No announcement yet.

I cannot believe what I've been reading from fellow Floyd fans about Williams

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by audibleone View Post
    Floyd has now retired leaving us with memories of his brilliance inside and outside of the ring. But as we all know towards the end of his career, there was a cry from the boxing world for him to set aside his quest for money and fame and exercise his duty as the welterweight champion and defend his title against the worthiest of challengers such as Miguel Cotto. For at least one fight.

So the boxing world asked, but Floyd declined and his most die hard fans justified and defended his decisions to by pass the responsibilities and commitments the labels "Undisputed Welterweight Champion" and "#1 P4P Fighter" brought upon the possessor. According to may hardcore Floyd fans in this site, Floyd did not need to fight anyone the boxing world asked, but only who Floyd wanted to fight. According to these hardcore Floyd fans, this was not an indication of cowardice, but more an indication of independence and business savvy.

Now that there is no more Undisputed WW champion, this has put Cotto in the unofficial spot as the world's best welterweight fighter. But as Floyd is gone, Paul Williams is back. Now, Williams is perceived as the biggest threat to the best welterweight fighter by some, but most emphatically, by Floyd's fans. The same fans that were supposed die hard supporters of Williams who claimed Cotto was ducking Williams, the same fans that were NO WHERE to be seen when Williams was outclassed by Quintana. But now that Williams has destructively avenged his loss to Quintana, now the loss he suffered does not matter anymore? So the fact that Williams was COMPLETELY outclassed, embarrassed by an underdog is not a variable in the equation anymore? There is even talk on the forum from some who are saying because of the way Williams fought, he would be more competitive than Cotto against Floyd regardless of the fact tha Williams was out boxed horribly in the first match with Quintana which would most likely be the case X10 against Mayweather.Dare I say that the gross overrating of Williams has returned?

What we are seeing now are DEMANDS from those Floyd fans who are supposed Williams supporters DEMANDING that Cotto face Williams. What we are seeing now, are these same Floyd fans declaring that boxing is a sport where the best fight the best, therefore Cotto who is thought to be the best welterweight by the boxing community needs to prove that he is the best by fighting Williams. What we are seeing now are Floyd fans claiming that Cotto vs. Williams is the best welterweight fight that can be made, therefore, it should be made. And according to these same Floyd fans, if Cotto doesn't face Williams, he is a coward and hurting the sport of boxing.

So let us recap this a little further..

Floyd was the Undisputed Welterweight Champion, but he didn't need to fight any welterweights, none the less, Miguel Cotto. But Miguel Cotto HAS to fight Paul Williams because Cotto is NOW the best welterweight alive and that is what the best does........except for Floyd.

When Floyd was the Undisputed Welterweight Champion and P4P King, if he didn't fight the biggest challenges, according to the Floyd diehards, he had the right to choose what he did because they were "sound financial decisions", but if Cotto doesn't fight Williams, he is a coward because boxing is a sport where the best fight the best.............except for Floyd.

When Floyd was the Undisputed Welterweight Champion and P4P King, Boxing was a business above a sport. Therefore, fighting the best challengers was secondary or even not a priority above making sound financial decisions. So regardless that Mayweather vs. Cotto was the best fight to be made and the only fight that was logical in the welterweight division, it didn't make financial sense so it couldn't happen. But now that Floyd is gone and Cotto is considered the unofficial welterweight king and Williams is supposedly the next best opponent, the fight MUST be made regardless of the fact that Williams is still virtually unknown because NOW boxing is a sport above a business where the best MUST face the best.....except for when Floyd was still active.

It almost seems that these Floyd die hards would jump on ANY fighter who can be thought of as a major threat to Cotto plainly because they were not happy with Cotto being thought of the only threat to Mayweather. If Clottey hadn't lost to Margarito, would we be seeing a Clottey bandwagon from Floyd die hards as we see for Williams? I think so. It is amazing how the win of someone who may still be highly overrated has exposed the true nature and agenda of certain boxing fans.

You guys have no shame.
    Actually they've been asking him to step it up soon after the Castillo fights when he went into fighting soft opposition after Castillo scare.

And you can't say just one fight against Cotto when even the boxing media wanted him to fight Margarito!!!!

Great post (even though i disaggree with you on the points above that i mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by ferocity View Post
      Actually they've been asking him to step it up soon after the Castillo fights when he went into fighting soft opposition after Castillo scare.

And you can't say just one fight against Cotto when even the boxing media wanted him to fight Margarito!!!!

Great post (even though i disaggree with you on the points above that i mentioned.
      Well, Judah and De La Hoya weren't necessarily soft opposition, but thank you.

Comment

Working...
      X