Just rewatched Cotto vs Margarito 2...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by urrah View Post
    Can you tell the difference?

Yeah....he landed a lot less in the 2nd fight.

That doesn't mean he "wasn't landing" or that his punches had "no effect" as the Cotto fanboys (egged on by Jim Lampley/HBO) like to make people believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Boxer View Post
      If you watch rounds 8-9 Cotto was sitting more on his power punches than earlier on the fight. Placing more power behind his hooks, and landing some serious bombs. Cotto had a good chance of stopping Tony via KO had the fight gone longer.
      He couldn't KO him if they fought 10000 times. Doctor intervention was the only way he was gonna get a stoppage

Comment

I kind of feel like this was a pity win for Cotto.

His eye was too damaged from the get go. All Cotto had to do was keep making contact with that eye, and the swelling would begin.

Margarito was just too shot. He needs to retire.

Comment

Originally posted by Einstien View Post
          I think against Pac (at 154lb) He has a decent chance, for 2 reasons, the weight and because now Cotto knows that he cant just trade with Manny, so I imagine he would box more.(still edge to Pac).

Floyd I see him losing to as well. But I dont believe it would be that easy. I think he can box a bit more against Floyd.
          I dont see Cotto gassing out because Floyd does not pressure fighters. So I think it would be a chess match with Floyd winning with good countering. But if floyd gets offensive, he may take Cotto out early or (hey this is boxing) Cotto rocks Floyd similar to Shane or Zab. But still floyd adapts and wins.
          I agree with you on this post. Cotto@154 has a better chance against Pacquiao than Cotto/Floyd.

Originally posted by Shogunofharlem1 View Post
          Although cotto was clearly outboxing, the thought will always linger in my head , "what would have happened if he stopped. " Cotto was clearly gassing before the fight was stopped and would have had to stand his ground. (Whether this would have happened before or after round 12 remains the question)
          It's all speculation. I just can't for the life of me imagine Cotto getting stopped during those last three rounds especially with the history between them and that Cotto was on his turf with all those supporters. Cotto was looking tired but not so much that he had no more to give. If anything, the fact that he was hitting Margarito so cleanly and that his eye was swelling was a motivator to keep going. BTW, I said this shortly after the fight and I'll say it again:

Cotto could've flat-out refused to engage AT ALL and given the last rounds to Margarito 10-8...Cotto would've STILL ended up winning. That's how much of a beating Margarito was taking.

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
          I dont care what anyone say, I was clearly scared for Cotto late in the fight, I thought **** de javu all over again, He was getting caught on the ropes, mouth all open, jogging backwards awkwardly after landing a feel jabs (Some call that boxing/boxing lesson i definitely beg to differ).
          The middle rounds were the ones that got me on edge when I was watching it live. Those fifth/sixth rounds made it look like it was going to be a repeat. In the eighth round, Cotto once again took the reins and won the rounds much more convincingly.

Originally posted by jtcs1981 View Post
          I doubt you are new to this. Cotto's face been like that after every fight after his loss to Tony. Even after Judah his face started getting like that. After Tony became worst. So please, dont use that argument. That is the same argument some tards are using for Pac vs JMM 3 and most people saw JMM winning. Compubox and face dont tell the whole story.
          THIS. People ignore that a lot, unfortunately. Hell, Cotto got swollen and a bit scuffed up with powder-punching Yuri Foreman. His face doesn't hold up as well as it used to.

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
          And saying that Margarito wasn't landing or having an effect on Cotto doesn't tell the whole story. In fact, its a flat out lie.
          I don't think anyone can dispute that. Margarito got his shots here and there, but the snappier, harder punches were all Cotto's. It's Margarito's legendary chin that gives the illusion that Cotto can't punch.

He was smiling because Cotto cant hurt him.
          Originally posted by Ko King 212 View Post
          Man down.......
          Originally posted by Clutch93 View Post
          shots fired.
          ^^^ LOL!!!!

You people actually equate what Mosley did to Tony with what Cotto did....? WOW....
          Ugh...no. The guys who gave Margarito the beatings were (in order from best to worst):

1. Mosley (nine rounds, TKO'd him without any controversy. No cuts, just boxing/punching and throwing haymakers for nine vicious rounds. Actually STUNNED Margarito and had him on full-on RETREAT. Margarito NEVER had a moment in the fight. Mosley annihilated Tony.)

2. Pacquiao (12 rounds of brutal plastic surgery and some spots where he hurt Margarito. The fight should've been stopped, but wasn't. Margarito had some moments and got plenty of shots on Pacquiao, but ultimately it is GREATLY overshadowed by his facial damage. It was a tremendous beating, but not as incredible as the one Mosley performed.)

3. Cotto rematch (9 rounds like Mosley. Controversial stoppage. Cotto never hurt Margarito and was fighting backwards for the grand majority of the fight. It is the least impressive of the three beatings.)

Originally posted by .WaRCoTTo. View Post
          Cotto doesn't pack the same punching power as Mosley, I mean Margarito even had a HUGE smile on his face when Pacquiao was rearranging his face. No Cotto didn't do what Pacquiao did, hence Cotto is Cotto and Pacquiao is Pacquiao...

Cotto came with a BOXING gameplan and performed, there's no way in hell that Margarito was gonna do anything different besides try to open up some more in the last 3 rounds..he was down 9-0 or 8-1 if you want to be generous..he wasn't gonna do anything differently, and Cotto wasn't slowing down, still landing about 50% of his shots in round 9.

I'm not sure why this is even in question, if a 3rd match happens, it's a repeat, Margarito can't adapt, his skills are not good at all..his pressure and chin got him to the championship level, his lack of skills got him off that ladder quick!..
          Well stated.

Originally posted by jazluvr View Post
          This guy is going to end up blind in one eye. Pride comes before the fall.
          Yes, it does. I feel half-bad for the guy. I mean, sure he made a lot of money...but this was a guy I was looking forward to and rooting for when he had his upcoming fight with Shane. Then with the plaster scandal he lost A LOT of supporters.

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
          Cotto would've found a way to quit....

He couldn't KO him if they fought 10000 times. Doctor intervention was the only way he was gonna get a stoppage
          Did it come as a surprise to you? I mean, really? Anybody looking forward to that fight was saying that the eye would be the x-factor. Margarito didn't properly defend. His chin still holds up as great as ever, but his pride in the Pacquiao fight ultimately led him to not being able to have a normal eye status when taking repeated left hands. If Robert García and Laurence Cole hadn't been so stubborn, maybe they could've saved Margarito's eye.
          Last edited by TintaBoricua; 01-29-2012, 07:59 PM.

Comment

I used more than his smile to know he wasn't hurt.

Did you really just open an account to complain about my post on why Tony was smiling....LOL wtf? Smile analyser?? You really read far too much into what I said.
            my first couple of posts are replies to your stupid ass comments, so now you try to make it seem as i opened my account to complain about you?

that kind of logic is what shows how dumb you are. keep at it
            Last edited by popster; 01-29-2012, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by popster View Post
              my first couple of posts are replies to your stupid ass comments, so now you try to make it seem as i opened my account to complain about you?

that kind of logic is what shows how dumb you are. keep at it
              Its not like you've posted on anything else. Nice to have fans I guess.

Comment

margarito just doesn't gives a shiet

Comment

Really cause at the end of the fight Margo was getting pushed back and his head was starting to snap back when he was getting hit.

Comment

I've rewatched like five times since the night of the fight and I always feel the same way. Round 5 and 6 were the rounds where you though maybe this might be happening all over again. I gave Margarito the 5th as he really cut Cotto's work rate down. But the 7th hits and Cotto takes control again and never gives it up. I don't get Garcia saying "That was our best round!". Margarito land some body shots and uppercuts when Cotto tryed to push him back and hung in the pocket too long, but Cotto ripped him in that round on a few occassions. IMO, I don't think Cotto was gonna get stopped and neither was Margo without the eye history. It was gonna be a one sided UD if they didn't stop it.

Comment

Its not like you've posted on anything else. Nice to have fans I guess.
                      it's not like i;ve had my account open for more than one day

not nice being a moron i guess

Comment

Working...
                      X