No announcement yet.

Am I hitting the heavy bag too much?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I hitting the heavy bag too much?

Right now I usually hit the heavy bag for 10 rounds on non sparring days but I'm starting to think that's too much. I shadowbox for 3 rounds at the beginning but I feel like I should cut down the heavy bag rounds a bit to do more calisthenics, jump rope and shadowboxing. Would you say 6 or 8 rounds is a better number?

Originally posted by Wuckoo View Post
    Right now I usually hit the heavy bag for 10 rounds on non sparring days but I'm starting to think that's too much. I shadowbox for 3 rounds at the beginning but I feel like I should cut down the heavy bag rounds a bit to do more calisthenics, jump rope and shadowboxing. Would you say 6 or 8 rounds is a better number?
    Depends on how you feel, and you never said:

- Amount of training days
    - How many times a week you hit the heavy bag
    - Training length

Regardless, 10 is fine if you feel fine. I like to do 2 "extreme" workouts a week. 8 rounds heavy bag, a few rounds of slip bag or pads, 6 rounds jump rope, 45 minute high intensity training routine (kettle bell or calisthenics) and 3-5 rounds sparring. I can literally sleep for 15 hours when I'm done.

Comment

Yeah I train 4 times a week. 3 of those days are 2 hour sessions and one day is an hour and a half. On sparring days I'll obviously do less bag work but I feel I could be using this time more constructively

Comment

Originally posted by Wuckoo View Post
        Joe Fraizer was reportedly hitting the bag for one hour straight after he came home after a full day job (before he really started making good buck with fighting)

It is not about the rounds only, it is about the output and quality.

10 rounds could enough / little / too much depending on the quality and quantity of your punches.

Comment

imo, yes. but people have different views on training and respond differently to various forms of training as well. personally im not a big fan of the heavybag as i think it builds minimum skills compared to other training methods. it has its purposes obviously, im not saying people shouldnt use heavybags. but i always encourage people to not only spar but shadowbox and hit the double end bag if possible more than the heavybag.

when i was training i would do 3 rounds of heavybag work, 5 if i wasnt sparring.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
            imo, yes. but people have different views on training and respond differently to various forms of training as well. personally im not a big fan of the heavybag as i think it builds minimum skills compared to other training methods. it has its purposes obviously, im not saying people shouldnt use heavybags. but i always encourage people to not only spar but shadowbox and hit the double end bag if possible more than the heavybag.

when i was training i would do 3 rounds of heavybag work, 5 if i wasnt sparring.
            I've been thinking the same. I've been doing more shadowboxing and find that helps my balance and footwork more so than the bag. It's too easy to just hit a near stationary target

Comment

Train how you want to train.

Just remember that, it'll reflect in your ring work.

If all you do is bang the bag, you're gonna fight that way in the ring.

And for me, that's the easiest kind of opponent.

Comment

There should be a point to what you are doing. Is there some goal you want to achieve by hitting the bag? Improve condtioning or endurance for instance? If there is, keep at it. If not, then yeah you might not be using your time very constructively...

Same goes for all of it. Calisthenics for the sake of calisthenics is just as pointless.

Comment

It depends on your goals. If you're doing bag work for the sake of exercise and getting a good workout. Just make sure you don't strain your lower back if you're hitting a big and heavy bag.

If you're training to get better at the sport or preparing for an actual fight. I think there are better ways to spend your time than mindlessly hitting the bag for 10 rounds. Sometimes even 3 intense rounds on the bag with a purpose will be more beneficial than 10 rounds of hitting the bag just for the sake of hitting it. After all the bag won't teach you much.

I just read Facade's post and it's the same

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I lowered the rounds to between 6 and 8 rounds and shadowboxed more. Definitely feel it's an improvement! Have more time to do conditioning and skill work

Comment

Working...
                    X