Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was the most feared hw out of these four.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
    bad mamajama in general. Foreman once told of a story where at Liston's camp while George was a sparring partner there that he gave Sonny a book on star signs (i think that was the book anyway!). Liston who was illiterate took it as an insult and was somewhat embarrassed, his response was to smack it out of Foreman's hand and tell him get out of his Fucking face
    Bad Mamajama lol... You remember Derek Angol aswell then.

Comment

Tyson had a slightly better grasp on the art of intimidation. He reduced a good portion of his opponents to psychological wrecks before they'd even entered the ring. His opponents were intimidated by it, but audiences were excited and electrified by the pervasive feeling of fear that he brought to the event.

Liston however, brought a similar level of intimidation to the ring but probably generated more social anxiety outside of it. At the time of the Civil Rights movement the malice that emanated from Liston wasn't solely viewed as being part of the entertainment. It was seen as being detrimental to representations of blackness that were being contested at the time. Black leaders feared the damage that Liston as heavyweight champion could do to the cause of progress.

So to their opponents I'd say Tyson edges it but Liston generated more fear in general.

I'll post a piece that I did at Uni on representations of blackness and boxing as a blog for anyone that might be interested.

Comment

Working...
      X