Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sergio Martinez-Paul Williams: Too Close, Even For Vegas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PWill can make the adjustments and win this fight.

Comment

I like Sergio's chances in the rematch. He is more of a thinking boxer which should help him prepare. Plus a full training camp should get him into better fighting condition then he was in the first fight.

Comment

Williams had only three weeks to prepare for a Southpaw and was also preparing for a prerssure fighter. Martinez and Pavlik are opposite sides of the spectrum. I think this time Paul wins more convincingly. He totally gives up his height advantage and Williams needs to correct that this time around. It should still be a close one, but the fact that Williams throw way more punches usually becomes the deciding factor in close rounds. For those of you saying Williams was losing to Cintron in their fight, they didn't even fight four full rounds and you could have easily had the bout 2-2. Cintron was doing well, but thats because Williams wasn't going wild, he was taking his time. It's funny because if he goes in there and throws punches like crazy he's negating defense, but if he fights more tactically then he's not being busy enough...some of you people on here are so hard to please.

Comment

who needs Vegas, put your money on Williams! lol

Martinez although I thought he won the first fight he didn't "DOMINATE" despite the fact that he landed the harder shots, it was a CLOSE FIGHT all the way around

BUT...you will see a huge difference from a guy Preparing for Pavlik for MONTHS then switch up and preparing for Martinez in some WEEKS, Martinez was OPEN when he got the call from Williams camp, he wasn't preparing for any particular fighter but Williams was, the Training and getting in shape is one thing, but implementing a game plan and preparing for certain styles...that is a different aspect, you go from preparing for a SLOW One-Dimensional Kelly Pavlik to a Quick and Slick Martinez I am sure it makes a HUGE difference

with a Full Camp To Prepare For Martinez, I think Williams will benefit the MOST and it will show in the RING...Williams by KO or UD

Comment

martinez will dominate

the whole 12 rounds since paul is sparring with quintana who is way over the hill. Can't compare martinez with nobody in the world. nitramzaid@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
              Various press have reported that Las Vegas oddsmakers have opened up the Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams rematch as an even-money fight. The rematch is too close to call, even for the experts in Las Vegas. Last December Williams edged out a twelve round majority decision victory. The scores were 119-110, 115-113 and 114-114.

[Click Here To Read More]

It's a hellva fight, a close fight, I would have to give the slight edge to Sergio. I thought he won the first fight, this time I think he takes it for sure. It has all the makings for being a frontrunner for fight of the year....

Comment

I've got P Will by decision. I think that he can make all the adjustments, while Sergio fought as well as he always does. P Will does the right thing, keeping Martinez guessing with those weird feints and popping that ridiculous long jab all night. P Will in 12...116-112 across the board.

Comment

Sergio is a hell of a counter puncher. They always do better in rematches. I think he wins this one pretty wide to be honest. Still taking bets if anyone wants to pm me.
                  Last edited by Motofan; 10-04-2010, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Williams is a volume puncher. Martinez is a counter puncher and he was able to figure out Williams quick in the first fight. The rematch should be easier for Martinez . I don't see Williams changing his style any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by chen View Post
                      Williams is a volume puncher. Martinez is a counter puncher and he was able to figure out Williams quick in the first fight. The rematch should be easier for Martinez . I don't see Williams changing his style any time soon.
                      Well said, damn good analysis. I have a hunch that PWill will be extremely gun shy and will probably only average about 70 punches thrown per rd. This plays directly into SMart's hands to not only counter, but actually start walking PDub down from R7 on. I see a pretty easy 117-111 UD for Sergio. And the theory that Paul is a beast in rematches holds no water here as Martinez is on a all nother planet with skills, speed and boxing IQ than Quintanna.

Comment

Working...
                      X