Gym? Trainer? - Boxing Forum
Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 12-28-2006, 04:41 PM #1
Amateur

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jrmcent has a reputation beyond reputejrmcent has a reputation beyond reputejrmcent has a reputation beyond reputejrmcent has a reputation beyond reputejrmcent has a reputation beyond reputejrmcent has a reputation beyond reputejrmcent has a reputation beyond reputejrmcent has a reputation beyond reputejrmcent has a reputation beyond reputejrmcent has a reputation beyond reputejrmcent has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 11,849.00
Default Gym? Trainer?

So I am interested in getting involved in competitive boxing and have been doing some research as to a good gym in my area. I go to school in rochester, new york and the only gym I could fine was one by the name of ROC Boxing and Fitness. Not sure if I am allowed to post a link here so I am not going to, but maybe someone can google it and see what they think. I emailed the trainer there and he got back to me witht he prices and a list of the classes they give throughout the week. My concern is that the gym is more just for casual people looking to get a good work out. I am looking for something that will really train me and get me into the boxing routine. Any suggestions would be great as to what to look for in a gym and what to expect from the trainers. I
jrmcent is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-29-2006, 12:30 AM #2
Interim Champion

Stromprophet has a reputation beyond reputeStromprophet has a reputation beyond reputeStromprophet has a reputation beyond reputeStromprophet has a reputation beyond reputeStromprophet has a reputation beyond reputeStromprophet has a reputation beyond reputeStromprophet has a reputation beyond reputeStromprophet has a reputation beyond reputeStromprophet has a reputation beyond reputeStromprophet has a reputation beyond reputeStromprophet has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 40,469.91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmcent View Post
So I am interested in getting involved in competitive boxing and have been doing some research as to a good gym in my area. I go to school in rochester, new york and the only gym I could fine was one by the name of ROC Boxing and Fitness. Not sure if I am allowed to post a link here so I am not going to, but maybe someone can google it and see what they think. I emailed the trainer there and he got back to me witht he prices and a list of the classes they give throughout the week. My concern is that the gym is more just for casual people looking to get a good work out. I am looking for something that will really train me and get me into the boxing routine. Any suggestions would be great as to what to look for in a gym and what to expect from the trainers. I
Well, what kind of shape are you in? You may need to get a good work out before actually starting to train for boxing...

That's just my opinion. Anyone else?
Stromprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:07 PM #3
Up and Comer

Nazgul666 has a reputation beyond reputeNazgul666 has a reputation beyond reputeNazgul666 has a reputation beyond reputeNazgul666 has a reputation beyond reputeNazgul666 has a reputation beyond reputeNazgul666 has a reputation beyond reputeNazgul666 has a reputation beyond reputeNazgul666 has a reputation beyond reputeNazgul666 has a reputation beyond reputeNazgul666 has a reputation beyond reputeNazgul666 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 20,124.33

I'm a total novice but I would echo that. I would start with the workouts. I'm older than you, 39, but I look good, lift weights, do cardio, mountain bike etc. and I was completely blown away by the boxing/fitness workouts that my trainer puts me through. Its only now that I am starting to spar a little and that's only with my trainer. In a few weeks he said I would be ready to go in with a couple of the guys from the gym.

If I were you I would do it and get a taste for the workouts and then take it from there. I sparred 3 rounds with my trainer last night and the last half of the third round I was almost unable to protect myself because of fatigue. Now this was midway through our normal workout so I had already hit the mitts for awhile, done some abs, jumped rope etc. But, it really hit home with me that it would be absolutely miserable to be in a real match and be out of gas. I never want to experince that, so at this point I am devoted to being in shape and being able to box, move, and jab for as long as I want.
Nazgul666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:25 PM #4
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Evil_Meat has a reputation beyond reputeEvil_Meat has a reputation beyond reputeEvil_Meat has a reputation beyond reputeEvil_Meat has a reputation beyond reputeEvil_Meat has a reputation beyond reputeEvil_Meat has a reputation beyond reputeEvil_Meat has a reputation beyond reputeEvil_Meat has a reputation beyond reputeEvil_Meat has a reputation beyond reputeEvil_Meat has a reputation beyond reputeEvil_Meat has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 9,000,054,795.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazgul666 View Post
I'm a total novice but I would echo that. I would start with the workouts. I'm older than you, 39, but I look good, lift weights, do cardio, mountain bike etc. and I was completely blown away by the boxing/fitness workouts that my trainer puts me through. Its only now that I am starting to spar a little and that's only with my trainer. In a few weeks he said I would be ready to go in with a couple of the guys from the gym.

If I were you I would do it and get a taste for the workouts and then take it from there. I sparred 3 rounds with my trainer last night and the last half of the third round I was almost unable to protect myself because of fatigue. Now this was midway through our normal workout so I had already hit the mitts for awhile, done some abs, jumped rope etc. But, it really hit home with me that it would be absolutely miserable to be in a real match and be out of gas. I never want to experince that, so at this point I am devoted to being in shape and being able to box, move, and jab for as long as I want.
great post man. Btw no matter how good a shape ur in its not bad to be fatigued at the end, as you the better shape u get in the more punches u should throw to compensate. Ur goal should be to get in as good a shape as possible so that you can be VERY active because even if ur an amazing boxer u can be outworked by a guy with inferior fighting skills if he just keeps coming forward throwing shot after shot. Good luck in the future
Evil_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:05 PM #5
Contender

DMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,967,712.84
Total Points: 1,991,379.06

Nice post Nazgul666,

I am looking to start and do exactly what you are doing.
I am 31 but I can't find a gym in my area that will train me and maybe sparing, there only interested if you want to become a boxer.
So I don't know what to do at the moment.

I started to do the training but I want to learn some of the skills.

DMC

Last edited by DMC; 02-11-2007 at 11:20 PM.
DMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:48 AM #6
Contender

DMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond reputeDMC has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,967,712.84
Total Points: 1,991,379.06

Anyone from Victoria Australia here?

DMC
DMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:32 PM #7
Contender

Machine Gunz will become famous soon enough
Total Points: 104,854.28
Here is a gift 4 a stand up guy or girl.....!! - bearman3000 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC View Post
Anyone from Victoria Australia here?

DMC

hey mate, im in melbourne, vic. where in melb are you? what do u want to know?
Machine Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

User Tag List