No announcement yet.

Joey Giardello vs Rubin Carter......Not A Robbery

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey Giardello vs Rubin Carter......Not A Robbery

When I watched this fight I was surprised out how badly the film blew the outcome of the fight totally out of proportion. The film promoted this fight as a total highway robbery but IMO Giardello won this fight clearly.

What are your thoughts on this fight?

Also what do you make of Carter's 2 big wins over future Heavyweight Champ Ellis and ATG Emile Griffith?

Giardello was very effective moving in and out on Carter and not letting Carter get his big punches off, he was always either all the way out or all the way in, normally clinching after he finished punching to let the referee seperate them. He was definitely the clear winner of this fight.

The Ellis fight was a legitimate win for Carter, Ellis boxed will before he got knocked down by Carter and from that point on Carter's pressure won him the fight. Not a bad win really although Ellis didn't do much at middleweight.

The Griffith-Carter fight can be viewed here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgDxA78CJho. Not much to say about it really, Carter wasn't the most skilled fighter out there but he had big one punch power, especially in the left hook.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
      Giardello was very effective moving in and out on Carter and not letting Carter get his big punches off, he was always either all the way out or all the way in, normally clinching after he finished punching to let the referee seperate them. He was definitely the clear winner of this fight.

The Ellis fight was a legitimate win for Carter, Ellis boxed will before he got knocked down by Carter and from that point on Carter's pressure won him the fight. Not a bad win really although Ellis didn't do much at middleweight.

The Griffith-Carter fight can be viewed here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgDxA78CJho. Not much to say about it really, Carter wasn't the most skilled fighter out there but he had big one punch power, especially in the left hook.
      My thoughts precisely. Just read an article that Giardello sued the Company that distributed the film on grounds of defamation.

Carter's first hook on Griffith basically ended that fight. No way he was able to recover from that. Sad though that after Carter's title shot his career totally spiralled.

Comment

Giardello won the fight fairly easily.. The movie makers made out it was the otherway around so as to make out Carter was some kind of unbeatable fighting-machine, they done the same in the film "Ragging Bull" by adding that Jake LaMotta shouted to Ray Robinson "You cant put me down Ray" which was total bull****, if the referee had not jumped in and stopped `The St.Valentines Day Massacre` Robinson would have left LaMotta face-down on the canvas.

Comment

Working...
        X