Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hopkins as a trainer - Could it work and what fighters could he help?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B0XEO View Post
    Defensive BLACK fighters that want to master the turtle shell.
    there, fixed for you mate

Comment

Originally posted by microMXL View Post
      there, fixed for you mate
      ......explain?

Comment

Maybe not. Bernard is so smart but has the instinct and vision to capitalize. He's also got an otherwordly work ethic and dedication to his craft ... I think it would be hard for him to realize they might not be able to do what he did. He could have unrealistic expectations or an inability to relate to a lesser skilled fighter. Still... He has SO much knowledge that maybe he would be. At least to an established fighter imo.

I think he'd do well with defensive minded fighters of course. I could see Bernard being good for someone like Bute who has the skills and defensive instincts to take advantage of his teachings. It'd do wonders for Bute's mental game too maybe. A guy like Sergio Mora maybe.

Comment

Hopkins would be a tremendous trainer. His knowledge of the sport is incredible, he has seen everything and knows how to teach. I love watching/reading his breakdowns.

I would hope every fighter would learn from B-Hop, if you can't learn from him then there's nobody that can teach you.

I think someone like Pascal would benefit a ton from Hopkins. He has the athletic ability, but needs to improve his focus, defence and fundamentals...Hopkins would surely help.

Comment

The usual problem with greats in any sport becoming coaches is that they can't understand the viewpoint of the average athlete. They have a hard time understanding why this player or this fighter can't just do what I did.

Hopkins strikes me as a possible exception to that. He's never been a relatively blessed athlete, and has always been more about technical ability and smarts than physical advantages. So perhaps he'd work out.

Comment

I hope Hopkins goes into commentary one day. I remember hearing him call a fight and loving it.

Comment

Bhop should stay away from training, he will ruin careers. Rarely do great athlete's make great coaches or even mediocre coaches, why? Because they have rarely experienced inadequacy, so it does not allow them to be able to work with guys who just can't do what they could so easily. Plus Bhop loves to talk about himself no end, a great coach rarely has an ego, see Dundee or Futch

Comment

Originally posted by B0XEO View Post
                  Defensive fighters that want to master the turtle shell.
                  What's this turtle shell you speak of?

I'm sure he could be a good trainer as he already has helped many young fighters but he's always maintained he wants to be on the business side of things.

Comment

Working...
                  X