Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reality Check Time #1: Andre Ward

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's reasonable to have him as the 3rd best fighter in the world. His best three wins are probably Kessler, Froch and Abraham, and I'd rate that above Martinez' wins over Pavlik, Cintron and Williams and Donaire's wins over Vic, Montiel and Vasquez. Ward hasn't had an early round KO over a top fighter like them but a clear win is a clear win. You can make a case for JMM being above him because of deserving the W against Pac last time out.

It's true that he hasn't faced anyone with a lot of speed, skill and movement but as he's facing someone who meets that description in his next fight then he obviously isn't avoiding that kind of fighter.

He's still young and may turn out to have some big flaw that we've all overlooked, but to me he's ticked a lot of boxes so far.

Comment

Doesnt matter there style..

he will outbox them.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl-Lesnar View Post
        I'd even rank the Klitschkos higher as they have faced more variety and been more dominant.
        The Klitschkos' resume is absolute crap when compared to Ward's. He just won the Super Six while they fight in a division full of dreck.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl-Lesnar View Post
          How can he be Pound for Pound top 3?

he's "sort of" dominated an ok division and that's it.

Pac man
          Marquez
          PBF
          Martinez

all of these guys have moved through weight divisions and beaten better competition than Ward.

I'd even rank the Klitschkos higher as they have faced more variety and been more dominant.

Ward is fringe top 10 for me
          How many weight classes are better than 168?? Right now?

Comment

Pac and Martinez have not faced better competition.

Really no boxer has aside from him and Froch. And 168 is stacked.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
              This would make sense if those judges actually robbed someone. And he didn't fight Froch in Cali BTW.
              Why are they from Cali? There is a reason and the Froch fight was the first fight not in his own backyard in years....and it wasn't in England, still in the states. Trust me, if Ward is ever involved in a close, 50-50 fight, he is getting that nod...that's what the judges are there for.

It may not be Ward's doing but you can see the "fixins" in place in case something were to get too close for comfort. I don't like that stuff....as I said earlier....there is no need for those measures anyways, Ward doesn't need them.

Comment

This is nonsense. Ward can change styles and has fought different fights against different guys.

He'll push the pace on dawson and have dawson going through the motions by the 6th round.

After that his detractors are still going to make excuses

Comment

id love to see how he would deal with travelling to a hostile atomsphere if froch can beat kessler i wouldn't mind seeing ward travel to nottingham even if i think he would win would be nice to see tested in different situations because unless he movesup to '75 he gonna run outta opponents, highly doubt he would risk it though and hes got a big challenge in chad to get past.

Comment

Lets get this straight Chad challenged ward for his super middel belts, Chad have said that making 168 is no problem.

If Ward beast him he is the better man period.

And even if the fight was at 175 Ward would now be fighting at the weight he won the olympic gold medal at and would be even more dangerous.

He diddent just beat the guys in the S6,he dominated them, and these where not hand picked boxers with a surten style that would suit Ward, no the all the completly different styles and the all where at the top of the ranging`s

there is no way of downplaying ward achievement using reason
                    Last edited by 110110110; 06-04-2012, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                      Why are they from Cali? There is a reason and the Froch fight was the first fight not in his own backyard in years....and it wasn't in England, still in the states. Trust me, if Ward is ever involved in a close, 50-50 fight, he is getting that nod...that's what the judges are there for.

It may not be Ward's doing but you can see the "fixins" in place in case something were to get too close for comfort. I don't like that stuff....as I said earlier....there is no need for those measures anyways, Ward doesn't need them.
                      Fine. But the fact is he has not robbed anyone. And the biggest fight of his career took place outside of his hometown. As you said, Ward doesn't need it. Until he does, the discussion is moot.

Comment

Working...
                      X