|03-17-2003, 01:48 AM||#1|
Recipes for better health
Breakfast - Banana Soy Milkshake with Toast:
1) In a blender put 1 banana, 1/2 cup light vanilla soy milk, 1/2 cup orange juice. 2 Slices whole-grain toast with fat free margarine. And there you go. A quick BF.
359 Cal,5% Fat,83% Carb(75.5g),12%prot(11g),9g Fiber,382mg Calcium.
Lunch - Soy BLT:
1) 4 slices soy bacon (Lightlife Smart Bacon is good), 2 slices of Whole-grain bread, 2 Teaspoons soy mayonnaise, some Romaine lettuce, 2-3 slices of tomato. Make your sandwich and enjoy.
377 Cal,23% Fat,60% Carb(57g),17%prot(16g),7g Fiber,121mg Calcium.
Snack - Creamy Fruit Salad:
1) Toss together 1/2 cup each cubed Honeydew melon, Orange wedges and red grapes (or whatever you like best) 1/2 cup lowfat vanilla soy yogurt. It's one of my fav things to eat and it's quick.
224 Cal,8%fat,81% Carb(45.5g),11% Prot(6g),3g Fiber,247mg Calcium.
So there you have it. Try it and let me know how you like it.
|03-17-2003, 01:50 AM||#2|
from The Jake
CREAMY SCRAMBLED EGGS
I eat these a lot.
To make these, you will need:
half a dozen eggs,
a tub of low fat cottage cheese.
Take out the yolk of all but two (takes practise and can be messy let me tell ya!) and mix into a bowl with two heaped tablespoons of low fat cottage cheese.
Mix real well. Cook in a frying pan and mix regularly for about 3min. Drain any oil out.
Serve with a couple of pieces of wholemeal toast and you have a nutritious start for the day, packed in protein. This have about 12grams of fat, over 30grams of protein and about 40grams of carbs per piece of bread.
The cottage cheese gives it a real creamy flavor.
- The Jake
|03-17-2003, 01:51 AM||#3|
Here's something for Dinner ---
Spicy Vegetable Stir-Fry
1/4 cup fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp orange juice
1 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 Tsp cornstarch
1 1/2 Tsp grated fresh ginger
1 1/2 minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
1/8 Tsp crushed red-pepper flakes
1 1/2 cup sm cauliflower florets
1 cup julienned carrots
8 Oz zucchini, halfed and thinly sliced
1. In a small bowl, stir together the broth, orange juice, soy sauce, and cornstarch. Set the broth mixture aside.
2. Lightly coat an unheated wok or large skillet with nonstick spray. Heat the wok over medium-high heat. Add the ginger, garlic, and red-pepper flakes. Stir-fry about 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
3. Add the cauliflower and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Then add the carrots and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Finally, add the zucchini and stir-fry for 2 minutes longer.
4. Stir in the broth mixture. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 1 minute, or until the vegetables are crisp and tender and the sauce turns glossy and thickens. Serve immediately.
Makes about 4 servings
Per serving: 34 cal, 1 g fat, 9 mg chol, 2.7 g fiber, 185 mg sodium.
Hope you like it.
|03-17-2003, 01:55 AM||#4|
Tuscan Tuna Salad
2 cans (16 oz each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 can (12 oz) solid-pack white albacore tuna in water, drained and flaked
1/2 med red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 c chopped fresh basil
1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Combine the beans and oil in a large bowl and mix well. Add all the remaining ingredients; mix well.
Makes 4 servings
Per serving 309 cal, 6 g fat, 15 mg chol, 13 g fiber, 1,091 mg sodium
|03-17-2003, 01:56 AM||#5|
4 all the Tuna fans out there...
Pinto Bean Salad with Tuna
Combine in a bowl
15-ounce can pinto beans (rinsed and drained)
8-ounce can cut green beans (rinsed and drained)
6-ounce can tuna (drained)
2 tablespoons minced roasted red peppers (from 7 ounce jar)
1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
Makes about 2 servings
|03-17-2003, 01:57 AM||#6|
So here is my mom's recipe for Tuna Salad or Sandwiches.
2 or 3 6oz cans Tuna
1 tablespoon dried minced onion or 2-3 green onions diced small
1/2 cup celery, diced small
2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
2-3 boiled eggs (if you want)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt and pepper to your taste
About 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon mustard
Mix in a bowl
Eat by it's self or put it on two pieces of bread.
Hope you like it.
|03-17-2003, 02:04 AM||#7|
Here is an Egg recipe...
Country Egg Scramble
1 pound new red potatoes (6-7), cut into cubes
6 large eggs (U can take out 2-3 of the Yolks and make it a bit better 4 U)
1/3 cup milk (U can also use Soy milk)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons margarine or butter
1/2 cup sliced green onions
8 slices bacon, crispy cooked and crumbled (U don't really need this so U can take it out completely or use Soy bacon)
1. Heat 1 inch water to boiling in 2 quart saucepan. Add potatoes. Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat to med-low. Cover and cook 6-8 min or until they are tender; drain.
2. Beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper with fork until a uniform color.
3. Melt margarine in 10 inch skillet over med-high heat. Cook potatoes in margarine 3 to 5 min, turning potatoes occasionally, until light brown. Stir in onions. Cook 1 min, stirring constantly.
4. Pour egg mixture into skillet. As mixture begins to set at bottom and side, gently lift cooked portions with a spatula so that thin, uncooked can flow to bottom. Avoid constant stirring. Cook 3 to 4 min or until eggs are thickened throughout but still moist. Sprinkle with bacon.
1 serving, Cal 340, fat 20g, Chol 330mg, Sodium 520mg, Carb 26g, Prot 16g.
Time saving tip,
Use 3 cups leftover cooked potatoes and omit step 1. Sub 1/3 cup canned, crumbled, cooked bacon or imitation bacon bits for the 8 slices bacon
|03-17-2003, 02:05 AM||#8|
Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce with Bay Scallops Over Whole-Wheat Pasta
It's not as hard as it sounds.
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 10 min (not including cooking pasta)
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes
2 cups reduced-sodium, nonfat vegetable broth or water
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 pound bay scallops
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
12 ounces uncooked whole-wheat spiral pasta
8 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and ground black pepper
In a blender,combine sun-dried tomatoes, broth, garlic and vinegar. Puree until smooth. Transfer mixture to a medium saucepan and set over medium heat. Cover and simmer 5 min. Add scallops, cover and simmer 5 min, until scallops are tender. Remove from heat and stir in basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and divide equally among four bowls. Spoon sauce over pasta. Top with grated Parmesan cheese (2 teaspoons per serving.
Per serving -- (3 oz pasta, 1 cup sauce, 2 teaspoons Parm) 449 cal, 3.5 g fat, 70 g carbs, 35 g protein, 9 g fiber.
|03-17-2003, 02:08 AM||#9|
from The Jake
PROTEIN SHAKE IDEAS
- milk + protein powder
now say you wanna add some fats
- throw in some flaxseed oil (a teaspoon will to)
and maybe you're running low on protein
- throw in an egg or two (be CAREFUL with this, if your eggs aren't well take care of and refrigerated they maybe breeding salmonella which can be toxic... so BE CAREFUL) - also good if u want to add some fats.
Bit of flavor
- ice cream (low fat, good for carb rush or bulking)
- ice cubes (nice and COLD)
- peanut butter (low fat)
Just some random thoughts
- The Jake
|03-17-2003, 02:10 AM||#10|
from The Phenom
5 egg whites
1 whole egg
½ cup oats (¾ if you want more carbs)
1 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp vanilla extract or any flavor
1 tsp of equal or sweet and low brown sugar
½ tsp baking powder
Add nuts or fruit to batter
(1/3 cup crushed pineapple is good)
Add water or juice (if needed) to make a medium consistency
Refrigerate overnight. Make your pancakes in the morning
Spray griddle with Pam
Brown on each side
MY FAVORITE---Tuna Patties
1 can tuna, drained
1/2 celery stalk, chopped
1 tbsp onion, chopped
10 mini rice cakes, any flavour
2-3 egg whites
Chop celery, onion and rice cakes in food processor. Mix w/ tuna and egg whites. Fry in pan sprayed w/ pam. Make small patties about the size of a mini rice cake. These are amazing & don't taste like tuna at all. Dip in ketchup, seafood sauce, etc or eat plain
|Share This With Friends|