Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Name 3 Boxers from the past that you are 100% certain that could beat Sonny Liston

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If OP meant "previous to Liston" then that's a different question.

I don't think really any could beat him.

Comment

1. Jack Dempsey
      2. Joe Louis
      3. Jerry Quarry

I think Dempsey would have plenty of trouble, but would catch Liston and would be much faster. I think Louis had the power along with the technical skill and speed. Quarry's counterpunching and iron jaw would throw Liston off but it would be very close.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
        1. Jack Dempsey
        2. Joe Louis
        3. Jerry Quarry

I think Dempsey would have plenty of trouble, but would catch Liston and would be much faster. I think Louis had the power along with the technical skill and speed. Quarry's counterpunching and iron jaw would throw Liston off but it would be very close.
        I've seen Quarry fight enough to know that Sonny would have busted him up bigtime with his booming jab. Liston shouldn't be mistaken for Mac Foster or Ron Lyle.

Comment

If you mean prior to Liston then the list grows shorter...does Louis have the chin to deal with Liston? He most definitely has the movement and power though. Dempsey too small? Most likely. Tunney is skilled but how would he fair against someone who could be as unrelenting as Liston? Close fight.

Comment

Holyfield, early to mid 90's Holyfield, and Wlad would beat him. Larry Holmes would have to dance like Ali in order to beat Liston, and I don't think Larry could take a punch as well as Ali (Idk if I'm correct, please feel free to give me examples of how I am wrong).

Prime Tyson would be an AWESOME fight. Probably the heavyweight version of Hagler - Hearns.

Marciano would be a tough fight for Liston.

Also what do you think about Ernie Shavers vs Liston?

Comment

I'll go with Tyson, Foreman and Lewis, possibly Joe Louis too.

Comment

The only man in the history of boxing I see favourite against Liston in a fantasy fight is Ali from '60, for his footwork.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by embryo View Post
                  Holyfield, early to mid 90's Holyfield, and Wlad would beat him. Larry Holmes would have to dance like Ali in order to beat Liston, and I don't think Larry could take a punch as well as Ali (Idk if I'm correct, please feel free to give me examples of how I am wrong.
                  well, one things for sure, Wlad can't take a punch as good as Ali. So I don't think Wlad could do it. Wlad would be facing someone with a jab equivalent to his, he'd be facing an absolute bomber. I wouldn't pick Wlad to do it.

Holyfield could definitely beat Liston. If Holy sticks and moves, sticks to an appropriate gameplan he could outbox him and maybe stop him late. That fight depends on if Holyfield gets dragged into a shootout, because if Holyfield lets his ego get the best of him, Liston could come on top in a brawl. No Cooper & no Alex Stewart moments here.

Marciano would be a tough fight for Liston.
                  Stylistically Marciano is made for Liston. He will march right into Liston's bombs, and probably get stopped on cuts.

I think you're underestimating Liston a bit.

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                  I'll go with Tyson, Foreman and Lewis, possibly Joe Louis too.
                  I don't think Joe Louis has the chin to deal with Liston in a fire fight, which is what the fight would turn out to be. Louis also wasn't mobile enough to outbox Liston, so he would definitely try to punch with Sonny. I got Liston by KO against Louis.

Tyson is a pick em, Foreman & Lewis I could definitely see beating Sonny. Foreman was stronger, a harder hitter & bigger (maybe those advantages wouldn't be so big, Liston was all of those things too) but Liston would have all of the technical advantages.

Lewis should be able to outbox & stop Liston, in theory. but the Mercer fight stays ringing in my mind. Liston would definitely be able to replicate Mercer's performance. I think Liston's jab & his inside ability would come in handy here. and Lewis COULD be knocked out (as could sonny). I could definitely see Liston scoring with his big right cross, just like McCall and Rahman did.

but Lewis should be favored. I think Lewis by late knockout.

Comment

Both Klitschko brothers and Lennox.

Comment

Originally posted by embryo View Post
                      Holyfield, early to mid 90's Holyfield ..
                      Liston could crack mentally. Unfortunately, it took the greatest heavyweight in history to discover this fact.

Holy's mental toughness might well run Ali's close. But Ali could take every punch you could throw and still be standing at the end. Moreover, I never saw Ali beaten on the way Bowe beat on Evander.

The truth is Holy was vulnerable against top-tier heavies who could load up with combinations off of a good lead. Liston was all of that.

For Evander to win he'd need to break Liston's will. A one-punch KO is out of the question. And that's a lot of rounds against a guy who makes Bowe look like a humanitarian.

I'm not sure a smallish guy like Holy could take such punishment. It's not the will I question but the flesh.

Comment

Working...
                      X