What Steps do u take to become a Proffesional Boxer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by divad View Post
    1st proffesional Gym i meant ive Boxed Ameteur
    I find it hard to believe, as Nwahs stated above, that you have an amateur record and you are amazed at the difficulty of a few rounds of bag work.

If this is your first time at a "professional" gym -- perhaps by this you mean that you've hit a heavy bag at a friend's house or done backyard sparring or something -- then, my friend, you have a long, long, way to go. There are talented fighters at my gym who have no intention of going pro -- people who have been boxing for 10 years and who have solid records.

Going pro takes a commitment and a dedication that will consume your life, the same as if you wanted to become a concert pianist, a ballet dancer, or president of a bank. You will need to sacrifice and dedicate yourself to it every day of your life -- you will need to make decisions in your life, starting soon, that will put you inexorably down that road to the exclusion of anything else you want to do.

On top of that, Western boxing is the most physically, psychologically, and emotionally brutal organized sport in the world. Not just the fighting; the training in and of itself is excruciating to your body, your mind, and your soul. It will make you question your sanity and your resolve. You will cry. You will bleed. You will puke. You will starve. You will bruise. None of your friends will understand. And the only people who DO understand will be people who beat you up for sport, and are much better at it than you. (Do not underestimate the psychological impact of this, BTW. It ****s with your head when your friends kick your ass for your own good.)

I had a reasonably successful career as a full-time musician for the better part of ten years, and my wife is a world-class soprano who is on a first-name basis with some of the finest musicians in the world. I know what it takes to make a career in an art -- and boxing IS an art, a performing art, as much as a sport -- that allows you to even scratch out a living for yourself.

Can it be done? Yes.

Do I believe you understand what it takes after one evening hitting a heavy bag? No.

But go for it; nothing's stopping you. Give 'em hell.

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post
      I find it hard to believe, as Nwahs stated above, that you have an amateur record and you are amazed at the difficulty of a few rounds of bag work.

If this is your first time at a "professional" gym -- perhaps by this you mean that you've hit a heavy bag at a friend's house or done backyard sparring or something -- then, my friend, you have a long, long, way to go. There are talented fighters at my gym who have no intention of going pro -- people who have been boxing for 10 years and who have solid records.

Going pro takes a commitment and a dedication that will consume your life, the same as if you wanted to become a concert pianist, a ballet dancer, or president of a bank. You will need to sacrifice and dedicate yourself to it every day of your life -- you will need to make decisions in your life, starting soon, that will put you inexorably down that road to the exclusion of anything else you want to do.

On top of that, Western boxing is the most physically, psychologically, and emotionally brutal organized sport in the world. Not just the fighting; the training in and of itself is excruciating to your body, your mind, and your soul. It will make you question your sanity and your resolve. You will cry. You will bleed. You will puke. You will starve. You will bruise. None of your friends will understand. And the only people who DO understand will be people who beat you up for sport, and are much better at it than you. (Do not underestimate the psychological impact of this, BTW. It ****s with your head when your friends kick your ass for your own good.)

I had a reasonably successful career as a full-time musician for the better part of ten years, and my wife is a world-class soprano who is on a first-name basis with some of the finest musicians in the world. I know what it takes to make a career in an art -- and boxing IS an art, a performing art, as much as a sport -- that allows you to even scratch out a living for yourself.

Can it be done? Yes.

Do I believe you understand what it takes after one evening hitting a heavy bag? No.

I puked in the gym on Wednesday. I was pleased.

Comment

Originally posted by Nwahs !! View Post
        I puked in the gym on Wednesday. I was pleased.
        lol thats not very gd u shudnet eat before going in the gym rofl no wonder u puked u shud let ur food digest bro.
        Yeh as everyone has stated u gta have alot of dedication plus a gd amatuer record for someone to see something in u to take u on as a pro.

Comment

Can it be done? Yes.

Bloody Great post mate.

Comment

Sign up for the Golden Gloves. See how you do. Compete in some torny's in your area, or even travel to another city. Do you have an Amateur record?? Turning Pro...that seems to be your goal. That's cool. Just get to work. But you gotta put in ALOT of rounds. When you can compete WITHOUT your headgear, get some club fights under your belt. Each state has a set of rules, requirements, etc. Try and get 15 wins in a row, that will land you an appointment for a physical!

Read the Post by "fraidycat". He knows what he's talking about!

Comment

so how many am fights have u had then?? im suprised u find a bit of bagwork tough if u have fought as an amateur

Comment

Can it be done? Yes.

Fraidycat...I see that you are a musician...so am I.....I went to Interlochen on a scholarship for violin when I was younger, and I am a singer songwriter for the last 16 years, currently seeking to solidify a recording contract.....

What type of musician are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Detroit101 View Post
                  Fraidycat...I see that you are a musician...so am I.....I went to Interlochen on a scholarship for violin when I was younger, and I am a singer songwriter for the last 16 years, currently seeking to solidify a recording contract.....

What type of musician are you?
                  Currently I play tenor saxophone in a swing band, and I write jingles for Clearchannel up here in Seattle. I also play the coffeehouse circuit, piano / vox, singer/songwriter stuff. I was signed to Atlantic in '88, then got swept up in the Seattle explosion in the early 90's, and toured the college circuit for several years playing keys with an aggro/prog outfit that went nowhere but took a long, sweet time doing it. It was a lovely ride. No regrets.

Good luck with your deal. Understand that when you sign on the dotted line, the work starts, not ends. Get a good lawyer. Break a leg.

/hijack

Comment

Currently I play tenor saxophone in a swing band, and I write jingles for Clearchannel up here in Seattle. I also play the coffeehouse circuit, piano / vox, singer/songwriter stuff. I was signed to Atlantic in '88, then got swept up in the Seattle explosion in the early 90's, and toured the college circuit for several years playing keys with an aggro/prog outfit that went nowhere but took a long, sweet time doing it. It was a lovely ride. No regrets.

Good luck with your deal. Understand that when you sign on the dotted line, the work starts, not ends. Get a good lawyer. Break a leg.

/hijack
                    You couldnt be more correct about signing on the line....I have screened about 3 lawyers so far and its tough to find a good one...I want someone to take a % of future earnings as opposed to an initial downstroke. It is a shady business....Ive just recently began to do backround music for some reality tv shows on mtv and the e channel...

Do you have your own studio? How is the indy scene in Seattle??

Comment

Working...
                    X