Collapse
No announcement yet.

HBO's Punch Force

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is pretty cool, but for judges to get that info they need to be 100% sure they are accurate and it is something that could get tampered with (pay a computer geek to fix the chip instead of paying off judges~) or what happen if it just malfunctions~.

It is cool and I dig it for fans but I can't see them doing anything to change judging.
    Last edited by The Gambler1981; 06-26-2012, 07:25 PM.

Comment

tl;dr version?

Comment

Sounds great at first, but then you have to consider:

1) Too much room for someone to electronically alter the chip and skew the results. Instead of PEDs, we could be talking about glove hackers or something like that.

2) What happens when a fighter blocks a sold shot with a parry, using the underside of the glove, and the electronics are damaged.

3) How about when a fighter blocks a shot in general - they gonna score a punch when it's actually the glove being punched?

4) Water, sweat gets inside the lining and reaches the PCB. Game over.

5) Chip just plain malfunctions during a high profile PPV fight. Happens all the time with consumer electronics. These guys can't even get a fighter to weigh his gloves, but they're going to have 100 percent error-free hardware inside professional boxing gloves? Give me a break.
        Last edited by SonnyDempsey; 06-26-2012, 08:01 PM.

Comment

PunchForce is an awesome tool for fans and a way to measure how hard a certain punch is. but that's it, let's not get carried away and try to imagine that this could somehow be used for judging. For one, it's not 100% accurate. Two, it doesn't count landed punches (impossible since there would be no way to know which punches landed on gloves, arms, back, etc.) and three it shouldn't have any relevance in scoring since the force of the punch doesn't always mean anything (for example what if someone punches harder than the other guy, but the other guy has an iron chin and his punches don't effect him? The "weaker" puncher of the two could in theory hurt the other guy more with his weaker punches because his chin is whack).

Comment

Sounds interesting from a broadcasting angle, but laughable that it would replace judges.

Comment

What happens when a punch is blocked? How does it know the difference? Force is mass X acceleration. It is basically an accelerometer and as stated, its mass is a known value so it calculates a force.

The only solution I can think of is to have every boxer where a body suit, like batman, that is filled with sensors. That way it would sense exactly where the punches are landing.

Comment

Working...
              X