Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miguel Cotto at his peak. Would you consider him a GREAT fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's hard to say. He lost to the best fighters he ever fought and even in his "peak" some people dont even think he beat a past his Shane (no shame in that) so it's hard to say. Although he was the champ in those fights, it's almost as if Cotto was (is) a great challenger to the perceived "great" fighters of the era. He belongs on the list of the better fighters of his time but in the grand scheme of things. He's like the 6th man in the NBA. He could probably help carry a lesser team as a starter, but when he plays with the big dogs he is just a bit short

Comment

Get the **** out of here, of course he is/was a great fighter. OMFG.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
        There is nothing wrong with Cotto not being a "great" btw

he's been a fantastic TV fighter, entertaining, memorable, popular, made millions.

not bad at all
        Yeah not every fighter can be, or has to be, an all time great.

Giving the fans exciting fights and great memories is what matters most imo.

Comment

Originally posted by YOKOMOHOYO View Post
          I agree 100% with this.

Someone mentioned Margarito , and hand wraps or not Margarito's style (pressure/volume) was all wrong for Cotto. Experience in the fighter and corner could have changed the outcome of that fight I believe. The way Cotto fought in the second fight by pushing and clinching and not wasting energy trying to "completely outbox" Margarito would have worked in the first on IMO. That was the first fight in which we all saw Cotto's bigest flaw , which I think is his stamina.

But I love how Cotto can mix it up in so many ways. He got wins over good fighters , but never really dominated anyone great. He still has a change as he is still fighting , but he has fought almost everybody that he has a chance of. Anyone of significance that is. Only fighter which he can still fight and get a quality win is Sergio , but that fight possibly wont end well for him.
          I have to Add... if those punches that Cotto landed on Margacheato were landed on some other opponent that guy was to going to be Koed. Margarito is a freak in the chin dept plus he doesn't waste anergy moving or dodging punches since he just takes it and keep going forward (LOL Warior).

PS. The plaster faded Cotto

Comment

Definitely a great fighter...
            War Cotto!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
              The judges gave Cotto two pity rounds but it was basically a shut out.
              BS I gave Cotto 5 solid rounds. A lot of people saw it that way

Comment

Originally posted by Puya View Post
                BS I gave Cotto 5 solid rounds. A lot of ricans saw it that way
                Yeah they did

Comment

Originally posted by Puya View Post
                  BS I gave Cotto 5 solid rounds. A lot of people saw it that way
                  Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
                  Yeah they did
                  Good to know you agree!!

Comment

just exactly who did this porto rican can crusher beat in his peak?

Comment

People who say no "because he lost against Pac/Floyd" are just dumb.

Who has won against Floyd? Yeah, that is correct. None.

Who has beat Pac since he became the monster he was (and he was at his absolute peack vs Cotto)? Yeah, same thing. None. ...and the the win may be shaddy due to the catch weight and no corner on the Cotto camp.

Why will Pac not fight him at the max weight like Floyd did? Yeah, he dont want none.

Cotto will be a HOF!

#warcotto

Comment

Working...
                      X