Collapse
No announcement yet.

Politics and Current Events Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I'll tell you all about myself. I'm a political science major right now and if I pass the one class I'm taking over the summer I'll get my associates in criminal justice. I consider myself a moderate, but many times I can go left or right, depending on the issue.

As for the article that sonny posted, it doesn't surprise me what is going on in NYC, but it does seem out there considereing what I am used to; and I'm about an hour or so from there. I try to put myself in their shows but in reality I can't, so I still can't see why they have a need to demonstrate.

Comment

Is this a political issue or a moral one?
      Or is there a difference?

I believe that somehow young people need to be edjucated about people who are different from them, especially concerning minorities.

But where does that happen? In schools or at home? A big parade in the middle of the street? lol.
      Probably not!, but i dont have a problem with that.
      Two guys fighting is worse than two guys kissing IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Sonny !!
        This is a hot topic but I will throw it out there anyway because it is in the news. Remember keep discussions respectful.

From N.Y. to S.F., a weekend of gay pride

NEW YORK - Tens of thousands of raucous parade-goers braved a steady downpour and lined Fifth Avenue on Sunday for the annual gay pride parade, an event that comes just weeks after an attack on a popular gay singer and the 25th anniversary of the start of the AIDS epidemic.

Outrageous costumes were abundant all along the parade route, including men in short skirts and tiaras and long-legged drag queens in knee-high boots. The floats and marchers also turned Fifth Avenue into a sea of rainbows.

“Everyone else has a chance to express their affection freely, and for one day in New York, you can be free and not feel ashamed or embarrassed,” said Roberto Hermosilla of Miami, who was attending his ninth parade.

It was one of several gay pride parades around the country this weekend, including a similar-size one in San Francisco.

The theme of New York’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride March was “The Fight for Love and Life,” but there was plenty of talk about hate following the suspected gay-bashing attack of singer Kevin Aviance last month in Manhattan. Aviance has recovered and was expected to take part in the parade.

“A few hateful ****phobes will not set us back,” said City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, who is openly gay and marched in the parade.

Greater focus on HIV and AIDS
        The parade also took place just weeks after the 25th anniversary of the start of the AIDS epidemic, and city leaders used the event to call for a greater focus on combating HIV and AIDS.

On Saturday, thousands gathered for the 25th Stonewall Columbus parade in Ohio. Michael Eblin, marching in his first parade, followed a black Hummer pulling a float of men. A cross-dresser in a beaded white gown perched atop the vehicle, holding a sign reading “The Closet.”

“For the first time, I’m going to be part of a majority,” the 18-year-old Eblin said just before the parade began.

A boy along the route wearing blue tie-dye held up a sign: “2 Moms. 2 Dads. Too Cool.”

The New York parade attracted diverse segments of the gay community. One contingent was a group of former and current yeshiva students who held up signs saying, “Jewish? Orthodox? Gay? You are not alone.”

The parades commemorate the Stonewall uprising of 1969, when patrons of a New York gay bar resisted a police raid.

‘Apex of gay visibility’
        The New York Police Department said reports of anti-gay bias crimes totaled 25 through mid-June — compared with 19 over the same period in 2005.

But Clarence Patton, executive director of the New York City Gay & Lesbian Anti-Violence Project, said anti-gay and transgender incidents tend to spike in June because of the high-profile events that are held such as the parade.

“It’s like the apex of gay visibility,” he said.
        Sorry to hear about the singer.

Hate is hate; and if gays are hated for being gay, that's just as wrong as hating a person for being a Jew or being a Muslim or being Black or Chinese or whatever. There is no room for hate in this world, yet we overflow with it. There are plenty of people to dispise and be mad at and seek justice against who have committed countless crimes and acts of injustice upon the innocent without having to release such a violence-laden emotion on a group of people for the sole reason of their difference from the accepted norm.

Good for the Gays. The parades put them out there for heteros to see; and while there might be some negative reactions of disgust and misunderstanding, the only way to defeat ignorance which gives birth to hate is through positive exposure and education. If you see your gay neighbor is essentially the same as you as a human and that his/her sexual preference doesn't have anything to do with their personal character, the more likely you are to accept them as fellow humans. Acceptance of all forms of humanity, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, and sexual orientation is the key to peace....which is what we all need.

Comment

Originally posted by K-DOGG
          Sorry to hear about the singer.

Hate is hate; and if gays are hated for being gay, that's just as wrong as hating a person for being a Jew or being a Muslim or being Black or Chinese or whatever. There is no room for hate in this world, yet we overflow with it. There are plenty of people to dispise and be mad at and seek justice against who have committed countless crimes and acts of injustice upon the innocent without having to release such a violence-laden emotion on a group of people for the sole reason of their difference from the accepted norm.

Good for the Gays. The parades put them out there for heteros to see; and while there might be some negative reactions of disgust and misunderstanding, the only way to defeat ignorance which gives birth to hate is through positive exposure and education. If you see your gay neighbor is essentially the same as you as a human and that his/her sexual preference doesn't have anything to do with their personal character, the more likely you are to accept them as fellow humans. Acceptance of all forms of humanity, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, and sexual orientation is the key to peace....which is what we all need.
          once again, i agree with you K-Dogg.

i have had gay and lesbian friends (not currently because we grew apart when i moved here to BFE, lol!), so you can tell where i am on this issue. but i must say that when i hear about violence against children or see a clip of it on TV (news) or in a movie, it physically makes me sick and angry.

but almost as bad is the sickness and anger i feel when i watch a news clip or movie about unprovoked hate crimes and violence against minorities, ****sexuals, or religious groups - basically a hate crime against someone due to some sort of prejudice and nothing else. i can barely watch it. the depths of blind hatred toward another human being for being different in some way just astounds me and makes me ashamed.

Comment

Originally posted by * Fiesty Wench

i have had gay and lesbian friends (not currently because we grew apart when i moved here to BFE, lol!), so you can tell where i am on this issue. but i must say that when i hear about violence against children or see a clip of it on TV (news) or in a movie, it physically makes me sick and angry.

but almost as bad is the sickness and anger i feel when i watch a news clip or movie about unprovoked hate crimes and violence against minorities, ****sexuals, or religious groups - basically a hate crime against someone due to some sort of prejudice and nothing else. i can barely watch it. the depths of blind hatred toward another human being for being different in some way just astounds me and makes me ashamed.
            Here's the bright side...more and more people are growing into that feeling you just described you feel at such atrocities. So, we, as a society, are moving forward, if ever so slowly...but we are moving forward.

Comment

I'm not promoting hate crimes against ****sexuals or anyone else. You guys are taking a stand which is very easy to defend. Only a lunatic wants to go out and torture or kill somebody just for being different. I think it is great for children to be socialized to respect people of other races and religions both in school and the home. But I do not want my children to be taught about sex of any kind in school at the tender ages of 7 & 8. I sure as hell do not want them taught that ****sexuality is a perfectly acceptable alternative lifestyle as is happening in some public school districts. Those discussions are best left to the parents.

As for the "parades", I'm glad those are held far away from my little town. I've been in NYC during one of their parades and they are extremely risque. No place for children in my opinion.

Comment

I feel the same way about child abuse. I can't even watch a show about it on tv because it gets me so upset. The last one I saw was about those ****ing Munchausen syndrome by proxy people. I wanted to jump through the tv and rip their shriveled up black hearts right out of their chests.

Comment

I'm not promoting hate crimes against ****sexuals or anyone else. You guys are taking a stand which is very easy to defend. Only a lunatic wants to go out and torture or kill somebody just for being different. I think it is great for children to be socialized to respect people of other races and religions both in school and the home. But I do not want my children to be taught about sex of any kind in school at the tender ages of 7 & 8. I sure as hell do not want them taught that ****sexuality is a perfectly acceptable alternative lifestyle as is happening in some public school districts. Those discussions are best left to the parents.

As for the "parades", I'm glad those are held far away from my little town. I've been in NYC during one of their parades and they are extremely risque. No place for children in my opinion.
                  i respect your opinion and i was definitely not suggesting that you think violence against these people are okay.
                  i was just referring to those really prejudiced people out there that actually commit hate crimes.

Comment

I feel the same way about child abuse. I can't even watch a show about it on tv because it gets me so upset. The last one I saw was about those ****ing Munchausen syndrome by proxy people. I wanted to jump through the tv and rip their shriveled up black hearts right out of their chests.
                    i've actually had to deal with 2 differnt mothers who have this. i have to make an effort not inflict bodily harm on these people.

Comment

i respect your opinion and i was definitely not suggesting that you think violence against these people are okay.
                      i was just referring to those really prejudiced people out there that actually commit hate crimes.

Oh I know you weren't.

Happily I've never even known anyone personally who was like that.

Comment

Working...
                      X