Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about lead hook and weight transference in general.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about lead hook and weight transference in general.

Do you shoulders need to be in line with your hips? Do you place your weight on your back, front or on both? Do you need to turn your body as fast as your hook travels, because thats ****ing hard
    Last edited by platinummatt!; 02-16-2007, 08:46 PM.

Originally posted by platinummatt! View Post
    Do you shoulders need to be in line with your hips? Do you place your weight on your back, front or on both? Do you need to turn your body as fast as your hook travels, because thats ****ing hard
    You need to create torque when throwing a hook with power. So your body needs to be ahead of your arm in its movement. Imagine you throwing a hook at me and im holding your fist back... your body is still doing the spinning motion but your hand isnt moving anywhere. Now when I release your hand its gonna fly at me real fast from all that torque you have built up within your body.

Thats the secret to a good hook in my opinion. I know, I have layed people out with a left hook.

Comment

Lol thanks yeh. Yeh Ive stuff about throwing straight like that. That does make it easier for me but it raises questions on if the body weight is transferred, and about energy storage. mm... I should just try it out on my bag when I can get to it. ****ing trailor.

Comment

Originally posted by platinummatt! View Post
        Lol thanks yeh. Yeh Ive stuff about throwing straight like that. That does make it easier for me but it raises questions on if the body weight is transferred, and about energy storage. mm... I should just try it out on my bag when I can get to it. ****ing trailor.
        You need to stand in your stance, but make it so that your front foot can twist from facing forwards to facing your right. So it goes from.

^
        |

-->

As you are twisting your foot you are throwing your hook, and your weight should mainly be on your front foot, I find. Your right hand protecting the right side of your face.

Comment

Yeh youre right. But the thing is does your first move at the same rate as your foot, or does it wait behind for a sec, while your turning. I find that adds a lot of momentun, and speed, but maybe all turning at the same time will actually make the weight into it

Comment

Also with the turning the body first. They may see it coming

Comment

the way I generate power from a hook with weight behind it is by turning my hips then my torson first then swinging my arm into the punch.also bend your legs into it when coming up. jim lampley can exzplain it better then I can. at 4:30 of the tyson fight reply he explains how mike puts his weight behind his punches.

Comment

Originally posted by VERSATILE2K7 View Post
                the way I generate power from a hook with weight behind it is by turning my hips then my torson first then swinging my arm into the punch. jim lampley can exzplain it better then I can. at 4:30 of the tyson fight reply he explains how mike puts his weight behind his punches.
                ahahahahahahahaha.

Comment

Cheers versatile. Great to see that sportsmanship at the end of the fight. The vid didnt really say much about it, you explained it better.

Comment

Wow. Tyson was beautiful to watch in that clip. I need to pay closer attention to his earlier stuff. Thanks, Vers.

Comment

Working...
                    X