Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we say that Golovkin is this era's Mike Tyson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by puga View Post
    WOW,youre crazier than i thought
    Yeah but you make threads with this account and respond to yourself with your alt account so your opinion doesn't bother me.

Comment

Originally posted by Guerrero's Dad View Post
      You are fooking kidding me, right?

Do you guys it's just huge punching power that gets the job done?

Golovkin is without a shadow of a doubt of the most skilled fighters in the game, if not THE most skilled fighter.

Offensive isn't skills? Footwork isn't skills? Fluid combinations? Creating openings? Great punching power off either hand, of different punches? Fantastic body punches? Perfect balance? A jab that nullifies and also breaks eye sockets?

What the fooking hell do you consider skills?

Oh, I forgot. Skills is speed and being able to fight off the back foot and being defensively savvy.

Golovkin doesn't have skills

Only on NSB
      I think these guys think if you're black and slick and don't take hits then you have skillllzzzz.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Why talk garbage? I've never said nor implied anything you've said in your childish response.

#1, I never said he doesn't have skills. I said he doesn't have "tremendous skills"

He has a skill set yes, he's not a guy with very limited skills but he's also not a guy with an overly great amount of skills.

His power and chin mixed with generally poor oppositon are huge factors to his success thus far.
        This thread is why I understand the hate GGG gets lol. I'm a big fan of his and the guy is absolutely fantastic at what he does, but versatile he is'nt. Certainly agree that his head movement is pretty much non existent, but he still does a reasonable job of slipping shots and he is a a pretty good counter puncher imo especially the counter jab. anyways, there are certainly a lot of fighters that have better overall skill sets.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
          This thread is why I understand the hate GGG gets lol. I'm a big fan of his and the guy is absolutely fantastic at what he does, but versatile he is'nt. Certainly agree that his head movement is pretty much non existent, but he still does a reasonable job of slipping shots and he is a a pretty good counter puncher imo especially the counter jab. anyways, there are certainly a lot of fighters that have better overall skill sets.
          Yeah I do like how he wins the battle of the jab. He times it really well and uses it really well to get into position to land crisp combos. I agree with you there.

But I think his all around counterpunching needs massive improvement. I just don't see him really throwing them. I don't see him slipping shots and coming back with counters or taking half steps back and countering.

Could use more angles too.

Take Roman Gonzlaez for example, I think skill wise he's a lot lot better than Golovkin is.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenchiro View Post
            I respect Tyson inside the ring a lot but please Tyson does not compare to ggg. Other than the seek n destroy knock out ur opp mentality Tyson is inferior to ggg in every way...Tyson isn't as focus, he isn't as technical, doesn't box as good, less conditioned, no heart....
            But Tyson with his low boxing skills, poorly conditioned body, and gutless heart, did fight quality opponents which is something so far g string has not. Advantage Tyson.

Comment

Yeah I do like how he wins the battle of the jab. He times it really well and uses it really well to get into position to land crisp combos. I agree with you there.

But I think his all around counterpunching needs massive improvement. I just don't see him really throwing them. I don't see him slipping shots and coming back with counters or taking half steps back and countering.

Take Roman Gonzlaez for example, I think skill wise he's a lot lot better than Golovkin is.
              No doubt. Gonzalez's offensive repertoire is amazing to watch.

Golovkin has tremendous footwork, ring-cutting, and jabbing skills. His patience and selection is pretty terrific, too. I know he was reckless against Brook but that wasn't typical Golovkin. People definitely overrate his defense, but offensively he's among the best in boxing. You're right that he relies a lot on overpowering his opponents with his great chin and power, and it's hard to judge the entirety of his skill set until he's in the ring with someone he can't overpower.
              Last edited by bojangles1987; 09-13-2016, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guerrero's Dad View Post
                I've heard it all now
                Well, he gave you a thorough explanation in what he's lacking offensively, you asked that he do that and he provided them. Rather than counter his argument, you respond with this?

Comment

Well I see what your saying, but I don't see that improving much if any over what he does now. He just does'nt have the speed or reflexes. I think him trying to move more to create different angles and attempting to counter more would be counterproductive for him in the ring. Given his physical capabilities, he fights how ne needs to imo.

Oh Roman is most certainly better and again my list would be rather long as far as guys I think have better overall skill sets, but I don't think many of those guys can beat him. Given his power, chin and ability to cut the ring off, his style is going to be a tough nut to crack, certainly at 160.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
                    Well I see what your saying, but I don't see that improving much if any over what he does now. He just does'nt have the speed or reflexes. I think him trying to move more to create different angles and attempting to counter more would be counterproductive for him in the ring. Given his physical capabilities, he fights how ne needs to imo.

Oh Roman is most certainly better and again my list would be rather long as far as guys I think have better overall skill sets, but I don't think many of those guys can beat him. Given his power, chin and ability to cut the ring off, his style is going to be a tough nut to crack, certainly at 160.
                    Agreed 100%.

Definitely a lack of speed.

And agreed on the rest. I never said Golovkin isn't skilled.

Comment

well hes not a heavyweight for starters so unless we're speaking P4P here which is just fiction then hes not even comparable to Tyson in the slightest

Comment

Working...
                      X