Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't Roy Jones clean out the HW division after beating Ruiz?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there was talks of tyson vs jones.

that would have been huge.

Comment

Because Roy Jones was Floyd Mayweather before Floyd was. A fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRolltide91 View Post
        there was talks of tyson vs jones.

that would have been huge.
        Biggest fight ever if it happened... Would have been insane

Comment

That's kind of like asking "Why doesn't Cotto clean out the middleweight division?" We all know the answer.

Fighting for a living is a risk. Fighting guys a lot bigger than yourself is twice as dangerous.

Comment

Jones wasn't a HW. They made the HW minimum weight 190 from 200 lbs to accommodate Jones. He was 188 lbs the day before and said in interview with Jim Lampley he had never been heavier in his life. He had to weigh in wearing his gloves shoes and robe to make the minimum although it was announced that the state boxing commission would not interfere with the fight regardless of his weight. Ruiz was made for him but even if he was a cruiserweight like today and bulked up some...how would he have been able to fight a Lewis or Klitschko when guys like Tarver...Johnson and Lebedev KO'd him?
            Last edited by jaded; 03-05-2015, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Jones would have had trouble with a live heavyweight. Ruiz was too slow and had a low enough work rate to pose as a real threat, although he did hurt Jones with a shot...

I remember Jones getting hit, legs kinda wobbled, and he immediately grabbed...and during this sequence the announcers were completely distracted talking about something else and didn't even mention it. To me, he looked pretty hurt and was doing a good job hiding it. Did anyone else notice this?

Comment

It's funny actually because i have seen some old articles from back then that were saying Roy would have had a good shot at beating Lennox, kinda crazy looking back.

Comment

Like who, Lewis? He would've been massacred and wanted a kings ransom to step in that ring. He did have a fight scheduled with Holyfield but Evander pulled out. Given the options of facing Corrie Sanders or Hasim Rahman, he chose moving back to 175.

Comment

This thread went over your heads. OP is a Cotto fan using this example to defend why people are criticizing Cotto for not cleaning out MWs.

At least I think that's what it is. Because nobody in their right mind would think that Roy could clean out a heavyweight division.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr 117-111 View Post
                      This thread went over your heads. OP is a Cotto fan using this example to defend why people are criticizing Cotto for not cleaning out MWs.

At least I think that's what it is. Because nobody in their right mind would think that Roy could clean out a heavyweight division.
                      Pbp

The difference between LHW and hw is huuuuuuuggee

Difference between 154 and 160 isn't

Comment

Working...
                      X