No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: John Scully Discusses The Split With Chad Dawson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: John Scully Discusses The Split With Chad Dawson

Recently news broke that WBC light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson left the man who trained him for his last two fights, former world title challenger "Iceman" John Scully, to reunite with former trainer Eddie Mustafa Muhammad. This caught many by surprise because it seemed Scully was given a lot of credit with his corner work in the Hopkins fight and the two seemed like a great team.

[Click Here To Read More]

SMH Chad, chad, chad

Comment

Chad seems like a total dick.

Comment

Interesting read. Looks like things got a bit ugly with the split.

Comment

I still don't buy the weight excuse.

He lost to Ward cause Ward is that much better.

Comment

Chad Dawson isn't a young fighter anymore. He has to take responsibility for his own shortcomings and stop trying to unload them onto other people. From what I read John Skully is a good trainer and gave Dawson a sound gameplan vs Hopkins (his biggest win). The real matter is that Dawson isn't a great fighter nor among the best in the world. He's a B competitor - his losses to Pascal and Ward confirm this.

If Dawson wants to remain relevant he needs to stop chopping and changing his camps and recognise his own limitations. Losses as a pro are inevitable. Trainers can't fight for you. At 30 he really needs to settle into a more strict training routine and really heed the advice and experience of guys like Skully before the losses begin to stack up.

The fact that he sent his brother in to Skully's room to address a problem in camp displays his lack of respect for his trainer and his immaturity as a person. If he can't grow up outside the ring, he will suffer in it.

Comment

Didn't Dawson's bro talk crap about him too? That he wasn't focused etc. Quite sad and a waste of talent.

Comment

Mentality has always been Chad's problem.

I don't think it was an issue against Ward right enough, he was simply a weight drained fighter and fought like one.

Comment

Dawson made the right move

Dawson hasn't looked good since he split with Mayweather Sr. after beating Adamek. Chad definitely has some challenges within himself but I have no doubt he can find a better match than he had with Scully. Scully should have delegated a proper strength and conditioning coach for Dawson prior to his bout with Dawson. If he did, he would have had a superior camp. And Chad was probably annoyed by a media happy Scully who likes to seen, get in photos, make comments that he thinks are Zen like yet are not that poignant and perhaps got tired of the constant reminiscing in person and on social media of the booming amateur scene circa 1979- 1987. That stuff will bore anyone if directly subject to it all the time. Dawson needs to take care of himself and needs a trainer in the background that has Chad as his number 1 focus. Scully obviously couldn't do that because he was simply too busy regaling everyone on his boxing accomplishments "back in the day." My unsolicited advice to Chad is to get his house in order and move forward.

Comment

Never been a fan of Dawson and this interview just reiterates that feeling. I've always felt the guy was overrated. His best win was against Adamek. Other than that, he's basically built his name on beating well past their prime fighters like G.Johnson, Tarver, and Hopkins. When pitted against young-prime fighters like Pascal & Ward, he's been exposed. In my opinion, the old fighters he fought would have wrecked him in their prime. G.Johnson pretty much beat him in their first match. The kid has physical ability but he doesn't have the heart to be great.

Comment

Working...
                    X