No announcement yet.

would canelo have beaten paul williams?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HandsofIron View Post
    Are you saying Kirkland was shot like Pwill? If you are, I have to disagree. Kirkland looked good, he even managed to hurt Canelo a few times in the first round during their fight.
    Kirkland is shot to shiiiit....

The dude has no chin anymore, never had the technical skills, and much like angulo, is now nothing more than a punching bag..

Yeah the reckless style of kirkland will always allow him to land some shots, but for the most part, its only a matter of time before he gets iced..

I would give him ZERO chance vs any legit 154/160 contender..

Now if it was 2008/09 version of kirkland or angulo, it would be much better fights vs canelo.. But now those dudes are just too war torn to be competitive at the highest level

Comment

Paul was way past prime, punch resistance had faded.

Remember this?

Comment

I wish Canelo had this fight on his resume-

I agree with the people saying P-Will was diminished at that point, and I think Canelo probably would have won, but I think it would have been one of hte best measuring sticks for Canelo stamina. Kirkland and Angulo were shells of themselves, P-Will still had some fights in him. Enough to test Canelo for real

Comment

Originally posted by bluebeam View Post
          Kirkland was way more shot than p will.

And I know you didn't just say kirkland looked good vs canelo. Cause he didn't at any point in the fight.

Canelo carried him as far as he could, just so the fans could get a little bit of their money's worth.

Kirkland gets knocked down just by looking at his self in the mirror. That dude was finished
          I doubt Canelo would carry a guy who punches as vicious and as hard as Kirkland, he came to fight and he brought the thunder. Canelo felt his power and that's why he was so eager to KO him in the first round and finish the fight early.

Re-watch the first round and you can see Kirkland land a good right hand that clearly hurt Canelo. He had to resort to tying up Kirkland, which I didn't like cuz it stopped Kirkland's momentum. (Seems a lot of folks missed it when Canelo clinched both of Kirkland's arms.)

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
            Paul was way past prime, punch resistance had faded.

Remember this?
            thanks for the upload.... I remember watching live and thought williams won, but i guess i wasn't paying close attention that, as I'm about the only dude that thought he won..
            I will give it a re-watch

Comment

Are you saying Kirkland was shot like Pwill? If you are, I have to disagree. Kirkland looked good, he even managed to hurt Canelo a few times in the first round during their fight.
              Dude wtf are talking about? Kirkland clearly didn't belong in the ring. He looked like a pure pile a shlt that Canelo had to clean up. He through defense out the window like how Hatton did in his fight with Pac.

Comment

honestly

I always wanted to see Williams vs kirkland... That would have been an epic action fight

And about the only fight that williams would be considered technically superior

Comment

I don't think Paul looked the same after the Sergio KO L. I thought he lost to Lara & he beat Ishida, but the only reason anyone knows Ishida is cuz James Kirkland is a moron so thats whatever.

But to the point I think for sure he would've lost to Canelo. He just wasn't the same guy really or at least he never got the chance to get back to being the same guy since post-KO L he only had the 2 fights before the accident. I do recall boxing fans being split at the time @ who would win that fight doe so it was a pretty 50/50 perceived fight at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                    Kirkland is shot to shiiiit....

The dude has no chin anymore, never had the technical skills, and much like angulo, is now nothing more than a punching bag..

Yeah the reckless style of kirkland will always allow him to land some shots, but for the most part, its only a matter of time before he gets iced..

I would give him ZERO chance vs any legit 154/160 contender..

Now if it was 2008/09 version of kirkland or angulo, it would be much better fights vs canelo.. But now those dudes are just too war torn to be competitive at the highest level
                    Well I still disagree, I think some folks are exaggerating about him being shot.

James Kirkland had just come off a good win and destroyed the young upstart Glen Tapia, who was undefeated at the time in a hell of a fight. If Kirkland was shot as some say, Tapia should of got that W easy.

Comment

Well I still disagree, I think some folks are exaggerating about him being shot.

James Kirkland had just come off a good win and destroyed the young upstart Glen Tapia, who was undefeated at the time in a hell of a fight. If Kirkland was shot as some say, Tapia should of got that W easy.
                      Shot in terms of where he was, and where he is now....

Tapia is nothing special, and kirkland could still beat guys like him, but anyone that is legitimately ranked top 10 would beat the hell out of kirkland..

Canelo
                      j-rock
                      Charo brothers
                      andrade
                      etc

The biggest fight that kirkland could win right now is a rematch with angulo. Other than that, i don't see him beating any top level guys

Comment

Working...
                      X