do you guys fall in your opponents range to much? - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 03-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Verstyle
Future Champion

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Rep Power: 21567 Verstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 8,539,178,709,600.98
Total Points: 87,439,179,360,189.81
I too dig the superman look - ABOSWORTH congrats!!! - kadyo Congrats on 38K posts Vers mah homie!!!!!!!! - Chief2ndzOnly! to the big homie - Larryx2011 great lounge poster - RINGG 
interesting/good threads man. - chiguy91 for an atg poster - jazluvr For all your kindness and support - Lorily :lol1: that shyt ain't right and awkward thread - jose830 No Message - MELLY-MEL... 
Thanks bro - BulgariasFinest Welcome back bud - TBear Happy Holidays Verstyle.. - !! AI-Holmes!! No Message - TBear No Message - TBear 
No Message - TBear 40,000 posts! :fing02: - jose830 4 d 40k - led* 40k son - MELLY-MEL... have a great time at the fight tomorrow night! - HUGH JASS 
Default do you guys fall in your opponents range to much?

I tend to go in there range alittle to much i've seen,reason why I gotta do so much defense on the inside.I think jabbing outside and they come in with a combo after the jab and getting back out of range is a great idea.

Any of you guys have that same problem,like you cant distance yourself properly? bit habit to break
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 03-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Trick
Interim Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 12 Trick has a reputation beyond reputeTrick has a reputation beyond reputeTrick has a reputation beyond reputeTrick has a reputation beyond reputeTrick has a reputation beyond reputeTrick has a reputation beyond reputeTrick has a reputation beyond reputeTrick has a reputation beyond reputeTrick has a reputation beyond reputeTrick has a reputation beyond reputeTrick has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 24,349.20

I'm 6 feet, 150, so I'm on the opposite end. I find people who throw a good, quick head,body,head combo as the move to the inside tend to pose a problem to me. I find I can outjab them when they try to jab comin' inside, but if they pull of a good combo, I find myself in trouble

Peace,
Trick
Old 03-06-2007, 12:26 AM
-GBGQ-
Pound 4 Pound

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rep Power: 35 -GBGQ- has a reputation beyond repute-GBGQ- has a reputation beyond repute-GBGQ- has a reputation beyond repute-GBGQ- has a reputation beyond repute-GBGQ- has a reputation beyond repute-GBGQ- has a reputation beyond repute-GBGQ- has a reputation beyond repute-GBGQ- has a reputation beyond repute-GBGQ- has a reputation beyond repute-GBGQ- has a reputation beyond repute-GBGQ- has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,108,145.11
Send a message via AIM to -GBGQ-

Def too much.

With my height and reach I should be untouchable always, from what I've been told.

But too may times when I have my opponent covering up I'll get too caught up into it and move into their range.

I should be able to just sit outside and bomb away but I like my left hook as tight as possible.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:14 AM
Exige Jr
Sugar Is Sweeter

Rep Power: 6731 Exige Jr has a reputation beyond reputeExige Jr has a reputation beyond reputeExige Jr has a reputation beyond reputeExige Jr has a reputation beyond reputeExige Jr has a reputation beyond reputeExige Jr has a reputation beyond reputeExige Jr has a reputation beyond reputeExige Jr has a reputation beyond reputeExige Jr has a reputation beyond reputeExige Jr has a reputation beyond reputeExige Jr has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 150,808.40
Total Points: 271,494.07

No the opposite, im the fighter that 9 times out 10 is the one who has opponents falling into range for me.

Its just the style of fight that you choose to do on someone. My style is to make them miss and counter straight after... so i'm always slightly in range (to draw the shot), then completely out of range, then back in my own range between attacks to hit them.

Its natural that as an inside fighter you would fall into your opponents range... its just the ability to not telegraph your movements and also to avoid shots when you are there which is gonna set you apart from the people who get hit and the people who dont.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Scottie2Hottie
Semper Fly

Rep Power: 3745 Scottie2Hottie has a reputation beyond reputeScottie2Hottie has a reputation beyond reputeScottie2Hottie has a reputation beyond reputeScottie2Hottie has a reputation beyond reputeScottie2Hottie has a reputation beyond reputeScottie2Hottie has a reputation beyond reputeScottie2Hottie has a reputation beyond reputeScottie2Hottie has a reputation beyond reputeScottie2Hottie has a reputation beyond reputeScottie2Hottie has a reputation beyond reputeScottie2Hottie has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 94,851.75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exige Jr View Post
No the opposite, im the fighter that 9 times out 10 is the one who has opponents falling into range for me.

Its just the style of fight that you choose to do on someone. My style is to make them miss and counter straight after... so i'm always slightly in range (to draw the shot), then completely out of range, then back in my own range between attacks to hit them.

Its natural that as an inside fighter you would fall into your opponents range... its just the ability to not telegraph your movements and also to avoid shots when you are there which is gonna set you apart from the people who get hit and the people who dont.
word.

personally, i was always taught to stay within that bubble of range, but at an angle on the outside that makes it impossible for them to hit you with a decent punch.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Exige Jr
Sugar Is Sweeter

Rep Power: 6731 Exige Jr has a reputation beyond reputeExige Jr has a reputation beyond reputeExige Jr has a reputation beyond reputeExige Jr has a reputation beyond reputeExige Jr has a reputation beyond reputeExige Jr has a reputation beyond reputeExige Jr has a reputation beyond reputeExige Jr has a reputation beyond reputeExige Jr has a reputation beyond reputeExige Jr has a reputation beyond reputeExige Jr has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 150,808.40
Total Points: 271,494.07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie2Hottie View Post
word.

personally, i was always taught to stay within that bubble of range, but at an angle on the outside that makes it impossible for them to hit you with a decent punch.
Hell yes, I love throwing people off with angles. All it takes is a sidestep and their whole walk forward attack has just missed... most of the time. Or do it as you are pressuring them. Come at them and then boom! a quick switch to the right and they have to readjust but then the shots have already landed. Confuses the **** out of people.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:49 PM
fraidycat
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 22 fraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 186,212.01

A guy at my gym refers to sparring me as, "A fistfight in a phone booth." I get my mail inside my opponent's range. There's nothing as satisfying as having a guy hook your head point-blank and miss.

I'm constantly experimenting with staying inside as long as I can; slipping far to the outside -- like, past their elbows -- once I'm inside, and throwing short hooks and uppercuts and seeing how long I can avoid taking that punch that makes me want to get back out of range. Usually I get nailed when I start to get tired; all that dodging and weaving wears me out fast.

I was getting creamed trying to stay inside while remaining in a traditional stance. I've found that the key to staying inside longer (for me, being short-legged) is to bring my trailing leg UP into a nearly-square stance when I get inside. I make that part of my footwork when I move in. This gives me easy lateral movement once I'm in there and I can literally dodge and weave circles around him.

I throw short hooks, shovelhooks, and uppercuts with lots of torque and usually using the momentum from slipping and weaving to drive the punches. I throw very few straights when I'm in that close; the occasional overhand if he breaks free and runs for range.

I think that using your momentum from an active defense to deliver the punches helps give the illusion of speed; speed, IMO, is very much a function of perception. If he's trying to track your dodging and slipping, he may not recognize that that slip to the outside is pulling a hook that's going to come through the hole he just left when he missed you.

Also, I've found that I (and probably my opponent) lose my visual cues because of the headgear when I'm in that close, so I have to rely on my other senses, much the way that blind men develop exceptional hearing and touch. Keeping a shoulder, a glove, or even a leg against him will help you perceive where he's going; you can feel his body move and you'll have some idea of what he's going to do next.

Take a step back and you've opened the gap to jab range and you're now in a more traditional stance where you can really work the jab; a long step or quick shuffle back puts you at long attacking distance where you can catch your breath and give him a moment to contemplate the errors of his ways. Vers, I'm sure you know all this already.

Anyway. This is what I've been working on. I hope to have it really together for our next smoker in June.

Last edited by fraidycat; 03-06-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Verstyle
Future Champion

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Rep Power: 21567 Verstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 8,539,178,709,600.98
Total Points: 87,439,179,360,189.81
I too dig the superman look - ABOSWORTH congrats!!! - kadyo Congrats on 38K posts Vers mah homie!!!!!!!! - Chief2ndzOnly! to the big homie - Larryx2011 great lounge poster - RINGG 
interesting/good threads man. - chiguy91 for an atg poster - jazluvr For all your kindness and support - Lorily :lol1: that shyt ain't right and awkward thread - jose830 No Message - MELLY-MEL... 
Thanks bro - BulgariasFinest Welcome back bud - TBear Happy Holidays Verstyle.. - !! AI-Holmes!! No Message - TBear No Message - TBear 
No Message - TBear 40,000 posts! :fing02: - jose830 4 d 40k - led* 40k son - MELLY-MEL... have a great time at the fight tomorrow night! - HUGH JASS 

jesse james leija is was working with me today,with the range issue.It's working out pretty good.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:30 PM
McAlister
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Rep Power: 17 McAlister has a reputation beyond reputeMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeMcAlister has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 290,077,587.77
Total Points: 1,290,329,868.01
Send a message via AIM to McAlister Send a message via Yahoo to McAlister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exige Jr View Post

Yeah I co-sign
Old 03-06-2007, 04:05 PM
fraidycat
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 22 fraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 186,212.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by VERSATILE2K7 View Post
jesse james leija is was working with me today,with the range issue.It's working out pretty good.
Please share with the rest of the class. . . .

Share This With Friends

User Tag List