Gavin Rees fighting M'Baye? - Boxing Forum
Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Global Boxing Scene

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 06:33 PM #1
rooq rooq is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manchester, UK
Age: 42
Posts: 1,113
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 15
rooq has a reputation beyond reputerooq has a reputation beyond reputerooq has a reputation beyond reputerooq has a reputation beyond reputerooq has a reputation beyond reputerooq has a reputation beyond reputerooq has a reputation beyond reputerooq has a reputation beyond reputerooq has a reputation beyond reputerooq has a reputation beyond reputerooq has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 85,048.86
Bank: 438,095.91
Total Points: 523,144.77
Good job with ROOQ'S BOXING PROMOTER game! - LoadedWraps 
Default Gavin Rees fighting M'Baye?

this is a weird one...

Gavin Rees as been lined up to fight Mbaye on the May sportsnetwork show. Now the BBC have reported this as being for the WBA title but as far as i'm aware Rees is not in the WBA top 15 and is probably not even in their top 40 considering he hasn't fought a 12 rounder in over 6 years.

he may have an impressive looking undefeated record but since he won the WBO intercontintental at a lower weight in 2001 he's been fighting journeymen.

i reckon this has been misreported and its a non-title fight. warren probably wants to give mbaye a little more exposure before his next defence which could happen on the July show.

if rees pulls off a shock win, warren has another lightwelterweight to hype up and eventually get a proper title shot, whereas mbaye will still be the wba champ.

if mbaye wins, well doesn't matter cos rees has done **** all recently and isn't a huge asset for warren.
rooq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 04-23-2007, 06:37 PM #2
The Wire The Wire is offline
West Ham til I die
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 34
Posts: 2,251
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 23
The Wire has a reputation beyond reputeThe Wire has a reputation beyond reputeThe Wire has a reputation beyond reputeThe Wire has a reputation beyond reputeThe Wire has a reputation beyond reputeThe Wire has a reputation beyond reputeThe Wire has a reputation beyond reputeThe Wire has a reputation beyond reputeThe Wire has a reputation beyond reputeThe Wire has a reputation beyond reputeThe Wire has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 141,724.68
Bank: 1,505,337.60
Total Points: 1,647,062.28
Happy Millenium! - Nicky_Hatton 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooq View Post
this is a weird one...

Gavin Rees as been lined up to fight Mbaye on the May sportsnetwork show. Now the BBC have reported this as being for the WBA title but as far as i'm aware Rees is not in the WBA top 15 and is probably not even in their top 40 considering he hasn't fought a 12 rounder in over 6 years.

he may have an impressive looking undefeated record but since he won the WBO intercontintental at a lower weight in 2001 he's been fighting journeymen.

i reckon this has been misreported and its a non-title fight. warren probably wants to give mbaye a little more exposure before his next defence which could happen on the July show.

if rees pulls off a shock win, warren has another lightwelterweight to hype up and eventually get a proper title shot, whereas mbaye will still be the wba champ.

if mbaye wins, well doesn't matter cos rees has done **** all recently and isn't a huge asset for warren.
Yeah I see what you mean but I think it might be for the belt. I hope so, anyway. I wish this was on the July show instead of the May one because I'm gonna go to the July show! I like Rees, he's a good fighter yet to fulfil his potential. Hopefully that'll start against M'baye
The Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:37 PM #3
The Monk The Monk is offline
Secularist fo life!
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The birthplace of the Industrial Revolution
Age: 29
Posts: 3,913
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 24
The Monk has a reputation beyond reputeThe Monk has a reputation beyond reputeThe Monk has a reputation beyond reputeThe Monk has a reputation beyond reputeThe Monk has a reputation beyond reputeThe Monk has a reputation beyond reputeThe Monk has a reputation beyond reputeThe Monk has a reputation beyond reputeThe Monk has a reputation beyond reputeThe Monk has a reputation beyond reputeThe Monk has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 11,002,198,571.71
Bank: 4,686,869,847.63
Total Points: 15,689,068,419.34
I'm going to insert a rather large organ inside you. These grapes are for the hospital afterwards. - OASIS_LAD 2k posts - Fuk Murray - Dan... 
Default

When i say this fight being mentioned I thought it was a joke, but then I realised it would be promoted by Warren. He has no intention of putting on credible fights so this fights looks like it might happen. Ree's has never impressed me and if he takes this fight he will be on the end of a bad beating.
The Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:43 PM #4
rooq rooq is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manchester, UK
Age: 42
Posts: 1,113
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 15
rooq has a reputation beyond reputerooq has a reputation beyond reputerooq has a reputation beyond reputerooq has a reputation beyond reputerooq has a reputation beyond reputerooq has a reputation beyond reputerooq has a reputation beyond reputerooq has a reputation beyond reputerooq has a reputation beyond reputerooq has a reputation beyond reputerooq has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 85,048.86
Bank: 438,095.91
Total Points: 523,144.77
Good job with ROOQ'S BOXING PROMOTER game! - LoadedWraps 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monk View Post
When i say this fight being mentioned I thought it was a joke, but then I realised it would be promoted by Warren. He has no intention of putting on credible fights so this fights looks like it might happen. Ree's has never impressed me and if he takes this fight he will be on the end of a bad beating.
but do you really think warren could influence the wba to sanction such a fight? i can understand if its a non-title one though.

its a complete mismatch, but i guess if mbaye treats it as an easy fight, rees could spring a shock and an imaginary cash-till sound will chime in Warren's head.
rooq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:49 PM #5
The Monk The Monk is offline
Secularist fo life!
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The birthplace of the Industrial Revolution
Age: 29
Posts: 3,913
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 24
The Monk has a reputation beyond reputeThe Monk has a reputation beyond reputeThe Monk has a reputation beyond reputeThe Monk has a reputation beyond reputeThe Monk has a reputation beyond reputeThe Monk has a reputation beyond reputeThe Monk has a reputation beyond reputeThe Monk has a reputation beyond reputeThe Monk has a reputation beyond reputeThe Monk has a reputation beyond reputeThe Monk has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 11,002,198,571.71
Bank: 4,686,869,847.63
Total Points: 15,689,068,419.34
I'm going to insert a rather large organ inside you. These grapes are for the hospital afterwards. - OASIS_LAD 2k posts - Fuk Murray - Dan... 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooq View Post
but do you really think warren could influence the wba to sanction such a fight? i can understand if its a non-title one though.

its a complete mismatch, but i guess if mbaye treats it as an easy fight, rees could spring a shock and an imaginary cash-till sound will chime in Warren's head.
Oh yeah, forgot about it being the WBA title. I just presumed it would be the WBO. Im not sure whats going on then, maybe Warren is starting to gain influence with the WBA as well.
The Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:19 PM #6
DavidPayne DavidPayne is offline
Up and Comer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK
Age: 43
Posts: 36
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0
DavidPayne has a reputation beyond reputeDavidPayne has a reputation beyond reputeDavidPayne has a reputation beyond reputeDavidPayne has a reputation beyond reputeDavidPayne has a reputation beyond reputeDavidPayne has a reputation beyond reputeDavidPayne has a reputation beyond reputeDavidPayne has a reputation beyond reputeDavidPayne has a reputation beyond reputeDavidPayne has a reputation beyond reputeDavidPayne has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 2,007.38
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 2,007.38
Send a message via Yahoo to DavidPayne
Default

As far as I understand it would be a title fight. Not sure if Kotelink was a mandatory but Rees is unbeaten so he may sneek under the WBA radar.

Truth is, its a mismatch of gargantuan proportions.

M'Baye isn't a killer at 140 but he's seasoned, in form and pretty slick. Rees is a face first, short arse who has never been near world class.

He does have Enzo Calzaghe's midas touch in the corner though.
DavidPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:51 PM #7
!!! Beowulf !!! !!! Beowulf !!! is offline
What's the time Mr. Wolf?
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 'Ampshire
Posts: 6,040
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 21498
!!! Beowulf !!! has a reputation beyond repute!!! Beowulf !!! has a reputation beyond repute!!! Beowulf !!! has a reputation beyond repute!!! Beowulf !!! has a reputation beyond repute!!! Beowulf !!! has a reputation beyond repute!!! Beowulf !!! has a reputation beyond repute!!! Beowulf !!! has a reputation beyond repute!!! Beowulf !!! has a reputation beyond repute!!! Beowulf !!! has a reputation beyond repute!!! Beowulf !!! has a reputation beyond repute!!! Beowulf !!! has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 2,057,276.80
Bank: 142,192.81
Total Points: 2,199,469.61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monk View Post
Oh yeah, forgot about it being the WBA title. I just presumed it would be the WBO. Im not sure whats going on then, maybe Warren is starting to gain influence with the WBA as well.
I think Warren is trying to gain favour with the WBA, after all he put in a pretty mammoth bid for the M'Baye-Kotelnik fight and I'm sure he'll be topping up the sanctioning fees.
!!! Beowulf !!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share This With Friends

User Tag List

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.