Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golovkin vs Jacobs in the UK???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would sell well in terms of tickets but not PPV. We only pay about 20 dollars for PPV so it would need to do 250k to generate 5m which is probably more than what Frampton-Quigg did.

Comment

If Golovkin wins, impresses people and the numbers are good, it would mean potential fights with Eubank, BJS, DeGale would be bigger than if he'd never fought here. But I don't ever see GGG-Jacobs being a UK PPV fight. Not sure how much love Jacobs-Quillin got in the US but over here no casuals cared about it and no one knows Jacobs.

British fans are passionate but they are also patriotic to the point that I don't see Golovkin filling large venues and selling PPVs against non-British opponents without a lot changing. Kovalev looked great destroying Cleverly in the UK but none of his fights since would've done well here and him fighting Ward here wouldn't sell well either.

No point mentioning Joshua as co-feature as of course it sells in those circumstances. My aunt vs my uncle would sell on UK PPV if Anthony Joshua was co-feature and they've been dead 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
        That's not true (especially if DiBella/Haymon win the bid, as I doubt that K2 is ready to put anywhere near $6m behind winning the bid).

K2 bids $4m ($3m to Golovkin, $1m to Jacobs, any upside staying on K2's side), dBE/Haymon bids $4.5m ($3.4m to Golovkin, $1.1m to Jacobs, any upside staying with dBE).

With $4.5 on the line, DiBella simply needs to maximize the money on his side; sponsorship/site fee from Barclays Center, Showtime's support for SHOPPV vs what Showtime Championship Boxing is willing to pay, what type of interest can the event draw from UK TV, what type of interest can the event draw in Montreal, what type of money can be commanded for the fight in Germany, what does the money for the rest of the EU/Eastern Europe, what type of sponsorships can be drummed up for the event, etc.

Add it up all of the pieces (with Jacobs being cut in on the upside, as his promoter bears sole responsibility for the event), and Jacobs is going to make out just fine on the fight (should easily take home more than he got on the Quillin fight), with the chance to launch into the stratosphere were he to actually win the fight.

Beyond that, if K2 was actually open to risking $4m on an event, they would've done it already for their top fighter.

Just stop. You're the same tard who said Haymon would force Golovkin/Wade to purse bid and Golovkin would have to vacate.

Haymon/Showtime lost major money on the Quillin/Jacobs fight, you're arguing about Haymon making money off of Golovkin. K2 knows the market potential for the fight and that's what they would bid.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
          If Golovkin wins, impresses people and the numbers are good, it would mean potential fights with Eubank, BJS, DeGale would be bigger than if he'd never fought here. But I don't ever see GGG-Jacobs being a UK PPV fight. Not sure how much love Jacobs-Quillin got in the US but over here no casuals cared about it and no one knows Jacobs.

British fans are passionate but they are also patriotic to the point that I don't see Golovkin filling large venues and selling PPVs against non-British opponents without a lot changing. Kovalev looked great destroying Cleverly in the UK but none of his fights since would've done well here and him fighting Ward here wouldn't sell well either.

No point mentioning Joshua as co-feature as of course it sells in those circumstances. My aunt vs my uncle would sell on UK PPV if Anthony Joshua was co-feature and they've been dead 20 years.
          Jack/DeGale have til Sept 13th to make their fight, otherwise Jack will have to fight Callum Smith, and that could free DeGale up for a Golovkin fight in December (assuming Saunders and Jacobs don't want it).

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
            That fight screams "NYC"

Jacobs is from BK and Golovkin has a history in NY already.

No brainer there.

There is the issue now though with NY raising their insurance costs the Promoter has to front which is now $1 Mill.
            The premium on the new extra insurance rule, from my reading of it, isn't an event killer for the marquee events; fights at big fights at Barclays Center or MSG should still be good.

The issue comes for basically every other fight card; with the new rules, again from what I've read, it no longer makes sense, financially, for promoters to run events at the Theater at MSG or other, smaller venues.

Comment

Originally posted by -DSG- View Post
              Why do 12k at Barclays when they could pack MSG to the rafters?
              1)Barclays Center seats well more than 12k people

2) Brooklyn Boxing [the umbrella that I'll put all boxing coming from the Barclays cadre of venues] and Lou DiBella have already built the New York audience to the point that the New York boxing fan is regularly coming out for the fights.

3)I'm fairly certain that Barclays Center won't have their tickets priced at/near $20

4)If Golovkin doesn't have the type of heat to help bring in enough money to sell out Barclays Center, on top of the effort that Brooklyn Boxing/Lou DiBella have done to build the market, Golovkin is for sure not worth the money that he's seemingly looking for to fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
                Just stop. You're the same tard who said Haymon would force Golovkin/Wade to purse bid and Golovkin would have to vacate.

Haymon/Showtime lost major money on the Quillin/Jacobs fight, you're arguing about Haymon making money off of Golovkin. K2 knows the market potential for the fight and that's what they would bid.
                Golovkin-Wade didn't go to purse bid because K2 literally paid Wade 5 times the money he's ever seen for a fight. K2 will do no such thing to circumvent a Jacobs bid.

Showtime/Haymon, rightly or wrongly, have invested their money in putting on Jacobs-Quillin, with that fight ending in a highlight reel KO. I have no doubt that Showtime/Haymon is going to keep investing in Daniel Jacobs, especially at this point.

If Jacobs gets the job done, Showtime has a budding PPV fighter and NYC draw, to go along with Wilder, Joshua, Danny Garcia, Kell Brook, Stevenson (possibly Ward as well), and the rest of the rising talent coming along in the seeming SHO/PBC orbit (have said this for some time now, but PBC ending up with CBS/Viacom, with fights aired on CBS, Showtime, SpikeTV, CBS Sports Network, etc, has always been the most obvious outcome).

Daniel Jacobs is a 29-year old, American, top middleweight fighter out of Brooklyn, NYC, who's fought back from cancer, is well spoken, has a touch of edge to him, but comes to the table with no skeletons, and a real community backing him; Showtime/Haymon know the market potential for Jacobs as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                  Golovkin-Wade didn't go to purse bid because K2 literally paid Wade 5 times the money he's ever seen for a fight. K2 will do no such thing to circumvent a Jacobs bid.

Showtime/Haymon, rightly or wrongly, have invested their money in putting on Jacobs-Quillin, with that fight ending in a highlight reel KO. I have no doubt that Showtime/Haymon is going to keep investing in Daniel Jacobs, especially at this point.

If Jacobs gets the job done, Showtime has a budding PPV fighter and NYC draw, to go along with Wilder, Joshua, Danny Garcia, Kell Brook, Stevenson (possibly Ward as well), and the rest of the rising talent coming along in the seeming SHO/PBC orbit (have said this for some time now, but PBC ending up with CBS/Viacom, with fights aired on CBS, Showtime, SpikeTV, CBS Sports Network, etc, has always been the most obvious outcome).

Daniel Jacobs is a 29-year old, American, top middleweight fighter out of Brooklyn, NYC, who's fought back from cancer, is well spoken, has a touch of edge to him, but comes to the table with no skeletons, and a real community backing him; Showtime/Haymon know the market potential for Jacobs as well.
                  K2 paid Wade $500k, which the going rate for a mediocre Golovkin opponent. Stop pretending they broke the bank for Wade, lol. Curtis Stevens got $350k three years earlier. Geale got $600k coming off his loss to Barker.

Jacobs a budding ppv star? We're done...

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
                    K2 paid Wade $500k, which the going rate for a mediocre Golovkin opponent. Stop pretending they broke the bank for Wade, lol. Curtis Stevens got $350k three years earlier. Geale got $600k coming off his loss to Barker.

Jacobs a budding ppv star? We're done...
                    Willie Monroe Jr got $100k. You look at Golovkin's last 10 opponents and how many of them earned $500k?

nice try

Comment

Whoever wins the purse bid that where the fight goes

Comment

Working...
                      X