No announcement yet.

Andre Ward offers Marco Antonio Periban a HBO-televised fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
    I will be at a NW suburban Chicago bar for Canelo-GGG. It takes true talent to root me out of my nesting place. Crawford, Ward do it for me. Canelo-GGG? I'll drop the $10 cover charge at Fox & Hounds for that mismatch.

Merry Christmas Terry.
    So Crawford vs Jean and Ward vs parriban does it. Seems legit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Philadel View Post
      I can see it now, if Ward washes Krusher he'll get no credit from cats like you huh?....you already got an excuse waiting in the bag....it's kinda weird for a guy who hasn't lost since he was a kid to be in a NO WIN situation with CERTAIN fans...I just hope the Krusher fans will RESPECT Ward more afterwards just like the BHop fans do Krusher....it's JUST a competition....NOTHING personal
      Nah, no excuses because I know Kovalev's abilities. He can deal with clinchers. Hopkins tried it early and got check hooked and floored. Sergey also can control the distance and got good foot speed to avoid clinches. I am absolutely sure that Kovalev would beat Ward and I am ready to do a perma ban bet.

Comment

• Originally posted by From Russia View Post
        Nah, no excuses because I know Kovalev's abilities. He can deal with clinchers. Hopkins tried it early and got check hooked and floored. Sergey also can control the distance and got good foot speed to avoid clinches. I am absolutely sure that Kovalev would beat Ward and I am ready to do a perma ban bet.
        oh WOW...that's a lot of confidence LMAO

Comment

• Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
          None of Ward's fights were exciting.

I suffered through Ward-Kessler (Ward should have been DQed) and Ward-Froch. Ward-Dawson was sickening, because poor Chad wasn't much more than a corpse from the weight-draining.

I watched Ward-Miranda, Ward-Bika (referee helped Ward, repeatedly admonishing Bika for fouling while letting Ward use whatever illegal tactics he wanted) Ward-Abraham (Ward used deliberate head butts and clinching) and Ward-Green, during which Ward should have been DQed for excessive holding and repeatedly clamping Green's arms.

I watched Ward-Rodriguez, the shady Jack Reiss was on Ward's side (although to save face, he deducted points from both when Rodriguez retaliated a bit to Ward's dirty tactics).

I didn't bother to watch all of Ward-Smith. In the parts I did watch, Ward was clinching and and clamping like always, even against such an overmatched opponent.

Highlights of Ward-Kessler:

whatever floats your boat, i guess.

Ward-Smith was an exciting fight; Andre Ward returned to the ring, the fight was in front of an Oakland audience that was at least 10k fans strong, Paul Smith didn't fold quickly, Ward got an opportunity to display most of his offensive arsenal, and the dominant performance ended with a definitive ending that sent the crowd home happy.

Similar things can be said for Ward-Dawson (where Ward's offense was able to get him three solid knockdowns and force Dawson to quit) and Kessler-Ward (first major homecoming fight, that Ward was hosting as the underdog, which he willed himself to his first major win).

I liked Ward-Froch (though some folks may not like the aesthetic of all of the infighting) and Ward-Rodriguez wasn't all that good a fight, largely because Edwin realized that he couldn't win by around the 3rd round and simply did what he could to not get stopped.

To hear you tell it, it'd seem as if you're actually trying to argue that Andre Ward has never been in a watchable fight in his entire career, which is bull****.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
            You talk about truth, then go off and say 'likely comped 2k tickets'. Based on what? Give us some facts if you're talking facts.... For all we know over half that arena was comp'd out. They comp'd 1,308 tickets for the Dawson fight, and that's a fight people wanted to see....

Ward's only put atleast 10k people into Oracle Arena one time.

Date-----------Fight-----------------Attendance
            6/20/2015-----Ward/Smith--- -----9,016
            11/16/2013----Ward/Rodriguez----4,158
            9/8/2012-------Ward/Dawson------8,919
            12/17/2011----Ward/Froch---------5,626
            5/14/2011------Ward/Abraham-----5,311
            11/27/2010----Ward/Bika-----------4,100
            6/19/2010------Ward/Green--------8,797
            11/21/2009-----Ward/Kessler------10,277
            5/16/2009------Ward/Miranda ------7,818
            By simply comparing the tickets disclosed as being sold by the CSAC against the announced attendance for the fight. As far as I can tell, no one seems to dispute the numbers that have been stated for Ward-Dawson (~9k tickets sold, ~11k fans in attendance)

Oracle Arena is Andre Ward's home venue, so you look at the fights that he's had in his building:

Ward-Miranda, Kessler-Ward, Ward-Green, Ward-Bika, Ward-Dawson, and Ward-Smith. (bold for the major marketable fights).

Oracle, for basketball games, seats just short of 20k fans at full capacity; you add in the floor seats that you can accommodate around the boxing ring, and you can probably push that full capacity number up to 21k.

As a person who was actually there for the fight, I can say that the ringside seats were near completely filled in and that the entire lower bowl of Oracle Arena was filled in, sans a single cordoned-off section.

The the Ward-Dawson pattern holds, which is my assumption, you can rather easily extrapolate a guess at the paid vs comped split of tickets, especially having a decent scope of how many people were actually in the building that night. not that difficult

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
              By simply comparing the tickets disclosed as being sold by the CSAC against the announced attendance for the fight. As far as I can tell, no one seems to dispute the numbers that have been stated for Ward-Dawson (~9k tickets sold, ~11k fans in attendance)

Oracle Arena is Andre Ward's home venue, so you look at the fights that he's had in his building:

Ward-Miranda, Kessler-Ward, Ward-Green, Ward-Bika, Ward-Dawson, and Ward-Smith. (bold for the major marketable fights).

Oracle, for basketball games, seats just short of 20k fans at full capacity; you add in the floor seats that you can accommodate around the boxing ring, and you can probably push that full capacity number up to 21k.

As a person who was actually there for the fight, I can say that the ringside seats were near completely filled in and that the entire lower bowl of Oracle Arena was filled in, sans a single cordoned-off section.

The the Ward-Dawson pattern holds, which is my assumption, you can rather easily extrapolate a guess at the paid vs comped split of tickets, especially having a decent scope of how many people were actually in the building that night. not that difficult
              Ward/Dawson actually sold 7,611 tickets and comp'd 1,308 tickets. I listed a break out of 'attendance', not sold.

Comment

Working...
              X