..wear it with pride! KA MATE!!!! - Jeff Da Maori Good thread - rorymac cheers!  eat your fish!  tasty and healthy! - uglypug 

Quote:
I model my boxing blog, KO Digest, after what I liked most about the magazine coverage of the sport back in the day and I will be doing very similar year end awards in December and also the P4P listing, so if any of you experts want to contribute, I'd love to post your lists and simulate what KO did, with points assigned etc and come up with a consensus top p4p fighter and the rest of the top 10.
Sounds good mate, I'll see if I can find that blog....... I think I still have 1 or 2 KO magazines somewhere so I'll try and find them too. We may find some good stuff in them, I had one with a good article on Jeff Fenech.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:49 AM
fitefanSHO
KO Digest

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGoorty View Post
Sounds good mate, I'll see if I can find that blog....... I think I still have 1 or 2 KO magazines somewhere so I'll try and find them too. We may find some good stuff in them, I had one with a good article on Jeff Fenech.
My blog is linked in my sig line...
Old 08-18-2011, 09:59 AM
jabsRstiff
! ! ! !

Quote:
My blog is linked in my sig line...
I had two ldifferent letters to the editor published in KO magazine.

Both were in the beginning of 1990. Pretty damn exciting when I got that first issue and saw it!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:14 AM
fitefanSHO
KO Digest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsRstiff View Post
I had two ldifferent letters to the editor published in KO magazine.

Both were in the beginning of 1990. Pretty damn exciting when I got that first issue and saw it!
Scan and post! What issues? What was the topic?

And hey McGoorty, if you look closely at my blog, you'll see I even mention you in there.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:24 AM
jabsRstiff
! ! ! !

I only remember details about the first one...It was at the very beginning of 1990, and had Evander Holyfield vs Alex Stewart I on the cover.

I wrote a letter covering Julian Jackson's power (he had been a recent centerfold), and a recent (at the time) claim by Jeff Ryan that Jeff Fenech was a highly overrated fighter about to get slaughtered- which I went off on a bit.

My recollection of the other one is hazier, but it covered how certain fighters were never seen on network TV who should have been. I mostly focused on how Jorge Paez had a contract on NBC, while the highly superirr Antonio Esparragoza had never been, but needed to be, on network television.