Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can Canelo beat Cotto?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My biggest fear for Cotto is him walking into an exchange and eating a mean ass uppercut.. he sometimes bends his head over and when he does is a sucker for that shot. Pacquiao, Mayweather, Margarito even MAYORGA caught him with some game changing ones. We all know Canelo is equipped with a highly explosive combination game, he can wear a lot of hats in that respect. If any punch will be the difference maker it's going to be this for Canelo.

Otherwise the left hook, straight right, uppercut is all there for the taking. It's a dangerous neighborhood Cotto has to cross in order to crack that ginger chin. Shorter arm span. Lighter sized. Plus he's facing someone arguably stronger(!) who doesn't give up the backfoot, will stand his ground and respond to aggression with even badder intentions.
    The hand speed favors Cotto on the inside with his stubbier limbs and tighter room to crank out his patented left hook/ring cutting jab. Unless Cotto can drag Saul through mud for 6-8 rds the mid-range belongs to the youngster capable of soaking in more damage and unloading waves of counterpunches liable to chip away at Cotto.

I fucks wit Cotto on this one on a points win. Canelo has a tremendous size advantage that I feel becomes his DOWNFALL on account of Miguel's mobility+heavy handedness bailing him out of trouble spots.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
      To beat him from what i have seen you either have to have swift feet and outbox him,or you have to be a pressure fighter tough enough to walk thru his assault and wear him down..

And from what i have seen of Canelo he has very slow feet and has to be planted in order to set up his combo's,movement really bothers him and Cotto does have good movement even tho at times he does stop and become stationary. Canelos only chance imo will be in the exchanges and even then i think Cotto is the quicker sharper puncher.

Neither really take punches well and reset when hit but Cotto has shown more grit in the past. I just dont see how Canelo can be the favorite here,he does not fit the mold of a fighter to trouble cotto

Cotto has good movement in the beginning of the fight but he tires and gets sloppy. Canelo is a better counter puncher with quicker hands, he will be countering cotto on the outside when cotto gets sloppy. Cotto is the better inside fighter, he should look to go there even with his size disadvantages.

I dont see how youre saying cotto is the quicker of the two, I dont see that at all. Maybe because cotto looks fast compared to guys hes been draining from 160 but canelo's hands are clearly faster to me.

I think Canelo's chin is a lot better than Cotto's, I dont read much into the jose cotto fight from like 5 years ago.

Other advantages for cotto, experience obviously and trainer. I would be worried about canelo having over training to make weight better and also if things are going as planned and he has to make adjustments mid fight, his corner is pretty ****ty.
      Last edited by elfag; 10-31-2015, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyper Knuckles View Post
        My biggest fear for Cotto is him walking into an exchange and eating a mean ass uppercut.. he sometimes bends his head over and when he does is a sucker for that shot. Pacquiao, Mayweather, Margarito even MAYORGA caught him with some game changing ones. We all know Canelo is equipped with a highly explosive combination game, he can wear a lot of hats in that respect. If any punch will be the difference maker it's going to be this for Canelo.

Otherwise the left hook, straight right, uppercut is all there for the taking. It's a dangerous neighborhood Cotto has to cross in order to crack that ginger chin. Shorter arm span. Lighter sized. Plus he's facing someone arguably stronger(!) who doesn't give up the backfoot, will stand his ground and respond to aggression with even badder intentions.
        The hand speed favors Cotto on the inside with his stubbier limbs and tighter room to crank out his patented left hook/ring cutting jab. Unless Cotto can drag Saul through mud for 6-8 rds the mid-range belongs to the youngster capable of soaking in more damage and unloading waves of counterpunches liable to chip away at Cotto.

I fucks wit Cotto on this one on a points win. Canelo has a tremendous size advantage that I feel becomes his DOWNFALL on account of Miguel's mobility+heavy handedness bailing him out of trouble spots.

ditto for zab judah. mayweather actually said post fight interview when they asked him, he saw judah landing the uppercut in their fight which is why he was looking to use it.

Comment

Size, explosive punching, speed, combinations.

Canelo is going to be the first live body Cotto has fought in a while. Unlike Canelo.

If boxing doesn't work, Canelo can have success walking him down.

Comment

I've got Canelo hurting Cotto bad at some point with a right uppercut while Cotto is shifting left or right.

Comment

Those are good points Larry. Cotto looked very good boxing Geale, but where I disagree with you is with the dynamic that will play out during the exchanges. I think Canelo is much sturdier than Cotto at this point in his career and he can probably hurt Cotto more than what Cotto can hurt him.

I think Cotto's best chance is to straight up box Canelo like he did in his second fight with Margarito. Also, just because Miguel has only lost to people that either moved very well or overwhelmed him, does not mean he can't lose to another style. Like someone mentioned, Cotto had really close fights against Mosley and Clottey. In both of those fights Cotto was the younger fighter, maybe this time that he's on the other side of the age factor he might end up on the losing side of an equally close fight.

Comment

Counter Cotto's jabbing with stiff right hands like he did with Trout who outboxed Cotto.

It's not a very easy fight to bet on because we really don't know how good Cotto is given that he's been fighting leftovers nor how much Canelo is killing himself to make 155/how big he will be fight night. But Cotto usually drops the ball in big fights.
                Last edited by ////; 10-31-2015, 10:14 AM.

Comment

It's a close a$$ fight. Both are roughly around the same size dimension wise. Canelo isn't much taller, nor longer. The skills both possess are above average. I don't agree with anyone who knows for sure who's gonna win. Cotto hasn't been outboxed by many, Canelo just once and both are about as good as the best the other has faced. Can't wait!!

Comment

I got Cotto by late TKO, anyone wanna bet some points?? xD

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                      It's a close a$$ fight. Both are roughly around the same size dimension wise. Canelo isn't much taller, nor longer. The skills both possess are above average. I don't agree with anyone who knows for sure who's gonna win. Cotto hasn't been outboxed by many, Canelo just once and both are about as good as the best the other has faced. Can't wait!!
                      Im with Bush! Pun intended

Comment

Working...
                      X