No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Schaefer: HBO Rejected Hopkins-Stevenson Clash

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GBP need to reep what they sow.

If you want to be loyal with HBO then why start so many shows (Must have been around 4 or 5) on ShowTime?
    Then Floyd deal was the last straw.

Comment

• To my eyes Golden Boy just got badly embarrassed.. Maybe they thought the TV people were playing? They don't play.

Comment

• HBO obviously wants to make Ward vs Stevenson but Hopkins always draws big numbers on the Network surprised they turned it down

Comment

• Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
          To my eyes Golden Boy just got badly embarrassed.. Maybe they thought the TV people were playing? They don't play.
          It's funny how boxing fans think HBO will lose out. HBO do not rely on Boxing to generate money. Sure it is a good business, but HBO can make money from other promotions and retain their ratings. HBO make money from TV shows that generate much more long term buzz such as Game of Thrones.

I like GBP fighters, some of the best in the world, but GBP ****ed up by putting a few shows on Show Time as a regular.

We know how Coca Cola deal with their sponsorship deals if you hold a Pepsi.

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Chief View Post
            It's funny how boxing fans think HBO will lose out. HBO do not rely on Boxing to generate money. Sure it is a good business, but HBO can make money from other promotions and retain their ratings. HBO make money from TV shows that generate much more long term buzz such as Game of Thrones.

I like GBP fighters, some of the best in the world, but GBP ****ed up by putting a few shows on Show Time as a regular.

We know how Coca Cola deal with their sponsorship deals if you hold a Pepsi.
            Well stated. HBO absolutely does not need us. They can drop boxing entirely and keep on steamrolling no problem. Golden Boy did potential damage to the sport itself overall by bringing us into a conflict with HBO.

Comment

• This probably has more to do with HBO not wanting Hopkins to ruin Stevenson too fast for them. You know they like having Jim Lampley creaming in his pants to knockout fighters, so why not milk it and have him knock Tavoris Cloud out cold, in a showcase fight.

Having a 48 year old guy beat him does nothing for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
                Well stated. HBO absolutely does not need us. They can drop boxing entirely and keep on steamrolling no problem. Golden Boy did potential damage to the sport itself overall by bringing us into a conflict with HBO.
                I actually hate GBP. They do great promotions, have great fights and fighters, but once they talked about ruling boxing like the UFC a few years back, that mentality ****ed them up.

Boxing is bigger than GBP. That statement by I believe Oscar made TR mad as well as Dibella but he is always mad anyway. Maybe that was a start to people distancing themselves from GBP? I know TR and GBP won't do fights which is sad.

Mares VS Rigo would be good. Few others too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post
                  This probably has more to do with HBO not wanting Hopkins to ruin Stevenson too fast for them. You know they like having Jim Lampley creaming in his pants to knockout fighters, so why not milk it and have him knock Tavoris Cloud out cold, in a showcase fight.

Having a 48 year old guy beat him does nothing for them.
                  I don't think so. HBO said they won't show any GBP fighter. Richard's reply seemed like he was OK with that move.

I do believe Hopkin's boxes Stevenson's brain easily though.

Comment

• That's ridiculous, that was a great fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                      Are you gonna start a civil petition? Nobody gives a $h1t about boxing, it's a drop in the bucket for both networks. Well not for Showtime, it's losing pretty good money on it
                      Exactly This^^^.. These f'n ******s don't understand that HBO can drop boxing altogether and still remain the #1 premium network on cable.

Comment

Working...
                      X