Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is hbo trying to set up Pavlik vs Bute next???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pavlik is going up to 168 to fight Bute.

Comment

Originally posted by O.S.I.R.I.S View Post
      People just don't realize how good of a match maker Brad Goodman is. Martinez is the perfect guy to gauge how Pavlik will look against Bute.
      I kind of disagree a bit, yes Bute/Martinez share some similar traits in slickness but they are two different types of fighters and I think Bute punches harder overall. I'm picking Pavlik over Martinez, but I don't think that means Pavlik would automatically beat Bute... Will see this saturday though, but I think it would be different.

Comment

Originally posted by O.S.I.R.I.S View Post
        Pavlik is going up to 168 to fight Bute.
        He will get KO'd then, Pavlik doesn't belong at anything above 160. But its a nice name to have on Butes resume still, so I'm fine with the fight I guess.

Comment

Pavlik should stay far away from Bute. This fight is a setup for PWill....

Bute should take that fight, he smashes up face first brawlers, I want to see him fight another boxer (read Dirrel/Ward)

Pavlik V Bute is a money fight, but Pav would have to go to canada.

Comment

Originally posted by SoldierWarrior View Post
            Bute looks skinny at 168, Bute can't make 160 or even a catch-weight most likely. If Bute-Pavlik did happen it would have to be at 168. And I don't think Pavlik wants to fight at 168.
            Pavlik talked about going up in weight prior to hopkins; him and his trainer both said it was extremely difficult to make 160 and moving up was something they were going to do. The hopkins loss spoiled that a bit but kelly's going to need to go up eventually at some point and economically speaking, there aren't any attractive names left at 160 other than paul williams.

Comment

I kind of disagree a bit, yes Bute/Martinez share some similar traits in slickness but they are two different types of fighters and I think Bute punches harder overall. I'm picking Pavlik over Martinez, but I don't think that means Pavlik would automatically beat Bute... Will see this saturday though, but I think it would be different.
              Well no fighters are exactly the same. My point was that the closes guy to Bute style that is on an elite level is Martinez. He is fast, slick, southpaw and a good counter puncher. Bute has a lot more power, is smater/crafter and has better defense....but again, Martinez is the closest to his style.

This fight is all about how good Pavlik handles Martinez speed, southpaw stance etc...and If he struggles Top Rank knows not to throw him in there with Bute.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
                Pavlik talked about going up in weight prior to hopkins; him and his trainer both said it was extremely difficult to make 160 and moving up was something they were going to do. The hopkins loss spoiled that a bit but kelly's going to need to go up eventually at some point and economically speaking, there aren't any attractive names left at 160 other than paul williams.
                Paul Williams is a name for now that will keep the 160 division fresh, if Pavlik chooses to chase the names at 168. I think he is going to find it hard to compete against the best fighters at 168. I think they are all naturally bigger then him.

Comment

Originally posted by SpinDoctor View Post
                  bute got to fit in somewhere cuz he doesn't have anyone to fight at the moment, cuz of the super six. I also think they might feed jermain taylor to bute.
                  Yea they would probably want that fight also, but look at it this way HBO has already invested money in a Pavlik_Williams fight that fight needs to happean so taht earlier investment is not wasted plus that fight is still fresh in the mind and demand has been building.

If both are to win I think HBO would want that first but it is always good to have a backup plan.

Comment

Also the whole point of Bute coming to HBO was for a potential Pavlik showdown.

Comment

Paul Williams is a name for now that will keep the 160 division fresh, if Pavlik chooses to chase the names at 168. I think he is going to find it hard to compete against the best fighters at 168. I think they are all naturally bigger then him.
                      Pavlik is a big middleweight so size isn't the problem, skills is what will get him beat by most of the top guys at 168 at this point. Pavlik is as tall as Dirrell (who is the tallest of the super six) and pretty much equal in size to everyone else, although he would have the same hight/reach advantage over abrham that dirrell had (that would be a dope fight btw)

I think he'll probably stick around at 160 for the Paul Williams fight because that's a big fight for him, win or lose he'll go to 168 and have a spotty career from there on.

Comment

Working...
                      X