Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips to stop myself muscling the punch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips to stop myself muscling the punch?

I use my hips in every punch, but sometimes I use my midsection or arm a little bit, its very very subtle and small, but even a small amount is enough to really dampen speed and power, and because its a little, its hard to even notice when you are doing it.

Any tips to make sure you get rid of any "muscling" especially in the midsection area and arms

That stuff can happen to anybody, I thought that is what was going on when Hagler fought Sugar Ray. It used to happen to me when I got mad and tried to throw every punch with bad intentions.

I'd be willing to bet that you fight with a real tight fist, try relaxing your fist a little bit.

At least you understand that it is taking away from your power and speed!

Try working the top half of the heavy bag instead of the mid section and bottom half of it. That training helps you when you have a guy hurt against the ropes and want to finish him. Try hitting high on the bag with about 120 hard shots per minute. You'll break the habit of muscling punches real quick. Plus it will teach you new things as far as breathing goes.

Comment

My training would always say "don't load up" anytime someone would throw a punch that looked like they were muscling it.. as far as tips not sure.. guess I would say while working the heavy bag.. instead of every punch being hard.. try just tapping it.. then come with a hard one every so often.. keep switching it up.. tap tap hard.. tap.. tap tap tap..hard etc... I think you will get it after a while

Comment

Originally posted by McAlister View Post
        My training would always say "don't load up" anytime someone would throw a punch that looked like they were muscling it.. as far as tips not sure.. guess I would say while working the heavy bag.. instead of every punch being hard.. try just tapping it.. then come with a hard one every so often.. keep switching it up.. tap tap hard.. tap.. tap tap tap..hard etc... I think you will get it after a while
        thanks bro!!

Comment

My training would always say "don't load up" anytime someone would throw a punch that looked like they were muscling it.. as far as tips not sure.. guess I would say while working the heavy bag.. instead of every punch being hard.. try just tapping it.. then come with a hard one every so often.. keep switching it up.. tap tap hard., he heavybag is to build you strong. tap.. tap tap tap..hard etc... I think you will get it after a while
          Train as you'd fight, and in bouts, you'll fight as you've trained.

The heavybag is not for tapping. It's for pounding to build strength and endurance. Bust your **** hard in to that bag Alexkid, that's what it's for.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post

The heavybag is not for tapping. It's for pounding to build strength and endurance. Bust your **** hard in to that bag Alexkid, that's what it's for.
            who said its just for pounding the bag??.. I can embed videos of ward/mayweather/broner and more working the heavy bag and ALL of them... tap the bag then throw some harder shots.. then tap.. then throw heavy so not sure what you are talking about

Comment

who said its just for pounding the bag??.. I can embed videos of ward/mayweather/broner and more working the heavy bag and ALL of them... tap the bag then throw some harder shots.. then tap.. then throw heavy so not sure what you are talking about
              They are just f'ing around for the cameras. You'll rarely see the real work.

They could just do the same thing on the double ended bag.

If you aren't putting your **** in there strong than you are just jackin' off. Look I'm a boxer, pitty-pat-pat, what did it do towards your improvement? What do you gain by pitty-pat-pat?

I'm talking about throwing hard punches 3 minutes per round every round out.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
                I use my hips in every punch, but sometimes I use my midsection or arm a little bit, its very very subtle and small, but even a small amount is enough to really dampen speed and power, and because its a little, its hard to even notice when you are doing it.

Any tips to make sure you get rid of any "muscling" especially in the midsection area and arms
                Stop curling BBC

Comment

They are just f'ing around for the cameras. You'll rarely see the real work.

They could just do the same thing on the double ended bag.

If you aren't putting your **** in there strong than you are just jackin' off. Look I'm a boxer, pitty-pat-pat, what did it do towards your improvement? What do you gain by pitty-pat-pat?

I'm talking about throwing hard punches 3 minutes per round every round out.

You really arent making any sense... Pitty pat pat sets up harder shots... Noone goes into a fight throwing every shot as hard as they can..pounding away... If you think thats smart.. Then you can stick to that... But to the original poster... Be wise... Rockin's advice is not going to help you with your question..its only going to have you continue to muscle every punch... Never ever throw every punch with same velocity... Your opponent will adjust... Change it up.. Some hard shots some pot shots and you will be good

Comment

How do i stop muscling it? Is the question

Comment

Working...
                    X